Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By smobile

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2017, 14:34   #1
God Member

does anyone else remember the IRA explosives found in accy

Probably wont find this on the internet as it was quite a while before it was around but when i was in my teens i remember granada reports reporting live from the street next to the pub ( adelphi ) at the bottom of avenue parade

i was there while they were recording it and reporting about a car that had been parked on the carpark just across the road.The car had a white tent put around it and there were all sorts of response units there.It turned out to be loaded with explosives that were thought to have been left for collection at a later date to make bombs with

it would have been the mid 80s

if i remember correctly an IRA fugitive was later picked up living on spencer street ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-06-2017, 15:03   #2

Re: does anyone else remember the IRA explosives found in accy

I remember it well, I was off to play snooker down the elite when we were stopped on Eastgate. Car was on the Charlie Browns car park.

The guy lived up Bold Street I believe.

Lecturer was IRA quartermaster, court told | The Independent
accyman, wadey and Accyexplorer like this.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 15:04   #3
God Member

I remember it well. I was building manager at Melbourne House. My sidekick had to look under all the cars parked on our car park for potential explosives. He was an ex army chap who knew about such things.

The potential 'bomber' was a tutor at Sandy Lane college and I think he served jail time for it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 15:28   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
I remember it well, I was off to play snooker down the elite when we were stopped on Eastgate. Car was on the Charlie Browns car park.

The guy lived up Bold Street I believe.

there was one definatley picked up living on spencer street as well

i think theres been a few picked up around hyndburn

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 16:07   #5
BOB

sorry put the wrong link on IRA bomber now a lecturer on social policy - Independent.ie
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 14:21   #6

Feilim O hAdhmaill

O hAdhmaill was arrested early in 1994, just six weeks after arriving in England to take up a post in Preston as a lecturer on social policy. In November 1994, he was jailed, aged 36, for 25 years for conspiracy to cause explosions.

He had republican form, having faced a charge of murdering an RUC constable in the early 1980s. The case was dropped. He was a close friend of Bobby Sands, the near-legendary IRA hunger-striker.

Born in Birmingham of Northern Irish parents, O hAdhmaill had moved back to Belfast at the age of four. There he gained a doctorate with a thesis on "the dynamics of the ghetto", lecturing in Belfast before applying for the job in Lancashire.

Caught red-handed with a car containing explosives, he admitted IRA membership but mounted the defence that he intended only to store them because the IRA was involved in a peace process.

In a speech from the dock, O hAdhmaill said he hoped the process "leads to a permanent end to the war in my country and the establishment of a lasting and just settlement".

After a lengthy campaign, he was transferred to serve his sentence in a Northern Ireland prison in July 1995.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 14:26   #7

I can remember seeing the car being taken away fully covered on a low loader
Old 12-06-2017, 14:26   #8

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..