Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2012, 18:18   #31
JFT96

Re: Cruising

Very true Eric, we live in a blame culture world.
When accidents happen, very rarely is it one event, more likely several things contribute to it, 'the Swiss Cheese effect' when all the holes line up.....
Sad really

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2012, 20:45   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Probably won't learn much at all ... but, in this media mad world, there seems to be a need for a fall guy. And the only place they seem to look is on the bridge, or on the flight deck.
True Eric, I still believe in accidents and human falibility. We all make mistakes and even the most sophisticated technology can fail or be affected by outside agents.

People die every day in the strangest of circumstances - there isn't always a reason or a person to blame. Responsibility is hard to pin down at times and the genuine fatality through accident has become a rarity with the American "blame" culture.

For people in positions of responsibility it's a kind of lottery - bad day at the "office" - you could be the scapegoat.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 20:57   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Very true Eric, we live in a blame culture world.
When accidents happen, very rarely is it one event, more likely several things contribute to it, 'the Swiss Cheese effect' when all the holes line up.....
Sad really
I've been giving this issue a little thought ... maybe it's not only the blame culture. It could also have to do with the general trend to simplification ... dumbing things down .... that we find in the news. To go back to the Exxon Valdez: sure the skipper was drunk; but was there any in depth analysis of the wisdom of transporting oil through those waters? Any question of tanker design? Did any talking head wax poetic about a US economy dependent on fossil fuels? One finds a simple, yet dramatic story something the dumbest viewer can swallow ... then the media runs with this for a while until the next "tragic event." "Pilot error" and "careless, drunken navigators" are much more newsworthy than things which need a little thoughtful analyisis on the part of the viewer. Nothing turns folks off these days like being asked to think beyond the superficial.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 21:02   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Nothing turns folks off these days like being asked to think beyond the superficial.
That's because we've all got used to the "ready meal", pre-packed perfectly shaped fruit and veg etc, etc.

Life ain't perfect, people make mistakes and accidents happen.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-01-2012, 21:46   #35
Give, give, give member

We were going to book a Baltic cruise this week, to St. Petersburg, but my travelling companion doesn't fancy life on the high seas now.

Back to the drawing board, after weeks of planning.

Terrible, what's happened in Italy.

Still, there's one good thing, it didn't happen in British waters. The ship would have been stripped bare by scavengers by now.

As happened to the Napoli, when it got beached off Sidmouth, in 2007.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 23:34   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thing is wi this un though,the ship aint sunk, agree wi Eric n B.G. about media n all that crap, but my reckoning is that the fact the ships accessible the cause must surely be easier to identify in the long run.?
Old 16-01-2012, 00:57   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thing is wi this un though,the ship aint sunk, agree wi Eric n B.G. about media n all that crap, but my reckoning is that the fact the ships accessible the cause must surely be easier to identify in the long run.?
Mummy thinks that table, hanging from the roof, won't take the weight of me...and Shelley Winters.

Old 16-01-2012, 04:17   #38
Senior Member+

I don,t mind cruising, wife enjoys it and so long as I can stay away from all that food I'm O.K. My "ship" is a 16ft clipper and two paddles in the middle of "nowhere". Favourite cruise has to be Vancouver to Alaska, happening again in August, hope we have a good "driver" lots of rocks on the way.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 06:05   #39
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Appears the Captain was showing off.

Cruise disaster: Captain 'neared Italian rocks to greet friend on shore’ - Telegraph
Old 16-01-2012, 07:30   #40
Senior Member+

I don't suppose the friend was very impressed.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 09:43   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
True Eric, I still believe in accidents and human fallibility. We all make mistakes and even the most sophisticated technology can fail or be affected by outside agents.

People die every day in the strangest of circumstances - there isn't always a reason or a person to blame. Responsibility is hard to pin down at times and the genuine fatality through accident has become a rarity with the American "blame" culture.

For people in positions of responsibility it's a kind of lottery - bad day at the "office" - you could be the scapegoat.
I actually think that allowing solicitors to advertise on TV was a big mistake, think it was the Major government that brought that in, since then we now have claims culture, their is no longer an accident, there is always somebody to blame. I think that Graham Swann has a lot to answer for in accidents are us society of today, if you do something stupid there's nobody to blame but yourself, well that's what it was but not anymore
Old 16-01-2012, 09:46   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I don't suppose the friend was very impressed.
No suppose he got that sinking feeling
Old 16-01-2012, 11:57   #43
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We were going to book a Baltic cruise this week, to St. Petersburg, but my travelling companion doesn't fancy life on the high seas now.

Oh please think again,You must go to St Petersburg ,That Hermatage Palace is so beautiful,,,,,That was such a fabulous cruise ,we had to go back there a second time,,x
Old 16-01-2012, 13:55   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

I would suggest as an alternative that you look into going on the Orient Express - could be the trip of a lifetime -I know I'd love to do it. That's me thinking "Agatha Christie" adventure/murder mystery in an exotic location though

~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 16-01-2012 at 13:57.
Old 16-01-2012, 14:27   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
Oh please think again,You must go to St Petersburg ,That Hermatage Palace is so beautiful,,,,,That was such a fabulous cruise ,we had to go back there a second time,,x
The Hermitage is the only major gallery I haven't been to. I think it'd be exciting to sail there.

Will go sometime, but by myself.

Back to the drawing board for now.

A restful summer holiday, that isn't as hot as the Med.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..