Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 01:25   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: do you fancy buying a church

wouldn't really fancy livin in a church converted, but thats just a personal preferance, see shes done it again n the dummys are fallin fer it.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:13   #32
Resting in Peace

People don't need churches, churches need people.Religion is in the heart and sole of the believer,no matter what faith they choose to believe in.You can pray to your God anywhere you like.(I prefer the mountains in Spain)no collection boxes.It's not the building that is a church,it is the people and how they treat there fellow man that is important.(Still can't do that water into wine trick,but as a club steward managed to reverse the process)Bricks and morter do not make Religion people do.End of sermon(can't manage the mount)
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:43   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
People don't need churches, churches need people.Religion is in the heart and sole of the believer,no matter what faith they choose to believe in.You can pray to your God anywhere you like.(I prefer the mountains in Spain)no collection boxes.It's not the building that is a church,it is the people and how they treat there fellow man that is important.(Still can't do that water into wine trick,but as a club steward managed to reverse the process)Bricks and morter do not make Religion people do.End of sermon(can't manage the mount)
The church is a massive symbol in the Catholic faith, so I have to disagree with that. I'm sure the temples are very important in others too. Just because you disregard the idea doesn't mean everybody does.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:11   #34
Resident Waffler

Our temple is an important place to us but only in as much as what takes place there. If the building was 'de-dedicated' then the building itself wouldn't mean anything.

I can't understand why any religion would place more importance on something inanimate like a building than on the lives and souls of the people within it. That's one of the things I am most uncomfortable with in some other churches when people seem to revere the statues and images and almost worship them. I know not all people do but I've known plenty who do. They kiss the feet of the statues - so much so that the feet are all worn away from years of touching and kissing. What on earth is that all about?

Jesus preached in the open air. He didn't need a building. His most well remembered sermon was delivered from a mountain side.

Perhaps we should get the opinion of members of what was Cannon Street Baptsit church and find out how they feel about the building being up for sale. I remember a minister from there many years ago, Wilf Shewring, who wouldn't have had any objections to the building being sold and the money being made use of. It used to cost a fortune to heat the place and he used to say it was a waste of money. That was back when the old Sunday School part on Willow Street was sold off and the church interior was converted to make a smaller chapel and incorporate the Sunday School rooms into the same building.

Seriously though Blazey - if it wasn't sold and converted to a dwelling what do you suppose would have happened to it? I'd much rather see it survive as a building than collapse as a ruin.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:53   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I imagine that the electric and gas bill would be enormous too.....have you ever been in a warm church?
Which in our current climate of rising energy prices and green movements could be a good reason to knock down old churches and build new efficient housing instead.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:02   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
The church is a massive symbol in the Catholic faith, so I have to disagree with that.

That is only because you are brain washing into thinking that so they can hand the collection box and shame you into giving them money.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:12   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I can't understand why any religion would place more importance on something inanimate like a building than on the lives and souls of the people within it.
Thats the brain washing thing again, we have this big important building so you need to give us lots of money to pay for it. If like you did, they rented a room at a Town Hall or Community centre each week then the Church would not have to look after these expensive buildings they allegedly cannot afford (see the Aspire collection in the Observer for another Church driven guilt trip). Also by using Community building the Church would put something back into the Community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
That's one of the things I am most uncomfortable with in some other churches when people seem to revere the statues and images and almost worship them.
That alway confused me about Catholics. Why pray to Mary? The second of Ten Commandments always spring to mind

Quote:
2. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
In fact most of the other commandments are a good way to live. Except the 7th one, I like to think of that more as a guideline than a law
Old 07-06-2008, 08:12   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is only because you are brain washing into thinking that so they can hand the collection box and shame you into giving them money.
Oh come on be fair, they need the money to keep all the officials in luxry. Most religions make sure their officials are well looked after
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:29   #39
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Oh come on be fair, they need the money to keep all the officials in luxry. Most religions make sure their officials are well looked after

I will not be drawn into what I know about what Churches spend money on. I will only get myself into trouble and you would probably not believe me anyway.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:39   #40
Senior Member+

and i thought i was bad at winding people up, but blazey beats me hands down !!!!

as for me i could never live in an old church, but i dont see the problem in converting them, its beeter to do that than leave them to ruin and have the kids going in setting fire to it every day of the week !!!

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:43   #41
Resting in Peace

I think Rindi has it right the chuch is not the building it's the faith that is the church, this is why the say goes we belong to a broad church, which is the belief encompassing lots of values, not necessarily in relieion either
Old 07-06-2008, 09:32   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Just because you disregard the idea doesn't mean everybody does.

Hit the nail on the head there Blazey.

Oh hang on it's you thats disagreeing with everybody else
Old 07-06-2008, 10:20   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think Rindi has it right the chuch is not the building it's the faith that is the church, this is why the say goes we belong to a broad church, which is the belief encompassing lots of values, not necessarily in relieion either
Jesus attended the Jewish temple as a child, but nowhere in the Bible does he later preach Christianity in a church building.

His church was wherever people met to praise the Lord.

I'd much rather our arcitectural heritage be saved by conversion than demolished, which happened to both Mount Pleasant and Foxhill Bank churches in Oswaldtwistle.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:11   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Jesus attended the Jewish temple as a child, but nowhere in the Bible does he later preach Christianity in a church building.

His church was wherever people met to praise the Lord.

I'd much rather our arcitectural heritage be saved by conversion than demolished, which happened to both Mount Pleasant and Foxhill Bank churches in Oswaldtwistle.
Couldn't agree more Rindi, The old Mt Pleasant chuch was lovely inside, different to a lot of churches, and the last time I looked the site of Foxhill Bank was a car park, I'd much rather have the buildings myself even if they are turned into flats

Last edited by jaysay; 07-06-2008 at 11:13. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 15:03   #45
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
“Church isn’t where you meet. Church isn’t a building. Church is what you do. Church is who you are. Church is the human outworking of the person of Jesus Christ. Let’s not go to Church, let’s be the Church.”
- Bridget Wilard.
Great quote you found Rindy (you closet believer you!)!

I am curious: What happened to this church's congregation? Did they disband or move to smaller facilities? Are there not newly forming "contemporary-type" churches in the area that could/would be able to use this church?

Thanks,

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..