Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you use buses
Regularly 11 25.00%
Quite often 3 6.82%
Sometimes 6 13.64%
Very rarely 8 18.18%
Never 15 34.09%
To go Shopping in other towns 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2013, 15:05   #31
God Member

Re: Do you use buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

What is it that's ripped the heart out of our town?

basically the building of the arndale center and the destruction of our traditional outdoor market

preston's outdoor market which is very similar to what we used to have still thrives amongst the shopping centers and retail parks

when our old market was destroyed most of teh stall holders shut up shop for good and those that stayed operated from blue steel containers dumped on broadway for many months.Peopel dont want to come and see such an awfull sight so went elsewhere and most likely now still go elsewhere.The grass was greener on the other side for shoppers and i guess they are still happy there.

our outdoor market is now a joke and a shambles and in no way measures up to the old one in any way what so ever.It has no charecter and basically sells tat that you can buy cheaper in the pound shop around the corner.The few shops that are left are stuck between charity shops or have to hope people arnt detered from their doorway by the junkies that doss around town.

if only someone would take affirmitive action..

i dunno like maybe take away the benches or something hahahahahaha (sory couldnt resist)

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 22-01-2013 at 15:13.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2013, 15:06   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

No way can i accept,times changed as n excuse fer whats happened to Accrington Centre, That just don't wash wi me. People who have used occasionally have possibly come to that view? People who have used it regular fer many decades may just think like me.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 22-01-2013, 17:39   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Blackburn doesn't attract me at all.
I hate the new shopping Mall and the market is very poor......two fruit and veg stalls for a town the size of Blackburn.
I wouldn't shop in Blackburn if you paid me.
People I know from Blackburn are not over keen on the town centre either Margaret
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 17:43   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree with the unpleasant experience bit but not the market bit. As other have said most other outdoor markets are rubbish compared to how they were. I think that's down to the changes in how people want to shop. I want to get it all at Asda, wheel it to the car and go home, not wander round the market trying to carry a weeks food for 2 adults, 3 kids and 2 Beagles then walk in the rain back to my car.
That's the answer Neil, the wife has to go, sorry Romps only joking
Old 22-01-2013, 17:46   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Don't agree that most other outdoor markets are rubbish. Bury of course is an outstanding example, but Wigan, St Helens, Leigh, Ashton, Stockport and various other places I've been to all have thriving and well-patronised markets. But apart from that, you can't deny that every other town centre is busier than Accy's. The air of semi-desertion on a Saturday afternoon is quite stunning. There must be reasons for that, over and above contemporary shopping habits.
I certainly agree about Wigan, St Helens and Leigh Wyn, used them very regularly over the years Joan still does and she commented only the other week that her local markets are far better than Accrington
Old 22-01-2013, 19:33   #36
God Member

Doesn't matter what you put in the town. People will only visit once and be driven out by the lowlife scum that inhabit the town centre. They won't come back again.
Old 22-01-2013, 21:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Doesn't matter what you put in the town. People will only visit once and be driven out by the lowlife scum that inhabit the town centre. They won't come back again.
Correct the town centre often looks like a holding camp for the Jeremy Kyle show
lancsdave likes this.
Old 22-01-2013, 21:31   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiasfc View Post
Correct the town centre often looks like a holding camp for the Jeremy Kyle show
Bit unfair on Kyle,its a much Lower standard than that!
lancsdave likes this.
Old 22-01-2013, 21:37   #39
God Member

Quote:
Bit harsh, you have to give them some credit for some intelligence wearing invisibility cloaks when councillors and the police are about
Old 23-01-2013, 07:10   #40
God Member

I love shopping in a good market(Barcelona's and Palma, Mallorcas being my fav's) and use Accy market for veg when possible as its usually better quality than ASDA and Tesco. I agree the market is a shadow of its former self.. My auntie used to run a stall for many years selling the tabard things people wore in work.... I've not seen one for sale now in donkeys years, people have changed, there is no need any more... Kevin Horkin I first met when he had a stall selling cheap tat jewelry on accy market ( Would have been ~ 78-80 I reckon?).

Neil did however hit the nail on the head, far more families have both people working so have less time to nip to town during the week, when I've finished work the markets packed up and gone, even if I wanted a nice piece of fresh fish or some veg for tea the only place I can get some is a supermarket unlike abroad where they are thriving well into the evening. As such people have to do a weekly shop and as such want to do it all in one go. It is this convenience that people want hence the rise in Internet shopping. can the market be turned around to become something like Bury? sadly not IMHO, there just isn't the money or desire in the residents to make that happen and you won't attract external visitors till it is already successful

One interesting quirk is at work yesterday ( in Knutsford in case you don't know where I work) I was sat having lunch and some lads on the next table were talking and one was berating his home town for being nothing but charity shops, pound shops, phone shops etc... and he didn't have a Lanky accent either so I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about Accy! I don't think we are unique here, its happening all over

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Last edited by entwisi; 23-01-2013 at 07:12.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 07:53   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Bit harsh, you have to give them some credit for some intelligence wearing invisibility cloaks when councillors and the police are about
Oh and there was me thinking that the town centre was a no go area for councillors and the long arm of the law
Old 23-01-2013, 08:41   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
My auntie used to run a stall for many years selling the tabard things people wore in work.... I've not seen one for sale now in donkeys years,
We get them in to order, we'll even stick your name on it for ya
Old 23-01-2013, 08:58   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
....My auntie used to run a stall for many years selling the tabard things people wore in work.... I've not seen one for sale now in donkeys years....
Employers have to provide PPE now, rule of thumb is if they say you have to wear it for work they have to provide it.

One place I worked at even provided socks and Y fronts if you wanted, I only remember one lad wearing the Y fronts but a few wore the socks
Sunflower49 likes this.
Old 23-01-2013, 12:50   #44
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think we are unique here, its happening all over
Not true, it's not "happening all over". Obviously, charity shops are a fact of life on all high streets these days, but you will go a long way to find a town centre as lifeless as Accy's is now. Apart from the ruination of the markets and the building of the "white elephant" Arndale Centre, the fact that the centre has a larger number of low life scum than a town its size should have has contributed to the mass exodus. Unfortunately, the council don't seem to be able to see the problem, so there's no chance of doing anything about it.

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 23-01-2013 at 12:54.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 13:05   #45
God Member

Quote:
oh dont say that you just reminded me of how it became clear how bad accy has got when i saw the jeremy kyle tour bus parked up on the dunkenhalleigh bypass.In fairness though the people that went on the show were from clayton but its still part of accy .

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..