Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 08:29   #31
I am Banned

Re: disgusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I think you would be better of speaking to Blackburn with Darwen Council seeing as the school is in Blackburn
sir your point is both wise and valid lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-12-2005, 08:41   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
sir your point is both wise and valid lol
I will get a bad name if you keep making comments like that
Old 06-12-2005, 08:44   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I will get a bad name if you keep making comments like that
i said your point was wise not you ...
Old 06-12-2005, 08:46   #34
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
ok since when does a belief that you dont eat ham lead to ham making you ill..?

I wondered that too. A muslim friend of my daughter at primary school used to do a "sausage swap" with her because she preferred th pork ones! Until her mother found out and she got told off. I only learned about it afterwards.

I do accept that to a devout and sincere muslim the eating of any pork meat is forbidden and they would never willingly or knowingly go against that. Schools usually try to accomodate with halal and non halal alternatives.

As most of you know my children are LDS (Mormon to most people) and most people know that we don't drink tea or coffee. It's very rare for either to be part of a school dinner but about 7 years ago, one winter, the children were given coffee at dinner time. My youngest daughter had no idea what it was and as the other children were drinking it she drank hers too. It was only when her sister (who had hers in a different school building) asked her what she'd had to drink instead of the coffee that she learned it was coffee and she was upset that she'd drunk it.

She wasn't sick and I wasn't disgusted. I did call in at the school the next day and explain to them and they made a little note that if coffee was ever on the menu again not to offer one to my daughter. I think she would have queried it anyway if they did because she knew to be aware of it then.

Yes, drinking coffee goes against the teachings of our religion but I don't believe my daughter was damned because she had some and I didn't see the need to make a public outcry about it. It was all done and dusted and over with the minimum of fuss.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:47   #35
God Member

Its ignorence of others beliefs that lead to these "mishaps" and as willow says a young child cannot be held to account for the mistakes of others. They learn from it.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:47   #36
Senior Member+

Willow
Why cant you drink coffee or tea ?
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:51   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
Willow
Good question dont want to be ignorent about others beliefs but is there a religous reason and what else does it apply to?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 21:40   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
If that's the same school me and you attended Gayle I'm disgusted what is the world coming to?
Yes it is.

They are still allowed to use it as a deciding factor if they're over subscribed but they're not allowed to use it as a reason for refusing admission in the first place.

It's not relevant who attends the school, what is relevant is what they teach. So, for my daughter's school they teach a Catholic education to ALL the pupils in the class and parents have to accept that if they send their children there.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 22:22   #39
Senior Member+

Noticed that in the school here was also a mention of German Kids too.88% of them are normally Catholic
Old 06-12-2005, 23:16   #40
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
Willow

It's part of a thing called "The Word of Wisdom" which was revealed to Joseph Smith in 1833. Basically it was in answer to a query about some disgusting habits involving tobacco at the time but then alcohol and "hot drinks" were included in the "don'ts". The hot drinks of the day were tea and coffee and later confirmation of this revelation confirms that tea and coffee were the only hot drinks meant. So we can drink other hot drinks made from other things like Barleycup and Caro. (I drink Dandelion coffee for medicinal purposes but it doesn't work very well!)

The revelation goes on to give guidelines about the relevant quantities of other foods which should be eaten such as plenty of seasonal fruit and veg and not to overdo the red meat. That's a bit simplified but it is very similar to modern day healthy eating guidelines.

Some people interpret the reason for the tea and coffee ban to be because of their caffeine content and then create additional bans for themselves which include Cola and Dr. Pepper and even chocolate but the actual reason has never been stated as the caffeine content so it's purely up to people thmselves if they abstaine from all caffeine, but on the other hand overdosing on caffeine isn't such a good idea anyway.

I do stick to the "thou shalt not" bits quite faithfully but I have to admit that I'm not very good at the "thou ought to" bits as I know I don't eat enough fruit, and wheat is supposed to be very good for us and even though I have lots of wheat recipes I never really get around to doing much with them. Maybe I should take it as a New Year challenge.

You won't find it so much amongst the newer or younger members these days but if you check with old Mormon fogies you'll probably find that most of us have at least two great big blue kegs of wheat down the back of our pantry "for emergencies"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:48   #41
Senior Member+

half way thru readint this thread i was gonna say wud u make a mormon drink coffee and work on a sunday (but willow got there b4 me!) or make a vegetarian eat this pizza knowin it was against theie own beliefs?

i'm quite shocked at this thread to be honest and the responses.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:40   #42

mani i dont think anyone was made to eat or do things against their will ...it was just an unfortunate accident..that now seems to have been blown outa proportion

Last edited by geoff70; 09-12-2005 at 12:46.
geoff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:57   #43
I am Banned

no one made anyone eat anything

ime pretty sure a junior school kid could spot ham on a piza infact i bet they didnt even care its only their parents that are kicking up a fuss and probably/alledgedly lieing through their teeth by saying it made their children sick just to add drama to the situation

probably going to see claims going in soon for pain and suffering soon most likely

Last edited by chav1; 09-12-2005 at 13:03.
Old 09-12-2005, 13:21   #44

right on chav ,but give it time soon they will be able to chose what they really want to eat ,and if they even want to remain in the religion their parents follow at the minute ...its almost like a father making his children support the same football team as him,then when the kids get older and have more sense they usually ditch dads loser footie team and pick one of their own which is almost always chelsea lol!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 13:58   #45
Senior Member+

geoff - i'm not sayin about that - i read the thing in the paper - it was an accident - fair enough. people will kick up about it. if sommet happened that irritated me i'd kick up about it. its not the story its the views of some of the people i'm referring to

chav - i'm not sayin they did - but when i was that age - i didnt know what ham looked like. least of all on a pizza. when u dont eat soemthign how r u meant to know how it looks like? when u get soem fancy poncy french dish - from a resturant - do u know its meant to look like that or do u take their word for it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..