Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2008, 15:22   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Cutlery manners ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's worth a try Margaret. You're supposed to rock them to cut, which I can't do with my left hand.

Let us know how you get on with it.
But you eat with your fork with the right hand in this new culture ...unless you are left-handed of course.

Are there left handed/right handed ones ? The picture looks like made for right handed people.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2008, 15:28   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
But you eat with your fork with the right hand in this new culture ...unless you are left-handed of course.

Are there left handed/right handed ones ? The picture looks like made for right handed people.
Lol, I've just had to go and root in the cutlery drawer to check.

It has two sharp edges, so I suspect it's for either hand.

I'm naturally right handed, but have to use my left hand now.

Brute force, and an ordinary fork, works for me, without all that rockin' 'n' rollin' you need to do with a Knork.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 16:08   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
not carrying on a conversation with a mouth stuffed with food
Isn't it awful though when you try and time conversation, you make a remark, put food in your mouth, then your other diner says "Pardon ?".
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 16:50   #19
I am Band

Question Re: Cutlery manners ?

My question is: In which hand should I hold a trench spade when eating, as I find this the quickest & most efficient way of clearing my plate.

P.S. Should one cock one's pinky finger whilst eating with this piece of hardware.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 16:53   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist View Post
P.S. Should one cock one's pinky finger whilst eating with this piece of hardware.
not at the dinnertable please!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 17:19   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
I got confused when eating out when there was more than one knife and fork lol

I was taught 'from the outside in', that is to use the cutlery from the outside first and then use the next ones for main etc...

My parents are from two very different social backgrounds so one side are extremely strict when it comes to table manners and the other side don't give two hoots.....my nan (on the 'bad side' as i used to say) used to read magazines whilst she was eating her dinner once everyone else had left the table!

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 18:46   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Isn't it awful though when you try and time conversation, you make a remark, put food in your mouth, then your other diner says "Pardon ?".

I make 'em wait until I've swallowed it. If they've any sense they'll see my jaws moving and prefer not to risk being sprayed.
Old 18-10-2008, 20:05   #23
Senior Member+

Like using your soup spoon away from you to scoop up the contents; doesn't make sense, has further to travel to yer gob, and tipping the plate towards the centre of the table to grab those last remaining drops. Of course, would do this when out dining, but never at home now ... probably tip the plate directly into my mouth anyway .

This has come from when you are onboard a ship, If the ship rocks from side to side as they do , the person who will get hit with the soup is the person facing you and not yourself . Thats why you tip it away from you .
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 20:18   #24
God Member

this thread takes me back to when i first met Reece's gran (his dads mum)
she had never ever been into McDonalds before, i ordered her meal, took it over to her and she asked me 'where are the knives and forks?'

i couldnt stop giggling for ages
Old 18-10-2008, 20:27   #25
God Member

It seems Accrington is the home of Splades and Sporks

Splades-Sporks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 20:38   #26
God Member

£3.95 each? kin ell

lol
Old 18-10-2008, 20:49   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
£3.95 each? kin ell

lol
didn't check the price , I was imagining about £2 for 100 , (cheap injection molded plastic ) who apart from baby stuff uses plastic cutlery more than once
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 21:27   #28
Accy Goddess

We dont sit at the table to eat, these day's and I love stew butties. yummm
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 21:38   #29
Resident Waffler

Those plastic sporks are supposed to be for camping. They are an ideal all in one piece of cutlery to put in your backpack with the little camping stove and mess tins. (we've got orange) We have some of those triangular stainless steal splayds too. Had them for years. They make great cake forks and are very good for scooping up peas. I can never see the logic of trying to balance peas on the back of a fork. I used to hate eating peas as a child when my mother insisted they should be transported to my mouth on the back of the fork.

As for spooning soup from the back of the bowl I was always told that was so that any drip underneath the spoon had the opportunity to fall into the bowl as the spoon passed over it and not end up down your front.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 21:41   #30
Senior Member+

i eat my peas with honey
i've done it all my life
it makes the peas taste funny
but it keeps them on my knife

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..