Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Given half of those detained to 28 days were innocent, do you:
Oppose an increase to 42 days without charge 5 27.78%
Support an increase to 42 days without charge 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2008, 12:23   #121
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Detention without charge poll

the point was also made earlier, that if the powers were to be abused in that way a public backlash would soon follow. i am aware they are selling extracts from the register,which is annoying to say the least, but does not concern me nowhere near as much as a safer society for me kids n grandchild to grow up in.
Old 15-07-2008, 15:17   #122
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Detention without charge poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the point was also made earlier, that if the powers were to be abused in that way a public backlash would soon follow. i am aware they are selling extracts from the register,which is annoying to say the least, but does not concern me nowhere near as much as a safer society for me kids n grandchild to grow up in.
That’s the problem, there would only be talk and no real backlash.

In the meantime we slither into a Police State.
Old 15-07-2008, 15:45   #123
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
So it’s OK to destroy a person’s life on a suspicion?

You would have a different view if it happened to you.
I'm not saying its right but like i said you could rebuild your life.
It wouldn't be destroyed forever.
All i am saying is that the consequences are a lot more dire if someone was executed wrongly.
That would destroy lives.
Old 15-07-2008, 16:12   #124
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
That’s the problem, there would only be talk and no real backlash.

thats your assumption, aint mine, whilst i have not much faith in any of the parties, i think even M.P.s would get off the fence with that one.
Old 15-07-2008, 16:26   #125
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The trouble is AM that you can be arrested for spitting in the street and be detained under he terrorism act if the powers that be see fit
Come on cashy thee and me have been on his planet long enough to know that the law can fit you up with anything if it fits their purpose, spitting was just a throw away example
Old 15-07-2008, 17:09   #126
God Member

I would like to see information about these innocent people that are being detained. Surely if there is a statistic there should be a case study to go along side it?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 18:35   #127
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I would like to see information about these innocent people that are being detained. Surely if there is a statistic there should be a case study to go along side it?
What do you want to know?
Old 15-07-2008, 18:49   #128
God Member

Quote:
I'd rather have a police state than a sharia state (which is obviously what Jambutty and a few others on here would prefer).
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 18:54   #129
God Member

I didn't think the Archbishop of Canterbury posted here.
Old 15-07-2008, 19:19   #130

didnt they use the terrorist act to eject an 80 yrs old geezer out of the labour party conference a couple of years ago?
we have a morally bankrupt government, why should we believe anything they say?
how about detaining a few MPs for a few months? see how they like it
den the menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 19:23   #131
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by den the menace View Post
how about detaining a few MPs for a few months? see how they like it
They would not be able to tell as they would not know the difference between lying around doing nowt in a prison cell and lazying around doing nowt in their House of Commons office. That goes for 'em all, irrespective of party.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 15-07-2008 at 19:25.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 20:41   #132
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
What do you want to know?
I want to know who these innocent people are? Are they just random people picked up off the street or have they been under surveillance or have they done something that would indicate that they were terrorists?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:34   #133
JFT96

Not sure where I stand on this issue, I have no time for our government, however I also have very little time for Cameron, watch out Andrew, I have always voted Blue before, but now not so sure.

This whole detention without trial concerns me, the pilot part of me, the one that worries about being blown up, hijacked or killed trying to stop some nutter flying in to the Nat west tower says lock em up for ever. However the rational side of me realises that the true threat, will never ever show up on radar, until its too late.
So what have you achived, you alienate a group of people in our society and make them moe inclined to attack us. Not reeally 'Hearts and minds' now is it?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 17:04   #134
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Not sure where I stand on this issue, I have no time for our government, however I also have very little time for Cameron, watch out Andrew, I have always voted Blue before, but now not so sure.

This whole detention without trial concerns me, the pilot part of me, the one that worries about being blown up, hijacked or killed trying to stop some nutter flying in to the Nat west tower says lock em up for ever. However the rational side of me realises that the true threat, will never ever show up on radar, until its too late.
So what have you achived, you alienate a group of people in our society and make them moe inclined to attack us. Not reeally 'Hearts and minds' now is it?
I can agree with a lot of what our say BG, but the reason I was against this 42 day issue is that we have not had to release anybody without charge under the 28 day rule so why change it. And we also have to realise that the way our judiciary work, they let terror suspects out on the streets under the human rights act anyway, its only a few weeks ago that Bin ladens man in europe was let out on 24 hours curfew with leg monitor and then was seen and photographed walking down a London Street doing a bit of shopping, as you do

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..