Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2011, 03:39   #1
God Member

Did you know HBC has Development Manager for Climate Change

came across this on another Hyndburn website ....

Quote:
"Lights will go out all around the world on Saturday 26 March at 8.30 p.m. when individuals, families, businesses, governments and communities are invited to turn out their lights for one hour to show their support for environmentally sustainable action.

The event began in Sydney in 2007, through a partnership between WWF Australia, Leo Burnett and Fairfax Media, when 2 million people in one city switched off their lights. By 2010, Earth Hour had created history as the largest voluntary action ever witnessed with participation across
128 countries and territories and every continent, including the world s most recognized man-made marvels and natural wonders in a landmark environmental action.

Join in on Saturday 26 March at 8.30 p.m to help make Earth Hour 2011 even bigger and better by:-
? Switching off your lights for one hour at 8.30 p.m.,
? Promising you will go beyond the hour to take lasting action to
make the world a better place.

Help to spread the word by passing on this email to your friends and go to
www.earthhour.org for more information and show your support. On the website you can also create a virtual lantern to show you care about the planet and use to pass the message on via facebook and twitter.

But if you don t want to sit completely in the dark as you join in with Earth Hour you could have a candle-lit evening. The One Planet Shop (54 Abbey Street, Accrington) has a nice selection of candles for sale. Also, to help you continue to live more sustainably, the shop is giving away energy-saving light bulbs (whilst stocks last) and to help reduce your electricity bills you can also borrow an energy monitor from there.
www.oneplanet.coop

Have a happy Earth Hour. Please let me know if you joined in and if you took any further steps to continue beyond the hour.

Lesley

Lesley Cryer
Development Manager Climate Change
PROSPECTS Foundation,
c/o 20 Cannon Street,
Accrington,
Lancashire.
BB5 1NJ.
T: 01254 380677
www.prospectsfoundation.org.uk

__________________________________________________ ________

Hyndburn Borough Council
An Excellent Council

One of the top 10 District Councils in The Sunday Times Best Companies Guide.
Top Local Authority in the UK for Waste Minimisation as awarded by DEFRA

Accrington Market - Voted the best indoor market in Britain. Why don't you visit us and see why?
Guess it's nice to know where some of your Council Tax is going , be interesting to know how much Hyndburn's Development Manager,for Climate Change is drawing . Doubt anyone with such a fancy title is working for 'nowt' and the job must require degree level education and salary to match . Happen it's a job created for someone with family in the know , or someone related tangentaly to the 'wind farm' operation starting up on Ossy moors and HBC's decision makers.

Just asking

Last edited by Neil; 26-03-2011 at 03:52. Reason: fix quote
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2011, 03:48   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Did you know HBC has Development Manager for Climate Change

Prospects Foundation is not part of HBC but is a charity, have a look here

Welcome to the PROSPECTS Website - Prospects Foundation
Old 26-03-2011, 05:50   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Welcome to the PROSPECTS Website - Prospects Foundation

thanks for the update Neil , the links at the bottom the mailing threw me , also the links to the LCC on the Prospects web-site . Happy to see that you can confirm that there are absolutly NO fiscal links whatsoever between HBC and a group which seems to garner so much support from various local elected leaders (think thats the term they seem to prefer these days ,the term 'Local Politicain' seems to have a bit of a fecal smell to it )

just out of curiosity , anyone know who is the landlord , or any other tenants of 20 Cannon st.

Last edited by steeljack; 26-03-2011 at 05:53.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 05:58   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I cant say there are no links. The email has the same footer as HBC emails so they may be using HBC's email system.

Someone will know I am sure
Old 26-03-2011, 08:34   #5
Senior Member+

Perhaps if all night time electrically powered advertising signs are swithched off, say 30 minutes after the business closes, there would be a substantial saving?
Old 26-03-2011, 09:12   #6
Senior Member+

With public services being decimated, care homes closing, vulnerable citizens under fear for their futures, am I alone in thinking that switching your lights off an hour earlier is the equivalent of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?

gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 18:29   #7
Senior Member+

Another addition to the load of rubbish that is spouted about humanity reducing the amount of greenhouse gases we produce.
Just have a look at the % produced by humanity and compare it with the amount produced by Mother Nature you will find that the amount we produce is infitesimal. I would look it up myself because I have forgotten the actual figures, but to do that would use more energy. :-D
Old 26-03-2011, 18:48   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

It's not going to happen is it ! Some dreadfully inane media drivel will be on the box & those who thrive on such aren't really going to give a toss about saving an hours worth of lekky at the risk of missing their fix of TV tripe !

Added to that how many chuck outs, Pubs & Restaurants are going to deter paying customers on what is traditionally one of their busiest evenings by partaking in such a useless attention grabbing stunt ? Just shows how out of touch with reality some people can be.

Incidentally if they're turning everything off to save the Polar Bears & some shrubbery, how in hell are they going to be able to use facebook & twitter to let everyone know how eco/green/envirofriendly they're being ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 20:46   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Look further, Neil- a charity funded by-Hyndburn, the place to be-Lancashire County Council-Lancashire Environmental Fund(supported by LCC)-the Lottery and 3 others. So at least four of the funders are giving it money from- guess where!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 23:16   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Look further, Neil- a charity funded by-Hyndburn, the place to be-Lancashire County Council-Lancashire Environmental Fund(supported by LCC)-the Lottery and 3 others. So at least four of the funders are giving it money from- guess where!
They get funding for projects from many places so you cant really comment unless you know which projected funded that position.
Old 27-03-2011, 08:51   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I'll be joining in but at 8.30 tonight (27th), thanks to B.S.T. (and not Greeny B.U.L.L.S.H.I.N.E.), The clocks move forward & it will still be light at this time.
Well done to all the others that I know will join me in this Earth hugging event that lasts right through until October.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 09:20   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'll be joining in but at 8.30 tonight (27th), thanks to B.S.T. (and not Greeny B.U.L.L.S.H.I.N.E.), The clocks move forward & it will still be light at this time.
Well done to all the others that I know will join me in this Earth hugging event that lasts right through until October.
I'd sooner huge a polar bear Less
Old 27-03-2011, 09:24   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Is huge-ing a Polar Bear some sort of sexual fantasy that you have?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 09:42   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Is huge-ing a Polar Bear some sort of sexual fantasy that you have?
No but it keeps ya warm at night
Old 30-03-2011, 06:59   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think hugging a Polar Bear comes under the heading of "don't try this at home kids" .... it would be more painful than fu .... ooops, sorry about that, making love to a porcupine. But if you do feel like heading out to share some warm fuzzies with an ursus maritimus, I will lend you my 30-30. Remember, it only holds 7 rounds; so, be prepared to reload. And as Douglas Adams wrote: "Don't Panic".
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..