Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



View Poll Results: Did Graham Jones make the right vote, in your opinion?
Yes, he made the right vote. 5 10.87%
No, he didn't make the right vote. 41 89.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2011, 22:32   #31
God Member
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's certainly no different from how he treated Karen Buckley, the Conservative candidate in the last General Election.
who ..?

oh yeah teh local ass who lived 500 miles away and was linked to accrington because she once ate an icecream here or something
__________________
All comments above are everything to do with here and therefore the resposibility of the Accrington Web website owners admins and mods.


ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right



accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2011, 22:43   #32
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
who ..?

oh yeah teh local ass who lived 500 miles away and was linked to accrington because she once ate an icecream here or something
See? Just how well things can be spun, by politicans?

That's how she's remembered.

Given what I know now, I'd have been describing her thus.

'A working class lass, with strong ties to the Accrington area through her mum's family. A girl who has made a success of her life, thanks to an assisted school place for poor children. Who's now a busy working mum, who understands the difficulties of bringing up a family, juggled with trying to earn enough money to pay the ever increasing bills we all face.'

__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 23:06   #33
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I haven't voted.

The thread serves no useful purpose.
It appears on a par with a public flaggelation, and a witchunt of people who don't agree with the majority.

Neither is a desirable aftermath of the event.

Move on please.
Well you should know.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 23:22   #34
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I haven't voted.

The thread serves no useful purpose.
It appears on a par with a public flaggelation, and a witchunt of people who don't agree with the majority.

Neither is a desirable aftermath of the event.

Move on please.
Besides, I was always brought up to fight for something I believed in. If I knew it was totally the right thing to do.

Perhaps stupidly I still believe you should try and make a difference, and attempt to make things better.

Unlike some, I'm not quite the bitter cynic, who thinks there's no point in doing anything, because we're all at the mercy of those evil Jews, and their fiendish plan for world domination.

You may have lived across the street from my Dad. Been in the same class at school, and went to the same Sunday school, but other than that, what you both think/thought about the world is so very far apart. Thankfully.

He was a better person than me.

He wouldn't tease you, like I do.

He'd worry about what turned you from that young girl into the woman of today.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 23:41   #35
God Member
 
mobertol's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Besides, I was always brought up to fight for something I believed in. If I knew it was totally the right thing to do.

Perhaps stupidly I still believe you should try and make a difference, and attempt to make things better.

Unlike some, I'm not quite the bitter cynic, who thinks there's no point in doing anything, because we're all at the mercy of those evil Jews, and their fiendish plan for world domination.

You may have lived across the street from my Dad. Been in the same class at school, and went to the same Sunday school, but other than that, what you both think/thought about the world is so very far apart. Thankfully.

He was a better person than me.

He wouldn't tease you, like I do.

He'd worry about what turned you from that young girl into the woman of today.
But then where would we be without you?
__________________


“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 08:44   #36
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

The only possible conclusion, that can be arrived at, from the results of this poll, is that the greater majority don't think it was the right thing to do.

Whether people are for, or against, there is overwhelming evidence that people want to have a say in their future, by being allowed to have their opinion counted in a referendum on the European Union..

That, couldn't be clearer.

Even if most M.P.'s voted on Monday night against people having that democratic right.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:01   #37
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

I would just like to thank Bernard Dawson, Claytonender, Ken Moss, Clare Pritchard for their overwhelming input into this discussion, its been very much appreciated and duly noted
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:15   #38
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I would just like to thank Bernard Dawson, Claytonender, Ken Moss, Clare Pritchard for their overwhelming input into this discussion, its been very much appreciated and duly noted
They may have had their input, by voting in the various polls.

Silently contributing.

__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:20   #39
JCB
Senior Member
 
JCB's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Theres 4 now, another secret lap dog.
Being one of the four secret lap dogs , I haven't posted on this thread because I have made my views known by posting on other threads on this issue over recent days .

What would be the purpose of repeating what I have already said ?

My previous posts should make it clear why I voted "Yes" on this thread .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:35   #40
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Being one of the four secret lap dogs , I haven't posted on this thread because I have made my views known by posting on other threads on this issue over recent days .

What would be the purpose of repeating what I have already said ?

My previous posts should make it clear why I voted "Yes" on this thread .

Well I've read your posts, expessing your views on the European Union.

Though I'm not clear as to why you think people shouldn't have a right to vote on this issue in a referendum, for the very first time.

Could you possibly spell it out, as to why people should be denied that right?

Because as far as I'm aware, you haven't made that clear so far.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:37   #41
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
They may have had their input, by voting in the various polls.

Silently contributing.

That's what I meant Rindi the silent minority
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:37   #42
Super Moderator


 
Wynonie Harris's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Being one of the four secret lap dogs , I haven't posted on this thread because I have made my views known by posting on other threads on this issue over recent days .

What would be the purpose of repeating what I have already said ?

My previous posts should make it clear why I voted "Yes" on this thread .
Yes, JCB, you've propounded various arguments in favour of staying in the EU, but that's not the point. What I'd like to know is why you think Graham was right to deny us the chance to decide for ourselves whether we want to be in the EU or not.

Anyway, never mind about that, this is a witch hunt. We'll be forming a torch-lit mob and descending on your house tonight to carry you down to the river and throw you in to see if you float.
__________________
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:39   #43
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well I've read your posts, expressing your views on the European Union.

Though I'm not clear as to why you think people shouldn't have a right to vote on this issue in a referendum, for the very first time.

Could you possibly spell it out, as to why people should be denied that right?

Because as far as I'm aware, you haven't made that clear so far.
Its quite obvious Rindi, that us plebs wouldn't give the power brokers the answers they require
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:56   #44
JCB
Senior Member
 
JCB's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well I've read your posts, expessing your views on the European Union.

Though I'm not clear as to why you think people shouldn't have a right to vote on this issue in a referendum, for the very first time.

Could you possibly spell it out, as to why people should be denied that right?

Because as far as I'm aware, you haven't made that clear so far.
The basic reason is that I do not think that referendums are a good thing in our parliamentary democracy .

We have general elections to elect an MP to represent us in Parliament according to his/her own judgement as the issues arise .

There is a wrong belief by many that we were given a vote in a referendum when we joined the EEC .
The Conservative Government took us into the EEC through a majority of MPs voting for it in Parliament .
The referendum came later when we were already in . It was not adopted for some noble principle about letting the British people have a democratic say . It was a ploy used by Harold Wilson to settle the problems the EEC issue was causing the Labour Party .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 10:06   #45
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
The basic reason is that I do not think that referendums are a good thing in our parliamentary democracy .

We have general elections to elect an MP to represent us in Parliament according to his/her own judgement as the issues arise .

There is a wrong belief by many that we were given a vote in a referendum when we joined the EEC .
The Conservative Government took us into the EEC through a majority of MPs voting for it in Parliament .
The referendum came later when we were already in . It was not adopted for some noble principle about letting the British people have a democratic say . It was a ploy used by Harold Wilson to settle the problems the EEC issue was causing the Labour Party .
Ah, so unlike Blair, Brown, and Cameron, who all at one time said they'd give the British people a referendum to decide this issue, you don't believe in them?

Denying others the right to have their say on European Union membership, for the very first time, has nothing to do with protecting the current status quo, because you just happen to support it.

Fair enough.

Did you vote in the 1975 referendum, when the country was asked whether they wanted to remain in the then Common Market?
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 23:56.


© 2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.37324 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1