Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you use buses
Regularly 11 25.00%
Quite often 3 6.82%
Sometimes 6 13.64%
Very rarely 8 18.18%
Never 15 34.09%
To go Shopping in other towns 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2013, 18:30   #1
Resting in Peace

Do you use buses

Do you use buses is a good question to ask seeing the council is still going ahead with the new bus station, even though the town centre is dying on its feet, do we really need a new bus station went there are other things which need attention
jelly baby and Barrie Yates like this.

Last edited by jaysay; 21-01-2013 at 18:35.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2013, 18:35   #2
God Member

Re: Do you use buses

very random John
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 18:40   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Use em regular, but thats sod all to do wi a bus station further away from the town centre.
Old 21-01-2013, 18:50   #4

They are just too expensive. To the degree where the train is actually cheaper if you are staying local and even slightly further a field a taxi is cheaper for more than one of you.

I will get barracked for this but perhaps a way to offset fare rises would be a set fee for bus pass users, perhaps a £1 or 50p a journey, as these form the basis of bus users these days.

I understand the objections there would be to this, after all many have worked hard to earn the aforementioned pass but the other day I had to pay £5.60 for a single from Clitheroe to Burnley. £5.60 for a single bus journey!! Grating when you're the only person on the bus actually paying.

Bearing this in mind, 50p or £1 to go on day excursions to Skipton, Chorley etc is still excellent value.

There is no value in bus travel unless you are on your own and use them all the time. A new bus station is not needed. What is needed is the rent of shops on Broadway and in the Arndale to come down to attract investment and allow local companies to have premises in the town.
jelly baby likes this.
Old 21-01-2013, 18:52   #5

I would also add that lovely as Burnley's recent multi-million pound bus station is ....it hasn't really halted the borough's continuing decline into one of the country's poorest regions.
Old 21-01-2013, 18:54   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
There is no value in bus travel unless you are on your own and use them all the time. A new bus station is not needed. What is needed is the rent of shops on Broadway and in the Arndale to come down to attract investment and allow local companies to have premises in the town.
Obviously I'm slightly biased in my objection to the bus station, but you really are widdling in the wind if you think anybody is listening
Alvin the chipmunk likes this.
Old 21-01-2013, 19:34   #7
Beacon of light

I have a bus pass, but I would be willing to pay a pound for a journey....and I think most bus pass users would be willing to pay something.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 19:40   #8

Never use them they cost to much for what they are. I can get a taxi from clayton to ossy for 4 pound straight from my door to my friends door. On a bus it might not be as much im not sure but it would involve going to hare n hounds bus stop waiting then going all way into accrington centre waiting there then off to ossy to eventually end up on thwaites road.

As i said im not sure on todays prices because there is no chance im getting on one so i dont check. Last time i got one i was sat there thinking 'i could have spend 2 quid more and been there by now but im sat here not even a third of the way there' and in my spare time i looked around the buss to have a quick look at how many people were on the bus and thought 'how have i been charged so much when theres 20 people on here it should be cheaper because it can carry so much more than a taxi'

Last edited by tommiasfc; 21-01-2013 at 19:45.
tommiasfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 20:05   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I would use buses except that the distance from my house to the nearest bus stop (Blackburn Rd) isn't much shorter than walking to town. No bus stops on Hyndburn rd and I doubt that there will be any after the bus station is built.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 20:21   #10
God Member

I have renewed my bus pass just in case I fall on hard times

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 20:39   #11
Senior Member+

Spot on Bus from town to H&H in clayton is £2.50 and M&M is £1.70. Occasionally I will get the bus with m&m in the morning on the way to work if I am up late.

I agree. Don't see point in moving the bus station again when everything else is going to....
Old 21-01-2013, 22:15   #12
God Member

I use the bus regularly, not much choice as I don't drive. Spot on are expensive but you can get a weekly pass, mine is £9:40 for the week, so a damn sight cheaper than paying daily. Bus station doesn't need moving, it will be to far from the market for anybody with a lot of shopping plus there are hardly any shops where it is going to be sited. Complete waste of money IMHO
Old 21-01-2013, 22:24   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I would use buses except that the distance from my house to the nearest bus stop (Blackburn Rd) isn't much shorter than walking to town. No bus stops on Hyndburn rd and I doubt that there will be any after the bus station is built.
there are bus stops on blackburn road you just cant see them because of all the taxis etc parked over them

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 01:39   #14

I'm not in Accrington, but I did the poll anyway.
I've used a bus 3 times in the last year-when I'd stayed at somebody's house unexpectedly, twice to get back to where my car was parked-and another time to get to the next town. I usually drive or get taxis.
I do think buses work out expensive for what they are and it's a shame. I much prefer travelling on buses compared to trains, I don't like train stations and find trains uncomfortable.
Old 22-01-2013, 08:22   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
I would also add that lovely as Burnley's recent multi-million pound bus station is ....it hasn't really halted the borough's continuing decline into one of the country's poorest regions.
At one time Burnley had a good lively town centre and a first class market, just like Accy, to me the only town that still has that pull in this area is Bury from what I hear, with them still having a thriving market
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..