Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2006, 09:56   #1
Senior Member+

Day of Mourning...

when was the last time the uk had one??

i dont think we had one on the 7/7 bombings rite? was it princess diana dying?

and i dont think we had any back in the days of IRA activity did we?

what are u supposed to do on day's of mourning?

y dont we have more DOM during such times?
Old 23-08-2006, 10:05   #2
God Member

Re: Day of Mourning...

errr....we don't have the days of mourning, Mani; we just have the one/two minutes silence. Years ago, the only two minutes silence was that at 11 O'Clock on November 11th, which was then moved to the nearest sunday to the 11th. These days, the two minutes silence pops up for any old reason, especially at football matches. I think that demeans the original idea.

I suppose the nearest we have to a full day of mourning is the State Funeral. The Queen Mum's was a good 'un, although I cringe when I look back at the funeral of that awful woman, Di.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 23-08-2006 at 10:08.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 10:17   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I cringe when I look back at the funeral of that awful woman, Di.

Why?

Were you one of those wailing and all teared up amongst the flowers in Kensington Gardens?

Sweet.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 10:17   #4
Senior Member+

well its like when the lockerbie bombing happened 270 people died yet no day of mourning was ever declared. but in other countries a transportation disaster of lesser magnitude would cause a day of mourning

does anyone else feel that hte fact the uk has a strong economy it would be counter productive to shut it down on what generally does be short notice?
Old 23-08-2006, 10:23   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I agree that the 2 minute silence is applied inappropriately on most occasions. I don't wish for days of national mourning though. Isn't this nation depressed enough without giving people yet another thing to be depressed about? Yes, big state funerals are intended to show respect and allow grief but I think that they should be followed by a day of national celebration where great lives can be celebrated with a national party.

I wouldn't want anyone to be depressed when I go, I'd like them to celebrate my life with a party, some good music, a bit of beer and a day off work..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 10:24   #6
Give, give, give member

I think that besides Rememberance Day, like Tealeaf said, it's not in the British psyche to want to create too much of a fuss by having days set aside for national mourning and wailing. Just as you don't see pictures of old women screaming in the streets when disasters happen here.

Stiff upper lips and just getting on with things, are things that should be admired.

Old 23-08-2006, 18:18   #7
I am Banned

leave the mourning for teh families

i certainly aint putting missery upon myself for strangers it was bad enough having to listen to sniveling cretins over dianas death by peopel who only ever saw her on the TV at most
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 18:41   #8
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie

I wouldn't want anyone to be depressed when I go, I'd like them to celebrate my life with a party, some good music, a bit of beer and a day off work..
Party hats & steamers, jelly & custard when you go, Dearest. Oh did I forget to mention the trestle tables ladden with food, on Broadway, and a marching band playing outside the Town Hall... Now, where DID you hide that insurance policy?

To give a sensible answer to Mani's question, it isn't in the British psyche to have days of mourning. Hand wringing just isn't the done thing over here.

I'm guessing here, but I reckon the last national day of mourning could have been when Winston Churchill passed away. I know he was afforded a state funeral.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 23-08-2006 at 18:49.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 20:34   #9
mez
God Member

i think the 2 mins silence should be observed as usual on rememberance day & i agree with some of the others on here we do have a stiff upper lip & mourn in the privacy of our family circle ...not public displays .but thats just how we are ......no days of mourning please .
Old 23-08-2006, 20:38   #10
Senior Member+

There was some debate in one of the papers last week over whether Thatcher would be given a state funeral when the Good Lord takes her unto his bosom{!!!!**;if that involves any national mourning you can count me out! I am busy washing the dog/cleaning the bin/filing my nails/hoovering the curtains/ etc etc that day!
Old 23-08-2006, 22:23   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
There was some debate in one of the papers last week over whether Thatcher would be given a state funeral when the Good Lord takes her unto his bosom{!!!!**;if that involves any national mourning you can count me out! I am busy washing the dog/cleaning the bin/filing my nails/hoovering the curtains/ etc etc that day!

Like Lettie I think we should get the bunting and party streamers out when the good Lord calls the dear Baroness up to Heaven above.

Unless of course Heaven was privatised, and she may have to seek an alternative final resting place.

Old 23-08-2006, 22:36   #12
God Member

When the enevitable happens then in some 1/4's there will be tears aplenty in sadness and others of joy along with the partying. She may have got it wrong at times but at least she stood up for this country on the odd occasion and hated being dissed (would have been a great hoody.)

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 22:43   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
When the enevitable happens then in some 1/4's there will be tears aplenty in sadness and others of joy along with the partying. She may have got it wrong at times but at least she stood up for this country on the odd occasion and hated being dissed (would have been a great hoody.)

Spuggie, besides all the other things she did she snatched our free milk.

Now all our teeth have fallen out and we can't get a dentist, because they are all greedy ******* out following the free market Thatcherite economy, we are living with the gummy, toothless mouths as the children that Thatcher snatched the free milk off.

Old 24-08-2006, 12:46   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Spuggie, besides all the other things she did she snatched our free milk.

Now all our teeth have fallen out and we can't get a dentist, because they are all greedy ******* out following the free market Thatcherite economy, we are living with the gummy, toothless mouths as the children that Thatcher snatched the free milk off.
No comment as yet it will keeep for another day.

Now were in ell have I put my wallies????

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 12:50   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
of coarse if someone was to throw a party that day.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..