Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2008, 18:22   #1
JJ_

Different words,same meaning....

Isnt it strange that although we all live in good old Blighty that we have different names for the same things, I went into a chip shop not too long ago and asked for a 'chip muffin', she looked at me very strangely and said 'huh' lol..
Coming from Bury i've always known it as a chip muffin, what different words have you come across?
JJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2008, 18:39   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Different words,same meaning....

In scotland its different, if you ask for a chip t-cake they would look at you strange, a t-cake has fruit in it up there. It confuses me when asking for a "chip butty" in a different town, dont know whether its a t-cake, muffin, barm cake, bap etc
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 18:41   #3
JJ_

Yeah emzy i know a teacake as having fruit in it, where i live here in blackpool a barm cake is a muffin, a muffin to some is a choc muffin...
Old 16-04-2008, 18:42   #4
JJ_

spins the mind doesnt it lmao
Old 16-04-2008, 20:09   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

A muffin is a plain tea cake but here where I live it's a barm cake and a tea cake always has sultanas in. In Durham a muffin/whatever is called a stotty cake but a bit further North, in Northumberland, it's a bap. Go to South Yorkshire/Derbyshire and it's a flour cake.

Anyway, what I want to know is - what happened to the Sally Lunn? My aunt used to bake them for her shop and I haven't seen one for donkey's years.
Old 16-04-2008, 20:10   #6
God Member

its a bit like broth then, down south they havent a clue what it means, they think its soup
Old 16-04-2008, 20:15   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
its a bit like broth then, down south they havent a clue what it means, they think its soup
yeah, i noticed that... ty's dad is from kent and wouldnt eat broth unless i called it soup cos he ssaid he didnt like it

theres dinner and tea as well...... he used to argue with about that!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 20:17   #8
God Member

i know what you mean about dinner and tea, although i must admit, i call dinner lunch and tea dinner sometimes
Old 16-04-2008, 20:18   #9
Senior Member+

its funny, yes and no seem to have the same meaning in my house, no seems to mean yes to my boys
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 20:19   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
its funny, yes and no seem to have the same meaning in my house, no seems to mean yes to my boys

that seems to be the same for all the male population, dont worry about it
Old 16-04-2008, 20:31   #11
God Member

I love the different meanings to things .. My ex was from yorkshire and we always had long debates about Muffins t cakes bam cakes etc .. its like crumpets . they were know as pikelets to him, whenever i went to see his family we had some weird and wonderfuls chats..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 20:46   #12
God Member

So, I guess we're not talking about the kind of muffins that are made out of bran, often with raisins in, or whole wheat and carrot, or chocolate, or blueberry ... you know, the kind that you grab to go with your morning cup of mud
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 20:47   #13
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
I love the different meanings to things .. My ex was from yorkshire and we always had long debates about Muffins t cakes bam cakes etc .. its like crumpets . they were know as pikelets to him, whenever i went to see his family we had some weird and wonderfuls chats..

My husband was from Bradford and he called crumpets - crumpets - but when we lived in the Midlands they called them pikelets. I always found it odd that in Bradford they call a chip shop a "fish shop" and a shop that sells fresh fish is a "wet fish shop".
Old 16-04-2008, 20:47   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
So, I guess we're not talking about the kind of muffins that are made out of bran, often with raisins in, or whole wheat and carrot, or chocolate, or blueberry ... you know, the kind that you grab to go with your morning cup of mud

muffins-t-cakes-baps-rolls are all the same thing around here, they are what you make a butty out of
Old 16-04-2008, 20:49   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
My husband was from Bradford and he called crumpets - crumpets - but when we lived in the Midlands they called them pikelets. I always found it odd that in Bradford they call a chip shop a "fish shop" and a shop that sells fresh fish is a "wet fish shop".
Strange, my gran called crumpets, "Pikelets", and she was from Ossy
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..