Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2009, 13:59   #1

Dog fouling worse than ever...

What do you think?
Since the introduction of fixed penalty notices for people who let their dogs foul the pavements, the dog mess situation has got worse not better!
There is more muck about now than ever, and when you complain to the council they tell you that you have to have actual proof that who you say is responsible, actually is!
In other words a photo I presume! Some streets are plastered in the stuff, and you can't move in a straight line along the pavement.

Personally I think, as dog's muck carries so many infections and health risks, the 'health and safety' people should be put in charge of banning it! They are the only ones who manage to impact on anything. They can ban us from doing almost anything we enjoy doing, and we are no longer able to use 'common sense', (we have to a WARNING sign), so lets get dog's muck on the list of 'health hazards' and see some cleaner streets again!
Galloping Hairpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-10-2009, 14:17   #2
God Member

Re: Dog fouling worse than ever...

A couple of years ago I campaigned to get dog bins installed near my home, which overlooks playing fields used by many dogs per day.
They were installed after about 18 months of pestering.
I had several visits from the dog warden and environmental health officers, who are trying to lessen the problem, but they are hidebound by needing 'proof'.
I did make a one day minute by minute record of the number of dogs on the field and the total was over 50.
I didn't actually count 'piles' but that may be what is needed in the street areas, in order to convince the council to increase the number of bins.

There will be some objectors to bins placed on lamposts near their front doors.
Hence there is no easy solution to this problem.
The provision of bins has reduced dog fouling near me.
Even when I am not looking out of my window I hear the bin being used as the lid slams down after a 'deposit'.

I supplied the car registration numbers of regular daily offenders, and monitored the usual time of day when the offenders visited.
I know that the environmental health people did use that info to give warnings.
In a street situation you would not be able to use that as an means of ID.

The only solution is to ban dog ownership (other than guide dogs) in built up areas.

This situation may partly resolve during this depression, as more people abandon their dogs for financial reasons.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 15:06   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The only solution is to ban dog ownership (other than guide dogs) in built up areas.
Ban dog ownership, Never.
Old 26-10-2009, 16:16   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Ban dog ownership, Never.
at least with a dog theres a chance of teh owner clearing its mess up unlike a cat

i am neither a cat or dog owner because

a: i dont like the idea of cleaning up after a dog so i dont have one

b: despite what people may think i have enough consideration for others to not allow a pet to roam freely to shat all over other peoples property endangering other peoples childrens eyesight

my garden is so littered with other peoples cats mess i darnt use teh lawnmower for fear of showering myself and my patio doors with shat

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 19:31   #5

Its the same old story a few spoiling it for the rest I own a dog he always goes in the gutter and I still poop and scoop I don't see it as a big deal all you need is to carry a bag or two
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 19:43   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemedjuju View Post
Its the same old story a few spoiling it for the rest I own a dog he always goes in the gutter and I still poop and scoop I don't see it as a big deal all you need is to carry a bag or two
my pockets are often stuffed with nappy sacks and thats when I aint walking my dogs...and I dont mind carrying a small bag of poo or two...keeps my hands warm on a cold afternoon
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 19:48   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

I presume thats a tongue in cheek remark?

if not I would be very interested and grateful if you could tell me/us all in detail how you would police such stupid idea...the floors yours..
Old 26-10-2009, 22:58   #8
Senior Member+

It hasn't been as bad around steiner street area as it used to be. Oh and that path between asda steps and milnshaw park. That used to be horrible for dog****
Old 27-10-2009, 10:48   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
I presume thats a tongue in cheek remark?

if not I would be very interested and grateful if you could tell me/us all in detail how you would police such stupid idea...the floors yours..

I can't see it happening either but they have already banned certain breeds. If they are found they are put down and the owners fined etc.

It is not likely to stop at just the pit bull type breeds though. If we had a few serious incidents with another breed then they could easily be added to the banned list.

Governments tend to use a slowly slowly approach to these things using public outrage whenever possible to legislate against things.
A perfect example is when they banned legal ownership of hand guns when the majority of gun related crime was using illegal hand guns anyway. It was obvious to anybody who stopped to think about it that it was a waste of £millions and would have no effect on gun crime. They did it anyway because of a very high profile shooting incident that allowed them to ban them with public backing.
Old 27-10-2009, 11:03   #10
God Member

aye one person goes nuts with a gun , a minority get rounded up by teh newpapers and all of a sudden its a majority that want all guns banning

same thing over and over again where newspapers create a bandwaggon and theres never a shortage of passangers

meanwhile the real dangerous people still have access to guns and are not registered keepers so no one knows who has what anymore

as for dogs they should bring back the dog licence and have to have chips with the owners details implanted so if an unchipped dog is found it is taken away and either re-homed or destroyed infact this shoulda lso be done for cats as well ( and possibly teenagers )

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 27-10-2009 at 11:06.
Old 27-10-2009, 11:54   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
as for dogs they should bring back the dog licence and have to have chips with the owners details implanted so if an unchipped dog is found it is taken away and either re-homed or destroyed infact this shoulda lso be done for cats as well ( and possibly teenagers )
I have said this before on here but all of a sudden people think their dogs are not worth £50 a year for a licence. With £50 a year we could pay for more dog wardens and control the problem better.

Un chipped dogs could then be taken away and the owner given 14 days to pay for the licence, chipping and fine or else the dog would be put down.

I also suggested that the dogs DNS should be kept on record so poo piles could be tested and owners fined. All paid for by the dog owner of course.
Old 27-10-2009, 12:08   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

I also suggested that the dogs DNS should be kept on record so poo piles could be tested and owners fined. All paid for by the dog owner of course.
if you meant DNA that would be a good idea becaus eyou could also send off suspect dona kebabs and inform the owner of how tasty their pet was

Old 27-10-2009, 12:26   #13

[QUOTE=Neil;757039
Un chipped dogs could then be taken away and the owner given 14 days to pay for the licence, chipping and fine or else the dog would be put down.

I also suggested that the dogs DNS should be kept on record so poo piles could be tested and owners fined. All paid for by the dog owner of course.[/QUOTE]

You know that is a FAB idea! You see, we are paying for these people at Whitehall and yet within a few short hours we have found the perfect solution to filthy, 'medieval-style dirty' roads, and it only took a handful of people!

As has been pointed out, it is the usual case of the few ruining it for the many. Most dog-owners are responsible and give half a thought to the environment they and their children live in. But the few who throw their dogs out to foul are more than likely the same few who also throw the kids out to run wild.
It's a depressing scenario.... Made worse when you know the government will not do anything of the sort and dog mess is just regarded as an occupational hazard if you have to walk down a street!

OH... and maybe it's better for some down Steiner St area, but the ginger chap who moved in opposite to me with his moth-eaten, flea-ridden mongrels has turned this area into a pet toilet!
Galloping Hairpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 13:04   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloping Hairpin View Post
You know that is a FAB idea! You see, we are paying for these people at Whitehall and yet within a few short hours we have found the perfect solution to filthy, 'medieval-style dirty' roads, and it only took a handful of people!

As has been pointed out, it is the usual case of the few ruining it for the many. Most dog-owners are responsible and give half a thought to the environment they and their children live in. But the few who throw their dogs out to foul are more than likely the same few who also throw the kids out to run wild.
It's a depressing scenario.... Made worse when you know the government will not do anything of the sort and dog mess is just regarded as an occupational hazard if you have to walk down a street!

OH... and maybe it's better for some down Steiner St area, but the ginger chap who moved in opposite to me with his moth-eaten, flea-ridden mongrels has turned this area into a pet toilet!
The Dna dog poo 'idea' is already in operation in Israel.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7619179.stm
At the end of your post you indicate that you have identified an offender.
All you need is a few action shots of the offences and the environmental health people will have something to act on.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 20:00   #15
Senior Member+

when I take mine down the canal in clayton where there are new poo bins up I still find myself picking up other dog poos if there is one near where my dogs have done their business...I cant get my head round folk who let their dogs poo next to the poo bin and walk off leaving it...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..