Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2011, 10:51   #1
Give, give, give member

Cuts to remain untreated.

900 jobs to go at East Lancashire hospitals

900 jobs to go at East Lancashire hospitals (From Lancashire Telegraph)

We all knew they were coming, but along with seeing other local facilities and services affected, it looks like we'll be experiencing the effects of the cuts in the N.H.S. in this part of the world imminently.

If you're planning to be unwell, I'd advise you do it pronto.

Still, we shouldn't really moan.

After all we've got the royal wedding celebrations in Hyndburn to look forward to.

Let's just hope no one slips on any spilt jelly in the Market Hall, on April 29th.

Last edited by Stanleymad; 27-02-2011 at 12:15. Reason: Edited out pasting from paper - copyright issue
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2011, 11:28   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Cuts to remain untreated.

Maybe the person that insists on sending me 2 reminders for every appointment could be one of them.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 11:33   #3
Resting in Peace

When you look at the figures that for every 1000 clinicians there are 998 support staff, which other organisation would flourish with that much baggage

Last edited by Stanleymad; 27-02-2011 at 12:17. Reason: Took quote out
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 11:45   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When you look at the figures that for every 1000 clinicians there are 998 support staff, which other organisation would flourish with that much baggage
I doubt many, besides the people themselves, would argue with you on that one.

However, it is highly likely we are now going to lose doctors, nurses, and frontline medical staff locally.

Which isn't so good.

Old 27-02-2011, 11:56   #5
Beacon of light

I suppose it depends on how you designate/categorise support staff.
Clinicians would imply Consultants/doctors/radiographers and such like.......support staff could be Nurses/HCA's/ward clerks/Domestic staff/Catering staff........and it is those support staff that you will come into contact with, and who will either make or break your experience of the NHS.

This is just a way to dismantle the NHS and put into private hands........private comapnies do not deliver services on a philanthropic basis, they do it to make a profit, so how the politicians can believe that private enterprise will drive up quality is a mystery to me.

OK contract out some of the cold case surgery...hip replacements, cataract surgery.....but to think that emergency stuff will be done by private enterprise is, quite frankly, scary.
I just hope I don't get sick.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 12:33   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I suppose it depends on how you designate/categorise support staff.
Clinicians would imply Consultants/doctors/radiographers and such like.......support staff could be Nurses/HCAs/ward clerks/Domestic staff/Catering staff........and it is those support staff that you will come into contact with, and who will either make or break your experience of the NHS.

This is just a way to dismantle the NHS and put into private hands........private comapnies do not deliver services on a philanthropic basis, they do it to make a profit, so how the politicians can believe that private enterprise will drive up quality is a mystery to me.

OK contract out some of the cold case surgery...hip replacements, cataract surgery.....but to think that emergency stuff will be done by private enterprise is, quite frankly, scary.
I just hope I don't get sick.
You know as well as I do that Margaret the there is a dearth of paper shufflers in the NHS some on 5 times the wages of the nurse on the ward, the NHS can be a bottomless pit to shovel money into, if only every penny spent was used to gain maximum effect, but it isn't
Old 27-02-2011, 12:46   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You know as well as I do that Margaret the there is a dearth of paper shufflers in the NHS some on 5 times the wages of the nurse on the ward, the NHS can be a bottomless pit to shovel money into, if only every penny spent was used to gain maximum effect, but it isn't
Haven't you already said that?

No one's willing to argue with you on that one.

I'll repeat myself as well then.

Frontline medical staff are going to lose their jobs in this area.

Doctors, nurses, midwives.

Try asking anyone who works in maternity how they think that will impact on their already overstretched wards.

Old 27-02-2011, 13:31   #8
Beacon of light

Quote:

I think you might want to rephrase that John.........a dearth is a scarcity...they were never scarce when I was working for the NHS(and I don't think they are scarce today), their salaries were/are exorbitant.
Get rid of them......the paper shufflers, the higher managers, the executives(paid ones, that is)........slim the organisation costs, spend the money on front line troops......the ones who take you to the bathroom, help you have a wash, keep the place clean, feed you if you can't manage to do it yourself...make the beds etc, etc.
These are the people who are worth their pay...and more. They are the ones that you, as a patient, will remember.
Old 27-02-2011, 13:32   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
900 jobs to go at East Lancashire hospitals

We all knew they were coming, but along with seeing other local facilities and services affected, it looks like we'll be experiencing the effects of the cuts in the N.H.S. in this part of the world imminently.

If you're planning to be unwell, I'd advise you do it pronto.

Still, we shouldn't really moan.

After all we've got the royal wedding celebrations in Hyndburn to look forward to.

Let's just hope no one slips on any spilt jelly in the Market Hall, on April 29th.

The Lancashire Telegraph says that this could very well lead to longer waiting lists, fewer available treatments, and a reduction in the number of staff nursing sick patients, and will result in more ward closures.

It's also reported that the local N.H.S.'s Trust predict almost 50 fewer doctors and dentists, 226 fewer nurses, midwives and health visitors, and therapists and diagnostic health workers will be reduced by 126.

Old 27-02-2011, 15:26   #10
God Member

its going to be like thatcher all over again with people dying on trollys in the hospital corridoors waiting for a bed while entire wings are shut down.

cameron has sent billions in aid to other countries since coming into power such as india,pakistan, ireland and god knows who else instead of maintaining vital services for this country

not to worry though folks theres a paid day off work and a royal wedding to look forward too

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 16:02   #11
Beacon of light

I worked in the NHS in the 80's and don't recall it being as bad as it is now.
Old 27-02-2011, 16:11   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I worked in the NHS in the 80's and don't recall it being as bad as it is now.
the nhs today is a lot better than in the 80's .Yes theres still a problem with overpaid management but i bet my last penny if labour hadnt got in when they did we wouldnt have a new hospital in blackburn and two new health centers in accrington.

mind you i have a bit of a gripe with torys look on the nhs.My friend raised money to buy a new child incubator for queens park hospital as a thankyou for saving his premature sons life and a tory mp took it to her local hospital down south leaving only the plaque saying who it was donated by on the front desk and its screws.Cant have us northerners having a brand new peice of kit can we

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 27-02-2011, 16:15   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
My friend raised money to buy a new child incubator for queens park hospital as a thankyou for saving his premature sons life and a tory mp took it to her local hospital down south leaving only the plaque saying who it was donated by on the front desk and its screws.Cant have us northerners having a brand new peice of kit can we
Some naming and shaming needed there surely. Sounds despicable.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 16:19   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Some naming and shaming needed there surely. Sounds despicable.
i cant recall the name of her or i woulda definatly put it but she was a high ranking tory MP and i havnt spoken to my friend in a long time as we lost touch 10 years ago when he moved.

i do recall he protested but there was nothing he could do as he had given it to the hospital so it was the nhs's to do as they pleased with it and within a week it was gone.

im not 100% on this but there may have been a small bit about in in one of our local papers but it was before the days of the internet

Last edited by accyman; 27-02-2011 at 16:22.
Old 27-02-2011, 16:24   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
the nhs today is a lot better than in the 80's .Yes theres still a problem with overpaid management but i bet my last penny if labour hadnt got in when they did we wouldnt have a new hospital in blackburn and two new health centers in accrington.

mind you i have a bit of a gripe with torys look on the nhs.My friend raised money to buy a new child incubator for queens park hospital as a thankyou for saving his premature sons life and a tory mp took it to her local hospital down south leaving only the plaque saying who it was donated by on the front desk and its screws.Cant have us northerners having a brand new peice of kit can we

I suppose it depends what you mean by better......if you mean paying through the nose for a hospital that might never be owned by the Trust...remember it was built on the PFI...that's like the never never, only dearer.
I don't know about the health centres...whether they were built on the same funding....I had left the NHS by then so took much less notice of what was going on.
In the 80's we didn't spend time chasing government targets....we nursed patients.
OK so the old QPH buildings were not that pretty but they felt homely......but I guess that counts for not very much.

There were better staffing levels. Patients got looked after

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..