Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Given half of those detained to 28 days were innocent, do you:
Oppose an increase to 42 days without charge 5 27.78%
Support an increase to 42 days without charge 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2008, 21:10   #61
God Member

Re: Detention without charge poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
But you haven't answered my question at all. What is it about some people that makes the police want to detain them? Are innocent people being victimised randomly? You are making it sound like the police randomly swoop on innocent people and detain them without any reason i.e. just plucking them off the street. What I want to know is why these people are plucked off the street in the first place - what makes the police think they are terrorists.

Do you have any case studies?
I don't. However I suspect its the same as any other crime. Wrong place wrong time. However normally people are just released quickly, under this legislation they can be detained for 42 days just in case some evidence appears. If they were guility and the police heavily suspected them of it, thats different because they would release them on the last day and then use survailence, but they simply have not done this in the innocent cases under the terrorism act.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:11   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Indeed, but 42 days is too much. The crown prosecution service themselves say that 28 days is easily enough. Thats why I don't back 42 days legislation, it is just being used to make the government look tough, while achieving nothing.
now you are just being silly , using the Crown prosecution Service as an example in anything requiring common sense , these are the clowns who prefer to prosecute and jail home owners for defending their property against thieves and burglars
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:12   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
28 days is probably excessive in some cases but not enough in other cases.
Who is to say what length of time is long enough anyway?
The people who have to gather evidence and charge! The only ones guilty who have gone close to being detained for 28days have had their evidence found in 4 and 12 days respectively. That should be a clear indictator to say we dont need to extend it.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:15   #64
Loz

Quote:
The people who have to gather evidence and charge! The only ones guilty who have gone close to being detained for 28days have had their evidence found in 4 and 12 days respectively. That should be a clear indictator to say we dont need to extend it.
Thats not to say that you won't ever need 28 or 42 days?
At least if its in place to detain people for upto 42 days then it can be used if needed.
I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:17   #65
God Member

Quote:
Thats not to say that you won't ever need 28 or 42 days?
At least if its in place to detain people for upto 42 days then it can be used if needed.
I would rather be safe than sorry.
But then innocent people will be detained for even longer, when its not even necessary to have that many days to convict the guilty. Whats to stop them changing it to 100 days, 1000 days, just to be safe rather than sorry?
Old 14-07-2008, 21:17   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
When is the Lords debate,only I'll need to get some cans in for the next andrewb show.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:17   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It doesn't help when you're here spreading ignorant views.
Di-dums.

If you can't stand the heat...

there's a nice cool cell over there.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:18   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Di-dums.

If you can't stand the heat...
I only won't be able to stand the heat when you start arguing using relevant things.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:19   #69
Loz

Quote:
But then innocent people will be detained for even longer, when its not even necessary to have that many days to convict the guilty. Whats to stop them changing it to 100 days, 1000 days, just to be safe rather than sorry?
Whats worth more?
Someones life being interrupted for 42 days or somebodies life?
Old 14-07-2008, 21:20   #70

My views are the same as last time this poll was done, so I voted accordingly.

I can see shades of Mugabe and Zimbabwe here…did we get the last poll wrong ?
Old 14-07-2008, 21:23   #71
God Member

Quote:
28 days is probably excessive in some cases but not enough in other cases.
Who is to say what length of time is long enough anyway?
I Have suggested this before: High Court Judges in the UK are paid a considerable amount of money to administer the interpretation of the law.
If extra time to question suspects is required, let them earn the money they receive from the public purse and adjudge yes or no to the extra detention.
There is no need to pen extra legislation for 42 day's...the legislation is already in place.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:23   #72
God Member

[quote andrewb]they would release them on the last day and then use survailence, but they simply have not done this in the innocent cases under the terrorism act.[/quote] How do you know whether the police have had the people under surveillance or not? I am damn sure they don't inform us when they are going to keep their eye on somebody, so from where do you get your evidence??
Old 14-07-2008, 21:23   #73
God Member

Quote:
when its not even necessary to have that many days to convict the guilty
poppycock investigations can lead to other avenues that need investigating and a suspect should be held until all avenues have been explored

are you sure your a tory because you sound like bleeding liberal to me

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:30   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
[quote andrewb]they would release them on the last day and then use survailence, but they simply have not done this in the innocent cases under the terrorism act.
How do you know whether the police have had the people under surveillance or not? I am damn sure they don't inform us when they are going to keep their eye on somebody, so from where do you get your evidence??[/quote]

David Davis has fully investigated it and nobody has come out to say hes fibbing!
Old 14-07-2008, 21:31   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
poppycock investigations can lead to other avenues that need investigating and a suspect should be held until all avenues have been explored

are you sure your a tory because you sound like bleeding liberal to me
Every avenue should be explored. Every other civilized country manages to explore them without needing 42 days. In fact, we manage to do it within 28 days, so there is no need to extend.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..