Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 14:59   #16

Smile Re: Don't blame the kids if they can't spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Don't believe spell check would have been any use to the writer of original news item , spell check is a useful tool only if one is literate and has recieved the basic rudimentary education in the English language which in this case is obviously missing .
Re. the original article .......interesting that the story had no byline or comments tag , could it be that the Telegraph is now employing school kids as unpaid interns/journalists during the summer holidays as a "work experience" project.
"oops, steeljack, "i before e except after c" LOL
shell220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2009, 15:48   #17
Resting in Peace

Re: Don't blame the kids if they can't spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell220 View Post
"oops, steeljack, "i before e except after c" LOL
That doesn't always apply, in fact its now been or is to be discarded by teachers
Old 13-08-2009, 16:05   #18

oh well, must be showing my age!!!!!!
shell220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 16:53   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I am appalled every day, when reading the national papers, at the paucity of grammar. The spelling isn't usually too bad (though not good) but the grammar, the use of punctuation and the syntax, is dreadful.

There was a time when reporters had to have, at the very least, English O Level. God alone knows what qualifications are required now, probably the ability to write their own name.
Have you considered that this sort of thing may represent an evolutionary change in English? It seems to me that English is in a constant state of flux, more, perhaps, than any other language. English is an international language, no longer the property of the English. As such, it is more easily "infected" by global changes in technology (the upsurge in texting is a major example of this), and by the entertainment media, primarily that of the US. When you are critical of spelling, syntax, and grammar, perhaps you are merely voicing a concern that they no longer conform to "standards" which are becoming out of date. I do believe that "standards" in English are more fluid than solid.

Having said that, it still pees me off to read some of the crappy language structures used by the media. An aside: saw a sign on a store just the other day: "Choose from one of our many flavors of ice cream." I know what it means; but ...... . And in my local corner store: "You must be 18 to buy cigarettes." Or, at Ultramar Gas Stations: "Every Thursday Premium Gas at -3 cents A Litre."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 17:40   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
English is an international language, no longer the property of the English. As such, it is more easily "infected" by global changes in technology (the upsurge in texting is a major example of this), and by the entertainment media, primarily that of the US.
A depressing situation if ever there was one! Most of the text messages, facebook posts and MySpace comments I receive resemble more the language of cavemen than the Queen's English. The vibrant flow of well constructed literature seems to be constantly under threat from this beeping proto-language. The jettison of vowels from the standard text message is just wrong, even if it does save pennies. Eric makes a good point though; it's the impact of the next generation's culture that keeps language alive, however brutal its cull seems to be.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 19:13   #21
God Member

Quote:
(So that certain shop in Accy who are looking for sales staff check the notice you have put up!!)

Still up and still mistakes on it
Old 13-08-2009, 20:43   #22

Quote:
(So that certain shop in Accy who are looking for sales staff check the notice you have put up!!)
Sorry to change the subject slightly, but which shop is that. 18 year old daughter has left collage and is struggling to find a job. (excuse the spelling please)

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 21:02   #23
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Have you considered that this sort of thing may represent an evolutionary change in English? It seems to me that English is in a constant state of flux, more, perhaps, than any other language. English is an international language, no longer the property of the English. As such, it is more easily "infected" by global changes in technology (the upsurge in texting is a major example of this), and by the entertainment media, primarily that of the US. When you are critical of spelling, syntax, and grammar, perhaps you are merely voicing a concern that they no longer conform to "standards" which are becoming out of date. I do believe that "standards" in English are more fluid than solid.

I can appreciate your argument, Eric, but there are many instances where, for example, the incorrect use or the absence of a comma alters the whole meaning of a sentence. I mean in the style of the classic, "He opened the door in his pyjamas." I believe language does evolve but I believe it should be intelligible while it's evolving.
Old 14-08-2009, 05:57   #24
God Member

Quote:
I can appreciate your argument, Eric, but there are many instances where, for example, the incorrect use or the absence of a comma alters the whole meaning of a sentence. I mean in the style of the classic, "He opened the door in his pyjamas." I believe language does evolve but I believe it should be intelligible while it's evolving.
Punctuation is not all that important. The example you chose is so obviously a joke with mildly salacious undertones, that it illustrates little, other than that humans have a sense of humour. Most readers, if left alone, will punctuate naturally. Many authors have exhibited an almost complete disregard for punctuation. Dickens, for example, left punctuation, to his editor and his publisher. He was determined that the substantives were left untouched; but didn't give a damn about the accidentals. And language, I believe, is always intelligible among the members of a linguistic community; although outside that community it may cause some confusion. There is, though, a sort of "standard" English which is intelligible for all English speakers, whether they come from Accrington or Come By Chance, Newfoundland. But concentrating too much on standards, ignores the richness and diversity of English as it has evolved. And however we feel about the process, English will continue to evolve in spite of any and every effort to standardize it.
Old 14-08-2009, 07:49   #25
God Member

The bit I find amusing is the constant blame on text speak. It was 'invented ' due to the rise in SMS messaging and the time it took to type out words in full. With the advent of predictive text and now more so QWERTY keyboards on phones there is no reason to use it still. Lets be honest which reads better 'L8r' or 'later' ?

Spell checkers are not infallible, if a word is correct but not the correct word for that context then it will 'pass' any check.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 08:57   #26
Junior Member+

Its not just the media. I work for a computer firm and some of the specifications have appalling spelling and grammer. The worst thing is that people don't seem to care about the poorimmpression it gives
Posted via Mobile Device
Gobbiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 09:11   #27
God Member

I just love all these winges that have spelling and grammatical errors all over them

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 16:00   #28
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Punctuation is not all that important. The example you chose is so obviously a joke with mildly salacious undertones, that it illustrates little, other than that humans have a sense of humour. Most readers, if left alone, will punctuate naturally. Many authors have exhibited an almost complete disregard for punctuation. Dickens, for example, left punctuation, to his editor and his publisher. He was determined that the substantives were left untouched; but didn't give a damn about the accidentals. And language, I believe, is always intelligible among the members of a linguistic community; although outside that community it may cause some confusion. There is, though, a sort of "standard" English which is intelligible for all English speakers, whether they come from Accrington or Come By Chance, Newfoundland. But concentrating too much on standards, ignores the richness and diversity of English as it has evolved. And however we feel about the process, English will continue to evolve in spite of any and every effort to standardize it.

I didn't mean to select a mildly salacious joke, I just couldn't think of anything else off-hand.
Old 14-08-2009, 16:13   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Sorry to change the subject slightly, but which shop is that. 18 year old daughter has left collage and is struggling to find a job. (excuse the spelling please)
I think it is the shop on Peel Street that does the printing on t-shirts and suchlike. Used to have the first stall next to cigarette kiosk on the market but have moved into the shop now. It is on the left going towards the toilets
Old 14-08-2009, 16:42   #30
God Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to select a mildly salacious joke, I just couldn't think of anything else off-hand.
Actually found the joke funny .... the only one that I can remember is one in Latin, think it was some kinda (sorry about that, it's Canadian) oracular prediction give to king something-or-other: translates as "you will go you will return never in war will you perish" ... not as much fun as yours .... If you have time on your hands, I recommend "The Story of English": Robert McCrum, William Cran, and Robert MacNeil ... think you will enjoy it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..