Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Did Graham Jones make the right vote, in your opinion?
Yes, he made the right vote. 5 10.87%
No, he didn't make the right vote. 41 89.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2012, 20:27   #736
God Member

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Not so sure about that. I reckon the rapid rate at which things are changing in Europe with the euro on the point of unravelling before our eyes, they might have to give us a referendum. But they'll fudge the question or ignore the result or do something to deny our wishes.
You never know ... if it looks as if the EU is disintegrating (and it certainly looks that way) a referendum, without a fudged question, could be a good move for the government. Get the people's sanction for heading to the lifeboats. And then Cameron can say: "Sorry Angela, old girl, the great unwashed have spoken. Not much I can do about it, what. After all, democracy and all that. Have a nice day."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2012, 23:04   #737
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You never know ... if it looks as if the EU is disintegrating (and it certainly looks that way) a referendum, without a fudged question, could be a good move for the government. Get the people's sanction for heading to the lifeboats. And then Cameron can say: "Sorry Angela, old girl, the great unwashed have spoken. Not much I can do about it, what. After all, democracy and all that. Have a nice day."
Good.

They'll just have to concentrate on the invasion along the eastern front.

They could all be singing Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles in Ankara, by Christmas.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 09:11   #738
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Good.

They'll just have to concentrate on the invasion along the eastern front.

They could all be singing Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles in Ankara, by Christmas.
Its like my Fathers said before he died, he always said we fought 2 world wars to stop the flaming Germans from ruling this country, now we're giving it to them on a plate, well in words something like that anyway
Old 14-06-2012, 09:41   #739
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its like my Fathers said before he died, he always said we fought 2 world wars to stop the flaming Germans from ruling this country, now we're giving it to them on a plate, well in words something like that anyway
How many fathers had yeh?
Old 14-06-2012, 10:00   #740
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
How many fathers had yeh?
One but I have two fingers which I've got stuck in the air right now
Old 14-06-2012, 13:22   #741
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
One but I have two fingers which I've got stuck in the air right now
Peace to you too brother
Old 14-06-2012, 18:14   #742
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Peace to you too brother
Granted
Old 14-06-2012, 19:46   #743
Give, give, give member

Posted today...

It may be beneficial to hold a referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union at some point in the future

Graham Jones MP: It may be beneficial to hold a referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union at some point in the future

Perhaps that's the sound of Penny droppin' 'em we can hear.

Or even just his supporters, vanishing.

Let's not get too giddy though.

He came out with similar appeasing platitudes on here.

Two weeks before voting with his party, and against the people, and against a referendum.

Perhaps it won't be fully ok to have the right to vote in a referendum, until the man pulling his strings says so.

Old 14-06-2012, 19:53   #744
Give, give, give member

So, in this mythical 'future' time, the British public will magically, and suddenly, have the brains to work out what they actually want?

What a load of pig swill.

This is about a principle.

Either people have the right to vote in a referendum on E.U. memebership, or they don't.

Time's irrelevant.

Though it does make a mockery of the rather weak argument given by some, that the situation is too complex for Joe Bloggs to understand.

Old 14-06-2012, 20:10   #745
Give, give, give member

'The central point to take from it is that the debate around EU membership – which often descends into nationalism and emotional arguments –'

Graham Jones MP

Utter tripe.

It only became mildly heated when you unmasked yourself as a hypocrite.

Prattling on about a referendum settling this question democratically, shortly before voting against us being allowed one.

As for nationalism, I was busy fighting right-wing extremism when you were still in short pants...even though there's only a year between us.

So that's more crap.

(No need to thank me for helping to push your jazz mag doodlings, whoops, blog. I know you don't get many readers.)

Old 15-06-2012, 08:47   #746
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'The central point to take from it is that the debate around EU membership – which often descends into nationalism and emotional arguments –'

Graham Jones MP

Utter tripe.

It only became mildly heated when you unmasked yourself as a hypocrite.

Prattling on about a referendum settling this question democratically, shortly before voting against us being allowed one.

As for nationalism, I was busy fighting right-wing extremism when you were still in short pants...even though there's only a year between us.

So that's more crap.

(No need to thank me for helping to push your jazz mag doodlings, whoops, blog. I know you don't get many readers.)

Ya mean he has a blog
Old 15-06-2012, 14:31   #747
God Member

I'm thinking of applying for a job as Cameron's speech writer. As part of my application, I will submit the following sample of my work:

"Fellow Britons, thank you for allowing me into your homes. In the recent past we embarked on a journey with our European friends and allies. In our march from the dark valleys of war and destruction to the sunny uplands of peace and prosperity, we have united with them in creating a New Europe, one of co-operation in both the economic and political spheres.

Dark clouds are again gathering in the skies over Europe. These are not clouds of militarism and war, but of economic distress and uncertainty. Her Majesty's Government, supported by Her Loyal opposition, employing the mandate given to them by you, the voters, have worked tirelessly to promote the best interests of Great Britain. The time may soon be upon us when we have to act decisively to protect those interests. In co-operation with my colleague, Mr. Clegg, and with Mr. Milliband, I have instructed the Ministers of the Crown in charge of the relevant portfolios to work towards forming a commitee to consider how we should respond to the present crisis.

However, this is not the time for rash and precipitous action. But at some time in the future, probably after you have spoken in the next General Election, you, the great British public, may be asked to vote on our membership in the European Union. I know that some of you, perhaps as many as 5%, favour swift, decisive action based on a simple, and in the opinion of your representatives at Westminster, simplistic question. But, this is not the British way. We must not panic. We must remain calm as we watch events unfold.

I am aware that some few of you may be unhappy with this. To those few I say: There are regular flights leaving Heathrow for Canada and Australia. Have a nice day."

I know, it's a work in progress. But I've heard worse.
Old 15-06-2012, 14:53   #748
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Or put simply eric, If yeh don't like it Pish Off.
Old 15-06-2012, 14:57   #749
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Or put simply eric, If yeh don't like it Pish Off.
Well, if you remove the cliches and the bs, it does kinda mean that
Old 15-06-2012, 17:26   #750
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well, if you remove the cliches and the bs, it does kinda mean that
What are cliches okay I'll get mi coat

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..