Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2016, 13:44   #1
Full Member+

Disabled parking warning

We thought with the nice weather we would have a trip to Skipton today. We have not been since sometime before Christmas as weather has not been fit. We parked where we always park in a disabled bay and duly displayed the Blue Badge on the dashboard. We came back 2 and half hours later to find a parking ticket for £50 on the windscreen. Apparently disabled drivers have to pay since January. So if any of you have a Blue badge or take relatives who have one you have been warned you still need to pay for a ticket in Skipton.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2016, 13:56   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Disabled parking warning

Try appealing nowt to lose, although My experience with Accrington arndale when i moved back from Spain, and genuinely had forgot you had to display a disc, just remembered it was free parking, i was done for parking in a free parking place made no difference, but at least i got to tell em what i thought of em.

Last edited by cashman; 20-04-2016 at 14:00.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 14:45   #3
Full Member+

Yeh I once got done in Nelson. Thats free parking but forgot the disc. I think it should be made clearer but I suppose they catch a lot of the disabled drivers out so they will not want to loose the money they are making. There was a traffic warden not far from the car when we got out. Cheeky b....... could have shouted and said we needed a ticket but I suppose she is on commission. bet she put the fine on the windscreen soon as we got round the corner.
Old 20-04-2016, 15:35   #4

It's always worth checking the board close to a pay machine, some councils which make one pay give a bonus time such as an additional half hour parking or even double the time for the same charge.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 18:13   #5
Senior Member+

I parked in the disabled bay outside the town hall for less than ten minutes while I took some of my late wife's clothes into the Heart foundation charity shop.
I got a parking ticket because my disc was three days out of date.
I paid up because I knew it was useless appealing.

A few weeks ago I parked in the same bay while I did a two hour shift in the Welfare for the blind shop in Arndale.
I didn't get a ticket even though I'd forgotten to display my blue badge.
Old 20-04-2016, 18:24   #6
Full Member+

Yes davidf I went to look before we left. At the bottom it did say disabled drivers got an extra hour for payments but I thought that meant on top of the 3 hours free that normally apply with a badge. I think when a place has had free parking for years they should have put up notices that could not be missed. At this rate there is going to be no advantage at all having a Blue badge. On reading the summons I saw that if the fine was paid within 14 days the fine was reduced by 50% so I got a cheque off for £25 because knowing my luck if I tried disputing it the 14 days would go by and I would end up paying the full amount. We will put it down to experience and make sure we read the board by the pay meter in future.
Old 22-04-2016, 12:06   #7

If you appeal the PCN your case goes on hold until a decision is made.
JB x

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 21:05   #8
Full Member+

Thanks for that jelly baby. I will bear that in mind should it happen again but I dont think we will get caught out again.Once bitten.......
Old 23-04-2016, 03:45   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
If you appeal the PCN your case goes on hold until a decision is made.
JB x
but dont you loose the option to pay the lower rate for faster payment ?

or has it changed now ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 09:28   #10

No, you still pay the 'reduced' rate as long as you pay within 14 days of the date of the decision.
JB x

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 12:22   #11
Full Member+

I thought I would loose that option thats why I paid the lower rate.
Old 27-04-2016, 19:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
...My experience with Accrington arndale when i moved back from Spain, and genuinely had forgot you had to display a disc, just remembered it was free parking...
Whoa - is that true for all parkers?

I have never displayed a disc, and never been done. Don't have a blue badge, either...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 19:27   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Whoa - is that true for all parkers?

I have never displayed a disc, and never been done. Don't have a blue badge, either...
That was in the millenium year when i returned from Spain, its perfectly true. yeh had to display a disc, but as i lived in Blackpool for 6yrs before we moved i had completely forgot about the disc, plus the missus had just died an me head was up me arse,

Last edited by cashman; 27-04-2016 at 19:29.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 19:56   #14
Full Member+

I thought Accrington had done away with the disc parking. Nelson still have theirs and tickets are still given for not displaying a disc.
Old 27-04-2016, 19:57   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I thought Accrington had done away with the disc parking. Nelson still have theirs and tickets are still given for not displaying a disc.
They did away with discs Rowlf, but not back then.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..