Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 17:12   #181
Senior Member+

Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
For me, the priority of education is good teaching and producing 'well rounded young people', whatever that disgusting cleché means. Teachers should make clear the value of punctuality when in the classroom. Teaching time should not be wasted running around town after truants (especially when teaching standards are poor anyway), nor should they rely on members of the community to act as truant officers. If a pupil is late then give them a detention, if consistently late or absent then ring home and inform parents and ask what's going on. Running around on a man hunt is not good use of a teacher's time and more of a robbery of taxes in my mind, katex.
Who said that the teacher was 'running round on a manhunt' to paraphrase your post? The teacher may have been on a 'free period', popped into the shop for a butty and saw the kids there.

As for your statement that teachers shouldn't be chasing down truants, then I'd agree with you, but unfortunately we have to live in the real world where teachers are held to be accountable for punctuality and attendance.
Teachers are judged by a number of criteria, results being one of them of course. However, the new measure is called 'success rates', which take into account results, retention, recruitment and a number of other factors. Attendance is now a factor that teachers are called to account for and is yet another responsibility burdened on teachers.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:13   #182
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Fact.

We know the pupils should have been in school at that time.

We do not know if the teacher should have been in school.

Fact.
Even if the teacher wasn't on timetable, they would have had something better to do rather than going to the butty shop to hunt down truants. Such as marking homework or preparing a lesson. Fact.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 17:15   #183
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just to go a little off-thread myself. Just been up to our local Co-op. Was in the long queue. Lady came in to report a lad chucking oranges around.

The lad came in .. started to walk out with the orange. Naturally, one of the assistants asked if he had paid for it. Lad replies .. "found on the floor" Was sternly asked to put it back please !

This was a telling off in public. She then went on to say to him "Will tell yer Dad about this!". Know this lady, and she will !

Point is ? This shop is part of the community and felt the right to tell him off in front of other people. Know you will dissect this little anecdote, but that is how most local shopkeepers are.

Ok .. a thief, but kids who take unauthorised time off from school are thieving us as tax payers.
Yes it was but it was a telling off by a person working in the shop who would have the authority to ask if an item had been paid for and not an outsider rushing in.

So if you were trying to draw a parallel then it hasn’t worked.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:16   #184
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Even if the teacher wasn't on timetable, they would have had something better to do rather than going to the butty shop to hunt down truants. Such as marking homework or preparing a lesson. Fact.
No, it's a supposition, or at a push an opinion.

1/10.

Must try harder.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 17:17   #185
Senior Member+

Quote:
That's not a fact, that's speculation.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:18   #186
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Would the same people also think a teacher was wrong for rebuking absent pupils if they were sat in a pub, having a pint and eating a pork pie, when they were supposed to be in school?
Yet another facetious remark from a self proclaimed wit, with a “t” at the beginning.

If they were in school uniform they would hardly have been allowed in a pub let alone drinking and eating.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:18   #187
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Yes it was but it was a telling off by a person working in the shop who would have the authority to ask if an item had been paid for and not an outsider rushing in.

So if you were trying to draw a parallel then it hasn’t worked.
Respect your remarks Jambutty (Shakermaker please note) . I feel 'tis a decent parallel .. wasn't really talking about the crime .. just that as a local shopkeeper, she feels the need to get personally involved and care enough to talk to his Dad. This butty shop lady only felt the need to tell the press.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 17:21   #188
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Yet another facetious remark from a self proclaimed wit, with a “t” at the beginning.

If they were in school uniform they would hardly have been allowed in a pub let alone drinking and eating.
Your naivety is almost amusing.

You've obviously not seen the current uniform of this school.

Old 05-07-2008, 17:22   #189
God Member

Quote:
No, it's a supposition, or at a push an opinion.

1/10.

Must try harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
That's not a fact, that's speculation.
I maintain that it is a fact. I don't believe a teacher would ever have nothing better to do than to search the local butty shop for truants.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:24   #190
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I maintain that it is a fact. I don't believe a teacher would ever have nothing better to do than to search the local butty shop for truants.
'Believe' can't be construed as fact.

Fact.

The fact is we don't know why the teacher was in the shop.

Old 05-07-2008, 17:27   #191
God Member

It's getting a bit intense this.

We don't know why the teacher was in the shop, but that to me is irrelevant, as she shouldn't have been there in the first place due to the face that she'd have had better things to do.

Last edited by shakermaker; 05-07-2008 at 17:29.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:29   #192
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey
The guy's a first class knob and he proves it time and again. Pure and simple.
That's a fact.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 17:30   #193
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's getting a bit intense this.

I've got it, Colonel Mustard in the library with a wrench

Perhaps the Debating Society isn't for you.

There's Country Dancing in the gym, after school on Thurdsay.

Old 05-07-2008, 17:33   #194
Senior Member+

How long have you been an expert on the teaching profession Shaker? Are you an aspiring Ofsted inspector? Actually, your lack of knowledge of teaching would probably qualify you for such a role.

Teachers are held accountable for punctuality and attendance, so she was actually doing her job by telling those children to get to school. Unfortunately, what goes on inside the classroom is only a part of the job description for a modern teacher.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:38   #195
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Perhaps he's read what's been said by the Headmaster in the newspaper, and then decided to post his opinion.
Absolutely priceless at what some lengths people will go to.

jaysay posted, “Ain't this an example of shoddy journalism by the Observer, only getting one side of the story, maybe the school band the teacher from talking to the press but the story was very unbalanced, and seemingly instigated by the shop owner, hope it has the reverse effect she was hoping far” at 10:28 this morning.

You posted the link to the Observer in your post timed at 17:29

So unless jaysay was a psychic jaysay couldn’t possibly have posted an opinion after reading the paper.

To save you the trouble of coming back with, “jaysay could have got the paper to read before you posted the link” I agree jaysay could have.

But if jaysay did then it was a major omission not to include the school head’s comments and then burble on about one sided reporting.

Anything else you want to challenge before I watch Dr Who?

No?

Good. Then I'm off.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..