Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance
Yes 1 8.33%
No 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2014, 15:23   #181
Senior Member+

Re: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
His combination of populist policies. (removing bridge tolls, student fees and prescription charges), good management and a reliable team of government ministers, has created a 'feel better' factor and confidence in today's Scotland

Who foots the bill for his "populist" policies?
If there is such a feel good factor and confidence in today's Scotland, why are there so many Scots living in England?
Accrington Web
Old 09-09-2014, 15:55   #182
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
If there is such a feel good factor and confidence in today's Scotland, why are there so many Scots living in England?
Fair points, I'll keep my keyboard revolutionary comments to myself

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 15:56   #183
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
?
The English do.
Something like £1500 more per person spent per person in Scotland by the Scottish Government(due to Barnett formula) than p/p in England.
They don't pay more tax than us so we're subsidising them- free prescriptions, care homes, universities( but not for English students) etc.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:41   #184

Just sayin.......Scottish National Party is an anagram of "Oh nasty tartan politics"
Burningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 19:57   #185
God Member

This made me chuckle
England To Leave The UK Referendum - e-petitions

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 20:07   #186
God Member

Our political system needs a boot up the backside, so maybe a yes vote will do it.
You may be convinced that it will be a financial disaster for us all, but then, we are used to them . If you feel your back is already against the wall, you have nothing to lose.

I remind you that during WW2 and its aftermath (food rationing) we survived worse.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 20:22   #187
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You may be convinced that it will be a financial disaster for us all, but then, we are used to them . If you feel your back is already against the wall, you have nothing to lose.

That depends which way the wall falls,MargaretR

I remind you that during WW2 and its aftermath (food rationing) we survived worse.
Are you comparing Alex Salmond to Hitler?
I think I'd prefer Hitler. He didn't do as much damage to the UK as Salmond will!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 20:40   #188
Super Moderator

I don't think it'll be a financial disaster for us. Some short-term disruption and a fall in the value of the pound maybe, but it certainly won't be a disaster. Reckon it'll be a short, sharp awakening for our friends in the North though.

My main worry in the event of a yes vote is how tough our servile politicos are going to be when it comes to divvying up the assets (and liabilities). Their behaviour in the past few days has been disgraceful, crawling cap in hand to the Jocks, offering them a massive new devolutionary programme (despite this not having been discussed by Parliament) and the ultimate insult, asking us all to display Scottish flags. Glad to see that's been totally ignored.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Jocks think they're so hard done by by being part of the Union, then fine, they can go their own way. I think they may find that the sunlit uplands aren't quite as sunlit as they thought they were!
Old 10-09-2014, 20:43   #189

I've been taking part in the Debate on the Facebook Page "A Sensible Debate About The Scottish Referendum", which I thought would be a reflection of all opinions and no opinions.

There's a bit of hanky panky going on with the Yes vote canvassers. For instance one chap inferred he'd been to England and asked "What do you think about this"? "This", being a a home made film taken in a shop, where not much of the background was visible. Customer asks "How much to exchange 100 Scottish Pounds to English pounds, and received a verbal quote. "Hmm, that's a bit steep" said the "customer". Gasps & protests from the Facebook Posters of how the English were thieving b's and why didn't they accept the Scottish Notes down there.

It wasn't until I submitted a response that others realised what was going on. I asked the poster why he expected a shopkeeper to exchange £100 with a complete stranger who didn't want to buy anything, and also why hadn't he exchanged his money at a nearby bank or post office instead of using a commercial Bureau De Change that charged professional fees for their service.

Another Yes poster said, "Look what came through my letterbox today". Attached was an image of a leaflet from (can't recall the name but the prefix was "Rev" (as in man of the cloth)) The poster read that the Rev had been informed that, just like Eire, prices would increase if Scotland should become independent and join the EU. The Rev went on to say he'd telephoned Tesco's head office and Tesco had assured him that they had no plans to increase their prices. This proves that the bully boys from Westminster are liars who will say anything. After that posting there were scores of "likes" and a flurry of WM liar, WM liar postings.(WM = Westminster). I don't have a nose like Pinnochio but I do use mine to poke around and I compared online Tesco UK prices with online Tesco IE prices. As usual there was a choice of differing weights for the same like for like item so I had to do some basic maths to reach the same weight and then convert Euros to £Sterling. I chose a couple of basic items and found that the UK gets a cheaper price. :

Kelloggs 1K Cornflakes = £3.15 price in UK and £3.80 price in Eire/Ireland.

Batchelor processed Peas stocked in UK & Eire but weights were different - if weights were the same, the prices would be:
420 g :- Eire = Euros 0.99 ... and UK = Euros 0.88

I don't know about everyone else but it was a mortal sin to lie when I was a youngster and we grew up to be honest straight forward people. lol I bet many of you had a parent like mine whose eyes could pin you to the wall or you'd freeze like a rabbit caught in headlights :-)
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 21:01   #190
God Member

the snp and yes are basing their campaign on sticking bloody stickers and posters everywhere, intimidation, damn lies meetings with sabre rattling. they are a bunch of Nazis . I keep asking them about currency they keep saying the pound, I say I thought you didn't want to be british they answer its our pound as well. I friggen just give up they are so politically and economic inept damn well stupid. they just try and railroad every debate with lies and stupidness. hopefully people will see through them before its too late. I just don't know what they want the yes campaign are a bunch of morons. not all Scottish people are stupid as them.
Old 12-09-2014, 21:04   #191
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
I've been taking part in the Debate on the Facebook Page "A Sensible Debate About The Scottish Referendum", which I thought would be a reflection of all opinions and no opinions.

There's a bit of hanky panky going on with the Yes vote canvassers. For instance one chap inferred he'd been to England and asked "What do you think about this"? "This", being a a home made film taken in a shop, where not much of the background was visible. Customer asks "How much to exchange 100 Scottish Pounds to English pounds, and received a verbal quote. "Hmm, that's a bit steep" said the "customer". Gasps & protests from the Facebook Posters of how the English were thieving b's and why didn't they accept the Scottish Notes down there.

It wasn't until I submitted a response that others realised what was going on. I asked the poster why he expected a shopkeeper to exchange £100 with a complete stranger who didn't want to buy anything, and also why hadn't he exchanged his money at a nearby bank or post office instead of using a commercial Bureau De Change that charged professional fees for their service.

Another Yes poster said, "Look what came through my letterbox today". Attached was an image of a leaflet from (can't recall the name but the prefix was "Rev" (as in man of the cloth)) The poster read that the Rev had been informed that, just like Eire, prices would increase if Scotland should become independent and join the EU. The Rev went on to say he'd telephoned Tesco's head office and Tesco had assured him that they had no plans to increase their prices. This proves that the bully boys from Westminster are liars who will say anything. After that posting there were scores of "likes" and a flurry of WM liar, WM liar postings.(WM = Westminster). I don't have a nose like Pinnochio but I do use mine to poke around and I compared online Tesco UK prices with online Tesco IE prices. As usual there was a choice of differing weights for the same like for like item so I had to do some basic maths to reach the same weight and then convert Euros to £Sterling. I chose a couple of basic items and found that the UK gets a cheaper price. :

Kelloggs 1K Cornflakes = £3.15 price in UK and £3.80 price in Eire/Ireland.

Batchelor processed Peas stocked in UK & Eire but weights were different - if weights were the same, the prices would be:
420 g :- Eire = Euros 0.99 ... and UK = Euros 0.88

I don't know about everyone else but it was a mortal sin to lie when I was a youngster and we grew up to be honest straight forward people. lol I bet many of you had a parent like mine whose eyes could pin you to the wall or you'd freeze like a rabbit caught in headlights :-)
the cybernats are everywhere on the internet spreading propaganda lies . halfwits is too tame a name for them.
Old 13-09-2014, 01:41   #192
God Member

its all well the scotts that want to go it alone saying they dont need the english but have they asked themselves who will do their DNA and lie detector tests because i dont think jeremy kyle will fork out for passports as well ..

hey its not my fault most of his guests are scottish i didnt put them on a train down here they got on it by themselves

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 05:49   #193
God Member

remember its not all Scotland
Old 13-09-2014, 08:47   #194
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
the snp and yes are basing their campaign on sticking bloody stickers and posters everywhere, intimidation, damn lies meetings with sabre rattling. they are a bunch of Nazis . I keep asking them about currency they keep saying the pound, I say I thought you didn't want to be british they answer its our pound as well. I friggen just give up they are so politically and economic inept damn well stupid. they just try and railroad every debate with lies and stupidness. hopefully people will see through them before its too late. I just don't know what they want the yes campaign are a bunch of morons. not all Scottish people are stupid as them.
Well, we have to hope your last sentence has some truth in it.
The consequences of people being seduced by what Alex Salmond is putting forth are very real and long lasting....detrimental for all of the UK.
Let us hope that those who are currently planning to vote. YES.....wake up before it is too late.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 18:02   #195
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Vote yes and enjoy your freedom from Westminster.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..