Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 10 Post By Retlaw
  • 1 Post By dotti34
  • 2 Post By Retlaw

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014, 10:58   #1
I am Banned

Daily Express Article

There is a photo of a 100 year old Poppy in today's Daily Express.
Snap I have a rose that's nearly as old, preserved in my Aunt Maud's Bible for our Walter who was killed in WW1, I also have letters that her sister Ada wrote to her when Walter was killed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0343.jpg (518.4 KB, 19 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2014, 22:17   #2
Full Member+

Re: Daily Express Article

I have an edelweiss that my granddad had during his POW days in Austria (WW2)
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 22:23   #3
God Member

my pal has a copy of a national news paper the day after the titanic sank saying no lives were lost and all were fine and safe

papers ran on guesswork due to slow lines of communication .If only there was wi-fi back then facebook would have been full of people taking selfies as the boat sank because getting tagged at a disaster woud be more important than getting in a lifeboat lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 23:16   #4

I have the pressed remains of a flower my mother wore when she married my dad some 94 years ago. It is in a bible that my father's aunt gave her sister in 1884, who then gave it to my dad in 1915. The bible was given to my oldest sister and eventually came into my possession.

As my father enlisted in the King's Own Regiment in 1915 I would say his aunt was hoping this bible would be of comfort to him.
flashy likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:16   #5
I am Banned

This is the death penny for Walter Holmes, his parents received this along with a scroll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walters Death Penny..JPG (19.1 KB, 16 views)
Wynonie Harris and Lucysgirl like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..