Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance
Yes 1 8.33%
No 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 21:09   #151

Re: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance?

The way I look at is if the positions were reversed and we were governed by Scotland I would vote for independence.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2014, 21:41   #152
Senior Member+

If Scotland do vote "Yes" then the Labour party lose all it's Scottish seats- would think that Cameron will be quietly supporting the "Yes" vote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:15   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Oh ... and Celine Dionne.
Hubby will take Celine off your hands Eric, but as far as i am concerned, you can give Bieber to Scotland, or anyone else for that matter
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:35   #154
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
If Scotland do vote "Yes" then the Labour party lose all it's Scottish seats- would think that Cameron will be quietly supporting the "Yes" vote
Would think that's why Milliband's suddenly woken up and is frantically campaigning for the "No" vote. He knows only too well that independence for the Jocks means Labour will never achieve power in the residual UK again.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:43   #155
Senior Member+

Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 15:07   #156
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I am hoping for a yes now, let them all do one back to Scotland if they hate being part of the UK so much.

Interesting though that Lloyd's parent company to Royal Bank of Scotland are planning on moving their headquarters from Edinburgh to London if Scotland goes independent according to something I read in the FT the other day. Other big companies are planning on doing the same as well.
Old 05-09-2014, 21:52   #157
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am hoping for a yes now, let them all do one back to Scotland if they hate being part of the UK so much.

i just hope that part of teh deal isnt that we keep on funding tehir medical bills

its an insult that no one pays for prescriptions as it is yet we have to and it would be even more of a spit in our faces if we have to continue this unfair arrangement

lol the methodone bill will bankrupt scotland in a week if we loose the burden of their medical expenses
westendlass likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 23:31   #158

My late father was a Scot and when I saw there was a webpage for a "sensible debate" on Facebook, I thought it would consist of the undecided and those who had already decided all having a calm conflab of the many pros and cons.

I got a rude awakening

For the word "Westminster" read "Hate"
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:40   #159
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
For the word "Westminster" read "Hate"
Think you'll find it's not just the Jockeens, that have a rather severe reaction to Westminster & its Muppets.
cashman, accyman and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:55   #160
Senior Member+

I have a few good mates who live in Scotland, one in Glasgow, one Lockerbie and others scattered about the place.
My great grandfather came down from Campbeltown, Mull of Kyntyre and is back buried there with his ancestors. I have visited the grave and there are a lot of Taylors there.
Even so I found that when I was delivering to Scottish companies the staff there hated the English, different in the tourist spots where they wanted your money.
Example was at Pumpherston when I went into the cabin to brew up, my own tea bag by the way, black looks all round, then a Scottish driver came in and asked to brew up and they said "If the English B*****d can I'm sure you can"

My Scottish friends are all against Scotland going independant.
One sent the following today..
--------------------------------------
So Salmond says to the Queen, when we win will you call us a principality and then you can call me Prince?

No says madam, OK you could call me a kingdom and then call me King, No says Madam.

What then says Salmon, Madam replied "we should call it a country and then call you a !!!!"
mobertol likes this.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:05   #161
God Member

when the scottish have finally had their say is it our turn ?

seems to be a lot of freedom of choice going around im just wondwering when we get our turn

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:23   #162
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

seems to be a lot of freedom of choice going around im just wondwering when we get our turn
Dream on accyman,it aint NEVER gonna happen.
Old 06-09-2014, 16:46   #163
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

An independent Lancashire ... now there's an idea.
mobertol likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:53   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
An independent Lancashire ... now there's an idea.
I can envisage quite a bit of fun untangling all the 1974 boundary changes and maybe some earlier ones that I don't know about. Lancashire would grow a fair size wouldn't it when you reclaim the bits from Cumbria and Yorkshire. Would Liverpool and Manchester want to divest themselves of the important roles they've grown for themselves?
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 13:38   #165
Senior Member+

The 'No' campaign, as far as we have seen on this side of the border, has been pathetic, laughable. Darlings performance in the last debate was so weak it was embarrassing. Salmond has been allowed to get away with murder when there should have been so many strong arguments against him.
The £, the PM,deputy PM, leader of the opposition all say ' No UK pound'-which bit of 'No' doesn't he understand.
The EU- will Spain let Scotland in when it will encourage the Catalans and Basques in their campaign?
If they did join the EU they'd have to sign the Schengen Agreement-immigrants could travel there from Europe without any checks, they'd flood in and Border checks couldn't stop them crossing into England, they'd just walk across the moors and fields.
The UK government opened up many Civil Service offices up there to create jobs and mollify the Scots- those offices would have to move back to England.
You can go on( I just did!). So much has not really been aired properly.

But just supposing you were a party only hanging onto power by tying up with a minority party you hated, knowing you might lose the next election to the main opposition. Knowing 41 of that oppositions MPs might soon be in a foreign country, not able to join in your Parliament. What a tempting thought- you'd loose 8 million people(who never vote for you anyway) but you'd be almost guaranteed a majority in the wreck that was left-forever.
You'd have to make all the right noises of course( but not too loudly) and just sit back and wait. After all, every cloud has a silver lining.
It couldn't happen, of course. No Party would do that.
Would it?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..