Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2008, 20:41   #1
God Member

crime and punishment

Maybe it's just a US thing , but does anyone else see a disparity in punishment for various crimes, seems to me people get a bigger sentance for thieving and financial crimes than for physical violence against another persons
anyone care to comment about the rights or wrongs of this
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2008, 20:46   #2
God Member

Re: crime and punishment

This is the true Labour legacy here. Longer jail sentences for tax fraud than for rape and murder. It really is disgusting and reveals the priorities of the men at the top.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 21:02   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Maybe it's just a US thing , but does anyone else see a disparity in punishment for various crimes, seems to me people get a bigger sentance for thieving and financial crimes than for physical violence against another persons
anyone care to comment about the rights or wrongs of this
Does this mean a lot of Bankers and Mortgage Brokers will be getting life sentences over there then?
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 21:24   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Does this mean a lot of Bankers and Mortgage Brokers will be getting life sentences over there then?
If I was a Judge the would , but as usual they will walk away with their 'golden parachutes' , one guy who was hired earlier this month to head Washington Mutual , a bank which failed last week will walk away with a 16 milloin dollar 'severance package' for less than a months work ....disgusting
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 21:25   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
This is the true Labour legacy here. Longer jail sentences for tax fraud than for rape and murder. It really is disgusting and reveals the priorities of the men at the top.
Violent crime and crimes against the person are on the up and through lack of forsight by the government there is no room at the Inn to lock them up and many of them get away with a smacked wrist.
In order to keep the prosecution figures up the 'White Collar' fraudsters can be locked up in open prisons where there is room, these establishments can be extended with little extra cost.
Life should mean life and all violent crimes should carry the full tariff for the crime without remission.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 21:41   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Life should mean life and all violent crimes should carry the full tariff for the crime without remission.
That's what I think, that's what you think, that's what I would estimate around 90% of the population think. Unfortunately our views aren't shared by the hierarchy of the Labour, Tory and Lib/Dem parties, the judiciary and other members of the ruling classes. So don't expect commonsense measures like this to be implemented anytime soon.
Old 29-09-2008, 21:49   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

common sense died years ago, R.I.P. commonsense.
Old 29-09-2008, 21:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

Actually I think you will find going back decades that crimes against the establishment are punished harsher than crimes against the person. I remember some horrendous sentencing in the eighties.

People are not as important as the banking or finance world to the judiciary.
Old 29-09-2008, 21:58   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
Actually I think you will find going back decades that crimes against the establishment are punished harsher than crimes against the person. I remember some horrendous sentencing in the eighties.

I know this is thread wander but life is like that:
I was going to start a new thread but it seems sensible forum members are on here.
Do you think that the Banks are getting their comuppence for many years of mismanagement and lack of control?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 22:01   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post

the "Great Train Robbers" got 30 yrs min in the 60s, cos it was government money, at that time average lifer was doing approx 16 yrs.
Old 29-09-2008, 22:06   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Do you think that the Banks are getting their comuppence for many years of mismanagement and lack of control?
Can't see many of the fat cats who run these institutions and have caused these problems suffering very much. It'll be us lot who'll carry the can for their misdemeanors with job losses, falling pension funds and the rest.
Old 30-09-2008, 00:05   #12
God Member

I was watching an old episode of 'Porridge' the other day, Fletcher and Godber were discussing disparity in sentencing, Godber said it seemed car thieves were receiving longer sentences than murderers. "That's because it takes ten minutes to make a car and only two minutes to make a life", said Fletch. This series was made in the 1970s. Nothing's changed much.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 00:15   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I was watching an old episode of 'Porridge' the other day, Fletcher and Godber were discussing disparity in sentencing, Godber said it seemed car thieves were receiving longer sentences than murderers. "That's because it takes ten minutes to make a car and only two minutes to make a life", said Fletch. This series was made in the 1970s. Nothing's changed much.
twas a great comedy that, but much of the sarcastic wit was very apt.
Old 30-09-2008, 10:21   #14
Resting in Peace

Well I'm one of those people who think a murderer who kills in cold blood, life should mean life, with no parole. There is a lot to admire about the american system of sentencing, things like 25 years to life, meaning they are not concidered for parole until they've served 25 years. having said that I'm not keen on the plea bargaining, but it seems to work for the Yanks
Old 01-10-2008, 09:43   #15
Super Moderator

Here's a prime example of the way the "intelligensia" think about this subject...

Tory Party conference: Cherie Blair booed by victims' families over human rights - Telegraph

Sad...really sad.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..