Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 23:33   #1

Cyclone Yasi

'The devastation is phenomenal'
North Queensland's small coastal communities bore the brunt of Cyclone Yasi, but only as day broke did the extent of the damage become clear.

Yet another disaster to hit Queensland......we didn,t need this....
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2011, 23:40   #2

Re: Cyclone Yasi

talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:46   #3
God Member

not being funny , but nature is a strange beast , kind of makes you wonder why Australia was so "empty" for so many thousand years, same with North America , if you believe the historians and the Siberia /Alaskan land bridge theory, why was the area now the USA ignored for development and all the civilizations (Inca/Toltec/Aztec) developed in central and Southern America .
sorry for thread wander , hope the folks in Northern Queensland make it through
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:31   #4
Beacon of light

I have spent a fair bit of time in Queensland....shopped in the Stockland Mall(the one that was used for Cairns residents as an evacuation shelter),spent time at Innisfail and Mission beach.....and was thinking of all these memories as I watched the progress of the storm on the Australian news channels, and their newspapers.
I feel for the people in these places. Their lives disrupted by one climatic disaster after another........but I hope they can stay strong, and rebuild their broken lives.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:26   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

terrible devastation, hope you n yours are ok Tal, only consolation is unlike "Katrina" loss of life is nil or minimal,
Old 03-02-2011, 08:49   #6
Resting in Peace

Its only when you see things like this happening in different parts of the world that you realise how lucky we are in this country weather wise
Old 03-02-2011, 17:32   #7
God Member

Looks bad over there ... unfortunately it didn't get much coverage here, probably because we have had our own weather problems. However, you guys, like Canadians, have no doubt developed a resiliance when it comes to weather. Floods, cyclones, blizzards, ice storms, storm surges on the coast, forest fires, avalanches: We shovel out, clean up, and carry on. Good luck, and I hope that this is the last of it for you.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 18:08   #8
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Looks bad over there ... unfortunately it didn't get much coverage here, probably because we have had our own weather problems. However, you guys, like Canadians, have no doubt developed a resiliance when it comes to weather. Floods, cyclones, blizzards, ice storms, storm surges on the coast, forest fires, avalanches: We shovel out, clean up, and carry on. Good luck, and I hope that this is the last of it for you.
From what I know of the Aussies, they are pretty much the same Eric.......they don't do a lot of bleating, they just roll up their sleeves and muck in.
Old 03-02-2011, 18:46   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
From what I know of the Aussies, they are pretty much the same Eric.......they don't do a lot of bleating, they just roll up their sleeves and muck in.
I think I was talking about the Aussies And while we are at it: when there is a disaster in countries which don't have the resources that Canadians and Australians are blessed with, have you noticed who are amongst the first there with money, supplies, and people? Both nations can take care of themselves; and both have lots of resources and compassion left over to help others less fortunate.
Old 03-02-2011, 21:16   #10
Beacon of light

sorry Eric...must've been having a grey moment there.........misread the post...mea culpa.
Old 03-02-2011, 21:59   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
sorry Eric...must've been having a grey moment there.........misread the post...mea culpa.
Must have been the "you guys" thing ... different vernacular; I've been away a long time

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..