Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By westendlass
  • 1 Post By Alan Varrechia
  • 1 Post By accyman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2015, 11:33   #1

Dairy farmers unpaid

BBC Radio 4 - Today, 12/01/2015, NFU on future of dairy farming: "We lost sixty farmers last month"

Just looked on the Asda and Tesco websites - it's between 39p and 45p per litre, the farmers are being paid 20p (if they are being paid at all) which makes it a break-even industry.

I thought milk was supposed to be a "loss leader" - sold for little or no profit, or maybe even a loss, just to get customers through the doors. Looks to me like the supermarkets are raking it in.

Is there a reason why farmers can't sell their own milk? Do they process and bottle it at the farm?

I'd happily buy direct, except for the danger that you might see the occasional bull staggering out of the milking shed with crossed eyes and a big smile.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2015, 13:10   #2
Full Member+

Re: Dairy farmers unpaid

More and more people are buying their milk from the supermarkets these days, and its no wonder given the price they charge. Its a terrible shame for the milkmen, you hardly see them at all anymore. Supermarkets have driven out the small businesses and changed the face of our high streets too. Our milkman works hard all year, probably for very little profit, the milk is delivered by 5 am everyday and, I think, is much nicer than the supermarket plastic bottled sort. Ours still has the cream at the top too which you don't find in a plastic bottle! I hope more people support their local milkman\woman otherwise, sadly, I think this service will become a thing of the past (then how long will it be before the supermarkets slap their prices up?).
US Angel likes this.
Old 12-01-2015, 15:12   #3
Full Member+

that's one of the things I miss here
everything has to be store bought
great to find farmers markets
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 16:20   #4

I support my local farmer and get milk delivered to my doorstep, I hope he gets enough support to enable him to carry on.

It was only a couple of years ago that there was a brouhaha about the same subject and I seem to recall that supermarkets admitted they were in the wrong and commenced paying dairy farmers a more favourable price.

If we lose dairy farms we will be destroying the quality and quantity of our insect and bird life - in other words we will be breaking the links to our food chain. ...... "Grazing has additional benefits as it supports traditional meadow management ... This means that a whole range of wildlife moves into a cowpat to set up home!

Don't buy milk from Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl or Londis, say dairy farmers | Money | The Guardian

Dairy farmers are telling consumers not to buy milk at Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl or Londis – and think twice about Asda and the Co-operative – as the battle over prices spills on to the high street.
The row centres on the "farm gate" price paid to Britain's 14,500 dairy farmers, most of whom will, from 1 August, receive just 25p a litre for the milk they produce compared with around 30p before.

Last edited by Lucysgirl; 12-01-2015 at 16:22.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 10:26   #5
Full Member+

Don't expect any help from the government who would much rather the land be used for growing GM crops than have cows eating grass.

The retail price of milk is approximately half of what it was in 1979. As a comparison, petrol is 4x dearer now than it was in 1979.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 10:55   #6

Just a thought. If Milk is so cheap, how come the price of cheese is still so high.
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 12:31   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Just a thought. If Milk is so cheap, how come the price of cheese is still so high.
the goats have better negotiating skills than dairy farmers ?
Alan Varrechia likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 16:17   #8
Senior Member+

The majority of dairy cows in the uk are bred to give much more milk than they would naturally (probably in pain and discomfort).
We must return to more natural, less intensive, farming, with animal welfare at its centre.

Leave the ruddy cows alone and fill the feilds with wind turbines or broccoli plantations.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 17:02   #9

The French are partial to their veal as you can see. It's one reason I don't eat veal and I certainly don't eat their foie gras, which they produce by force feeding geese and/or ducks.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..