Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Did Graham Jones make the right vote, in your opinion?
Yes, he made the right vote. 5 10.87%
No, he didn't make the right vote. 41 89.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 17:33   #181
Give, give, give member

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The people of Hyndburn did vote for Graham, the person.......because he had a very good reputation for hard work and listening to the electorate of his ward. Of working for the people who put him where he is in politics

They did not vote for the Labour party manifesto....and Graham if you think they did, you are deluding yourself. The electorate was sick of the Labour party, their lying, double dealing tactics....which is why they were ousted from power.

I am pretty sure those who voted for him in the general election trusted his reputation to be carried over into the work he was planning to do at Westminster.
How very disappointed they must be to see their views and opinions disregarded in a cavalier fashion.

How sad they must be to realise that we have as our representative in Westminster, someone who is no different from the lot that were thrown out, as being unfit for purpose.
I did.

I voted for Graham Jones, the man.

People were so sick of the last Labour government, as all the pre-election polls showed. I thought our seat was ripe for anyone to come along and win it.

I pursuaded friends and family members, disillusioned Labour voters, to vote for him.

On the same day, for the only time in my life, I voted Conservative, knowing in my ward Cllr. Brtitcliffe's return is already guaranteed.

I did that so I could come on here on election day, and perhaps encourage people to vote for the person, not the party, as I said I'd done, in the hope Graham Jones would become our new M.P., and he'd do us proud.

Putting my cross next to a Conservative candidate's name, I half expected to be struck down with a bolt of lightning.

No way did I expect anything as horrific as what actually has happened.

Last edited by garinda; 09-11-2011 at 17:37.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2011, 17:43   #182
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I did.

I voted for Graham Jones, the man.

People were so sick of the last Labour government, as all the pre-election polls showed. I thought our seat was ripe for anyone to come along and win it.

I pursuaded friends and family members, disillusioned Labour voters, to vote for him.

On the same day, for the only time in my life, I voted Conservative, knowing in my ward Cllr. Brtitcliffe's return is already guaranteed.

I did that so I could come on here on election day, and perhaps encourage people to vote for the person, not the party, as I said I'd done, in the hope Graham Jones would become our new M.P., and he'd do us proud.

Putting my cross next to a Conservative candidate's name, I half expected to be struck down with a bolt of lightning.

No way did I expect anything as horrific as what actually has happened.
Love him or hate him, PB he might not have been the flavour of the month as leader, but he has never let the people who voted for him down
Old 09-11-2011, 18:04   #183
Beacon of light

Well John, I have to say he was a ruddy awful leader of the council....he may not have let his ward down, but he made up for it with what he did(or didn't do for the town).

I am all out of patience with all politicians...every colour, every persuasion. To me they are lower than snake oil salesmen.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 18:36   #184
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well John, I have to say he was a ruddy awful leader of the council....he may not have let his ward down, but he made up for it with what he did(or didn't do for the town).

I am all out of patience with all politicians...every colour, every persuasion. To me they are lower than snake oil salesmen.
(Lower than snake oil salesmen). Its a classic that one Margaret.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 18:59   #185
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Ward councillor, can't be faulted.

Council Leader?

Search through my old threads.

Think I may have found one, or two faults, that I may have pointed out.

Though of course that's all in the past, now some are trying to label me as some right-wing, Little Englander.

Old 09-11-2011, 19:03   #186
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Congratulations Bernard, you win a coconut, your first post on the thread
Old 09-11-2011, 19:04   #187
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You're bad.

Really hope I'm well tomorrow.

Wendy's promised me more high drama than an Wagner opera, more laughs than a Whitehall farce, more tears and tantrums than an Elton John fly-on-the-wall documentary.

I'm hoping to be so moved, as to give a standing ovation when the curtain comes down.

Old 09-11-2011, 19:06   #188
God Member

I know little or nothing of Graham's career as a politician - but can understand that it's easy to be fooled by the bright lights of the capital. What counts at the end of the day is personal integrity and understanding that you are only in the position you are in thanks to the people who voted for you.

On his profile he looks to be a nice person - we can all make mistakes the important thing is to learn from them...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 19:09   #189
Beacon of light

Quote:
Glad you like it Bernard! As they say, the old ones are the best.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 19:18   #190
God Member

Quote:
Though Graham did end his last message, in our little exchange, by saying he is 'appreciative of my support'.

I'd hate to think just how relentlessly badgering and angry I'd be, if I no longer supported him.

Thought you'd already withdrawn your support definitively...?! Or was that just my impression Garinda...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 09-11-2011, 19:23   #191
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I know little or nothing of Graham's career as a politician - but can understand that it's easy to be fooled by the bright lights of the capital. What counts at the end of the day is personal integrity and understanding that you are only in the position you are in thanks to the people who voted for you.

On his profile he looks to be a nice person - we can all make mistakes the important thing is to learn from them...
Personally I was disgusted, no matter what his own, or his party's stance is on E.U. membership, when he posted on here that he had no problem with a referendum, mentioning democracy, then voted against it.

The spark that made that disgust turn into a nuclear explosion, was the fact that literally minutes after the vote result was announced in the Commons, Graham was on Twitter, smugly tweeting that the result was a 'Tory disaster'.

No mention how, because of how he chose to vote, and despite what he said, the result was a disaster for everyone.

A disaster for democracy.

A disater for Britain.

A disaster for the constituents of Hyndburns' rights.

Old 09-11-2011, 19:27   #192
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Thought you'd already withdrawn your support definitively...?! Or was that just my impression Garinda...
I don't say one thing, and then do another.

I posted before the vote in the Commons, that I will never again for a politican, or party, that doesn't actively promote the need for an E.U. referendum.

I won't.

Old 09-11-2011, 19:27   #193
God Member

Quote:
Personally I was disgusted, no matter what his own, or his party's stance is on E.U. membership, when he posted on here that he had no problem with a referendum, mentioning democracy, then voted against it.

The spark that made that disgust turn into a nuclear explosion, was the fact that literally minutes after the vote result was announced in the Commons, Graham was on Twitter, smugly tweeting that the result was a 'Tory disaster'.

No mention how, because of how he chose to vote, and despite what he said, the result was a disaster for everyone.

A disaster for democracy.

A disater for Britain.

A disaster for the constituents of Hyndburns' rights.
Perhaps not so much a disaster as a wake up call ...time for people of integrity who have the common man in mind...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 09-11-2011, 19:32   #194
God Member

Quote:
I don't say one thing, and then do another.

I posted before the vote in the Commons, that I will never again for a politican, or party, that doesn't actively promote the need for an E.U. referendum.

I won't.
My mis-understanding G, you did say:

"I'd hate to think just how relentlessly badgering and angry I'd be, if I no longer supported him"

I sometimes read things wrongly...mea-culpa!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 09-11-2011, 19:39   #195
Give, give, give member

Quote:

As I've said, I think he is a good man.

He 'could' have been a good, representative, local M.P...for Hyndburn.

I honestly don't think he actually realises just how alienated from, and disgusted by, ordinary people are with Labour, after Blair/Brown.

He won Hyndburn.

It was most certainly not the Labour ticket, that came attatched to him, that secured the victory.

We hoped that attatchment was stronger to the people, than the party.

We now sadly know it isn't.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..