Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Given half of those detained to 28 days were innocent, do you:
Oppose an increase to 42 days without charge 5 27.78%
Support an increase to 42 days without charge 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2008, 23:09   #106
God Member

Re: Detention without charge poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Yeah but you support somebody who does and have kicked up such a fuss about supporting him over the 42 day detention ruling.
Can't you see the hypocrisy?
Davis isn't pushing it through parliament. It is simply his view on guilty murderers, its quite clear its not practical to implement the death penalty for reasons you suggested.
Old 14-07-2008, 23:11   #107
Loz

Where have i said to bring back the death penalty?
I am totally against it like you.
Old 14-07-2008, 23:13   #108
God Member

Quote:
Where have i said to bring back the death penalty?
I am totally against it like you.
I never said anyone was? I said it was Davids view that guilty should be put to death... but its not practical because as you said you could be killing innocent people?
Old 14-07-2008, 23:14   #109
God Member

With DNA as it is today do you not think that the death penalty is an option??
Old 14-07-2008, 23:15   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
With DNA as it is today do you not think that the death penalty is an option??
No.
Old 14-07-2008, 23:16   #111
Loz

Sorry i will hold my hand up over my last post.
Read it wrong!
Old 14-07-2008, 23:19   #112
God Member

I hate the Tories and don't belive them when they say they will repeal the 42 days..but it bothers me that this law could spread to any suspects being held for any more minor crimes without charge for long periods
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 23:32   #113
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I hate the Tories and don't belive them when they say they will repeal the 42 days..but it bothers me that this law could spread to any suspects being held for any more minor crimes without charge for long periods
then that would rightfully be somthing to be concerned about if it was to happen but as it stands its only for terrorist suspects which is fine with me , im sure public opinion would shift rather rapidly if teh law spread to holding anyone indefinatly for other crimes

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 09:22   #114
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
then that would rightfully be somthing to be concerned about if it was to happen but as it stands its only for terrorist suspects which is fine with me , im sure public opinion would shift rather rapidly if teh law spread to holding anyone indefinatly for other crimes
The trouble is AM that you can be arrested for spitting in the street and be detained under he terrorism act if the powers that be see fit
Old 15-07-2008, 11:44   #115
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The trouble is AM that you can be arrested for spitting in the street and be detained under he terrorism act if the powers that be see fit
thats taking things to the extreme, have ya got n example of this.
Old 15-07-2008, 11:53   #116
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Detention without charge poll

Quote:
At least if innocent people are locked up they can get on with their lives afterwards.
Would that be the life where they have lost their job, got behind with the mortgage or rent and the energy companies breathing down their neck for payment?
Old 15-07-2008, 11:58   #117
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Would that be the life where they have lost their job, got behind with the mortgage or rent and the energy companies breathing down their neck for payment?
I'm not saying it wouldn't affect your life in a big way but at least you would have life!
You can rebuild your life slowly but surely if you are wrongfully arrested but not if you are dead!
Old 15-07-2008, 12:07   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
to the best of my knowledge most of these people do not have mortgages, they tend to buy property in other ways. unless i am badly misinformed.
Old 15-07-2008, 12:14   #119
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Detention without charge poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats taking things to the extreme, have ya got n example of this.
The point being made is that the authorities have taken unto themselves powers that could be used not just for suspect terrorists.

Local authorities now have the power to monitor and listen to your phone calls and read your emails and maybe even read your posts on this forum. You will never know if they are doing so until the day that you are arrested for something.

The Big Brother scenario draws ever closer.

Did you know that local authorities are selling extracts from the Electoral Register to businesses?

A couple of years or so ago you could access the Electoral Register from the Hyndburn/ Blackburn web sites. You can’t today, although you can have a look at the Town Hall office that holds the records.

Why is that do you suppose? It wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that the Electoral Register is being sold and to have it on the Internet means that no one would want to pay when it was free to view on the Internet.

The government, to their rare credit, is trying to make local authorities stop this practice.
Old 15-07-2008, 12:22   #120
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Detention without charge poll

Quote:
I'm not saying it wouldn't affect your life in a big way but at least you would have life!
You can rebuild your life slowly but surely if you are wrongfully arrested but not if you are dead!
So it’s OK to destroy a person’s life on a suspicion?

You would have a different view if it happened to you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..