Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 08:50   #1
Senior Member+

Red face dare I complain about the oaklea tavern..?

the other halfs family had a big family do there last night and whilst it was a good night had by all with decent food and drink etc on the go the only down side to me is the fact that the only way to get to the function room is through the busy pub and up the stairs - which when you have a pram is quite tricky - not the stairs part but trying to push a pram through a busy pub when people wont move for you - and it was the same on the way out to..surely having a side door or another entrance to get to the stairs would have been on the 'to do' list rather than walk through a busy pub twice on a saturday night pushing a pram to get in and out of the building...

sorry to compain but it was the only moan? of the night...nice pub though.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2008, 08:58   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: dare I complain about the oaklea tavern..?

pity the old side door/enterance has gone,would have solved that.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:11   #3
mez
God Member

but there is a side door, where the old one was the artists use it when bringing their equipment in, im sure kate or jay would have opened it for you. glad you had a good night tho',apart from the little hic-up.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:39   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
pity the old side door/enterance has gone,would have solved that.
The old side door was removed so the the toilets could be extended.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:49   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

[quote=glasgow guy;542952which when you have a pram is quite tricky - not the stairs part but trying to push a pram through a busy pub when people wont move for you
sorry to compain but it was the only moan? of the night...nice pub though.[/quote]

Surely this is only a minor hitch? At least you were able to take the little one into the pub and enjoy the company once you got into the room, a little bit of inconvenience is out-weighed by being able to join in rather than stop at home looking after the child or even putting the child in the care of a sitter? That is what parents used to have to do.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:56   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
The old side door was removed so the the toilets could be extended.
yeh mate wasn't bitchin,just commenting,don't see it as a major thing meself.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:14   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Surely this is only a minor hitch? At least you were able to take the little one into the pub and enjoy the company once you got into the room, a little bit of inconvenience is out-weighed by being able to join in rather than stop at home looking after the child or even putting the child in the care of a sitter? That is what parents used to have to do.
the other half said it was actually quite intimidating trying to make her way through the pub with a buggy with some folk not moving out the way so to me thats more than a minor hitch - call me sensitive if you want to..
I just see it as quite a boo boo that there is no other entrance available any more - asking customers who may have a baby that are attending any kind of night function upstairs to make their way through the busy pub with a pram is a bit much..
I am sorry to say anything negative about the place as I know its well liked on here...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
the other half said it was actually quite intimidating trying to make her way through the pub with a buggy with some folk not moving out the way so to me thats more than a minor hitch - call me sensitive if you want to..
I just see it as quite a boo boo that there is no other entrance available any more - asking customers who may have a baby that are attending any kind of night function upstairs to make their way through the busy pub with a pram is a bit much..
I am sorry to say anything negative about the place as I know its well liked on here...
Glasgow Guy allow me to call you insensitive, you shouldn't have left her to push her way through on her own you should have gone in front and politely asked people to 'excuse you for a moment', the majority of people still react positively to being shown a little courtesy and it is your responsibility (and polite duty),to guide both your wife and child safely to your desired destination.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:23   #9
Beacon of light

Can you imagine what is like with a wheelchair? There are some really ignorant folk about.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Can you imagine what is like with a wheelchair? There are some really ignorant folk about.
I agree Margaret, but I still find that most people still react positively to manners even if it's only out of shock from being asked politely in the first place!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:37   #11
Senior Member+

my old pram was great for this.. the front wheels were further out than the carry cot and at ankle height so if ppl didnt move they got clipped!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50   #12
Resting in Peace

Life gets tedious don't you think?
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:51   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Life gets tedious don't you think?
only if ya let it.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:57   #14
Beacon of light

Less, you are right of course......and Ma is very polite, but sometimes it is hard to be heard over the busy hub-bub of a popular establishment......I have now bought a referees whistle...and I am tempted to try it on our next outing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, you are right of course......and Ma is very polite, but sometimes it is hard to be heard over the busy hub-bub of a popular establishment......I have now bought a referees whistle...and I am tempted to try it on our next outing.
Exactly! you have said it yourself,
Quote:
but sometimes it is hard to be heard over the busy hub-bub of a popular establishment......
So perhaps the people weren't being ignorant, allowances have to be made for both sides of the situation and with a little patience, the inconvenience of a few moments getting the child and pushchair to it's destination were surely outweighed by the reward of enjoying the company of friends and family?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..