Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Did Graham Jones make the right vote, in your opinion?
Yes, he made the right vote. 5 10.87%
No, he didn't make the right vote. 41 89.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2012, 09:41   #661
Resting in Peace

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
While he is high flying the local Labour party might put him up for election in St Andrews next time round. It will be an interesting election that one.
Well It would surprise me he's so far up himself, hes just a narcissist on an ego trip
Old 26-05-2012, 09:44   #662
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well It would surprise me he's so far up himself, hes just a narcissist on an ego trip
This, in reply to elections in St Andrews ward.

Think it through.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 09:50   #663
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
This, in reply to elections in St Andrews ward.

Think it through.
We aren't able to think for ourselves.

We have to leave it to those we elect, to do that for us.

As witnessed by Graham Jones, thinking a referendum about membership of the E.U. was beyond our understanding.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 09:58   #664
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We aren't able to think for ourselves.

We have to leave it to those we elect, to do that for us.

As witnessed by Graham Jones, thinking a referendum about membership of the E.U. was beyond our understanding.
I feel sure you've played that record before.

John Prescott said something quite interesting on Question Time last Thursday about an EU referendum which it's pretty hard to deny being true - the whole country had the chance to speak out on EU membership at the last general election by voting for UKIP.

They didn't do terribly well.

I'm not against a referendum, sooner or later it's inevitable in my view, but we've long had the option.

Old 26-05-2012, 10:08   #665
Resting in Peace

Quote:

John Prescott said something quite interesting on Question Time last Thursday about an EU referendum which it's pretty hard to deny being true - the whole country had the chance to speak out on EU membership at the last general election by voting for UKIP.

I'm not against a referendum, sooner or later it's inevitable in my view, but we've long had the option.
UKIP is a one trick pony, that's why nobody voted for them, no doubt MR ED will promise a referendum for the next GE much in the way Tony did and then once elected renege on the promise
Old 26-05-2012, 10:08   #666
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I have a spooky feeling they'll do slightly better at the next General Election.

Unless the mainstream parties wake up, and realise how important an issue this is for the vast majority of people.

They might decide to dangle a pre-election carrot, and promise of a referendum if elected.

Though I think the unable to think for themselves public, are wising up to those particular lies from our politicans.

Old 26-05-2012, 10:21   #667
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I have a spooky feeling they'll do slightly better at the next General Election.

Unless the mainstream parties wake up, and realise how important an issue this is for the vast majority of people.

They might decide to dangle a pre-election carrot, and promise of a referendum if elected.

Though I think the unable to think for themselves public, are wising up to those particular lies from our politicans.
Probably each post on here, made by those elected to think for us, equates to ten votes for a non-mainstream political party.

Keep 'em coming.

Please.

Old 26-05-2012, 10:42   #668
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Probably each post on here, made by those elected to think for us, equates to ten votes for a non-mainstream political party.

Keep 'em coming.

Please.
50 votes if your an MP Rindi
Old 26-05-2012, 10:43   #669
Common Sense Member

Quote:

Although I'm in complete agreement with your first three statements, you seem to have found another line to trot out about 'being unable to think for ourselves' as some form of sarcastic cleverness. I'm sure we'll hear this over and over and OVER in the vain hope that someone someday will laugh with you.

Try to grasp this - occasionally, we all have to admit that there are people out there who know more about certain subjects than we do. I'll freely admit that Graham Jones knows far more about the EU situation than I do.

Apparently you will not.

If you choose to berate someone for making a decision based on a more informed standpoint then that's your prerogative but for myself I will have a little faith on this occasion. We may not agree with decisions in Westminster but the only alternative is to keep asking different MPs until one day you find one who shares your view, which presumably is the 'correct' one.

I'm no great fan of the EU but I'm savvy enough to realise that pulling out is not a swift or painless process.

Old 26-05-2012, 10:47   #670
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Although I'm in complete agreement with your first three statements, you seem to have found another line to trot out about 'being unable to think for ourselves' as some form of sarcastic cleverness. I'm sure we'll hear this over and over and OVER in the vain hope that someone someday will laugh with you.

Try to grasp this - occasionally, we all have to admit that there are people out there who know more about certain subjects than we do. I'll freely admit that Graham Jones knows far more about the EU situation than I do.

Apparently you will not.

If you choose to berate someone for making a decision based on a more informed standpoint then that's your prerogative but for myself I will have a little faith on this occasion. We may not agree with decisions in Westminster but the only alternative is to keep asking different MPs until one day you find one who shares your view, which presumably is the 'correct' one.

I'm no great fan of the EU but I'm savvy enough to realise that pulling out is not a swift or painless process.
There is far more pain staying in for ordinary folk, but of course we've already been told that we don't matter anymore
Old 26-05-2012, 10:48   #671
Common Sense Member

Quote:
There is far more pain staying in for ordinary folk, but of course we've already been told that we don't matter anymore
When?

Old 26-05-2012, 10:50   #672
Resting in Peace

Quote:
When?
Which plannet have you been on since May 2011 it certainly isn't plannet Earth thats for sure, whats this thread all about for a start!!!!!!!!!
Old 26-05-2012, 10:56   #673
Senior Member+

Britain out
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 10:56   #674
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Which plannet have you been on since May 2011 it certainly isn't plannet Earth thats for sure, whats this thread all about for a start!!!!!!!!!
I don't ever recall being told that I don't matter anymore, that's all. I note that the Conservatives weren't exactly falling over themselves to vote in favour of it either. The subject isn't going to go away and sooner or later someone is going to have to deal with it properly but I come back to my point about referendums having to be done properly and an EU vote would involve some serious publicity to point out the facts.

Bring it on, I'm in favour in principle, but at the moment I suspect a lot of people would vote based on their 'knowledge' from the media and that is far from having the full facts.

You of all people should know this given your background.

Old 26-05-2012, 13:03   #675
Senior Member+

Quote:
I don't ever recall being told that I don't matter anymore, that's all. I note that the Conservatives weren't exactly falling over themselves to vote in favour of it either. The subject isn't going to go away and sooner or later someone is going to have to deal with it properly but I come back to my point about referendums having to be done properly and an EU vote would involve some serious publicity to point out the facts.

Bring it on, I'm in favour in principle, but at the moment I suspect a lot of people would vote based on their 'knowledge' from the media and that is far from having the full facts.

You of all people should know this given your background.
More likely that the politicians would vote as per their party diktat and whips required them to.
Can you honestly say that politicians are more open than the media? - just listen to any interview on TV or radio with a politician and see if a question put to them is truly answered, in fact is it answered at all?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..