Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 17:39   #196
Resting in Peace

Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Lol Shakermaker .. love a sense of humour, can break an argument any day.(can't put the quote up . you must have edited)

Opened this thread, would love to have the power to lock it, as I think everyone has had their say now.

Go on, before anyone else says it .. will we see this Shopkeeper the subject of My Life profile next week ? .. would love to put in some answers for her .. but daren't. Go on .. just one .. tune on mobile 'Teacher's Pet'
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2008, 17:42   #197
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Go on, before anyone else says it .. will we see this Shopkeeper the subject of My Life profile next week ? .. would love to put in some answers for her .. but daren't. Go on .. just one .. tune on mobile 'Teacher's Pet'
Will there be room for two in the lift?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 17:43   #198
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
How long have you been an expert on the teaching profession Shaker? Are you an aspiring Ofsted inspector? Actually, your lack of knowledge of teaching would probably qualify you for such a role.

I don't claim to be an expert on teaching, but being told by teachers throughout my education to 'find something better to do' when having finished work or having spare time or whatever... leads to the presumption that teachers would work by the same vein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Teachers are held accountable for punctuality and attendance, so she was actually doing her job by telling those children to get to school. Unfortunately, what goes on inside the classroom is only a part of the job description for a modern teacher.
I accept that teachers are held accountable for attendance, but surely giving the pupils a detention (whenever they turn up) or phoning home after school would be more suitable. It seems fundamentally wrong for a teacher to act in the way that has been reported.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 17:47   #199
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Absolutely priceless at what some lengths people will go to.

jaysay posted, “Ain't this an example of shoddy journalism by the Observer, only getting one side of the story, maybe the school band the teacher from talking to the press but the story was very unbalanced, and seemingly instigated by the shop owner, hope it has the reverse effect she was hoping far” at 10:28 this morning.

You posted the link to the Observer in your post timed at 17:29

So unless jaysay was a psychic jaysay couldn’t possibly have posted an opinion after reading the paper.

To save you the trouble of coming back with, “jaysay could have got the paper to read before you posted the link” I agree jaysay could have.

But if jaysay did then it was a major omission not to include the school head’s comments and then burble on about one sided reporting.

Anything else you want to challenge before I watch Dr Who?

No?

Good. Then I'm off.
What the headmaster reportedly said has been in the public arena since Thursday, when the story was first published.

Not rocket science.

Not even remedial science.

For your science homework this week I want you to make a Tardis out of a cereal packet.

I know imagination isn't your strongest attribute, but just try your best.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 17:50   #200
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I accept that teachers are held accountable for attendance, but surely giving the pupils a detention (whenever they turn up) or phoning home after school would be more suitable. It seems fundamentally wrong for a teacher to act in the way that has been reported.
I'd be very surprised if the teacher hadn't already used both of those techniques in the past. I don't know Rhyddings at all, so I can't comment on their system. However, I know of schools where they employ 'administrators' to chase absent pupils and so relieve teachers of that duty. By the same token I know of institutions where the teachers are expected to deal with absences themselves, via telephone calls home and other such approaches.

I do agree with you that this time could be spent doing things which are more productive in an educational sense, but the climate at the moment dictates that teachers are held responsible for an ever increasing range of duties.
Old 05-07-2008, 18:56   #201
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

My Daughter goes to Rhyddings, and if ya dont ring up if they are absent , then expect a phone call!

They even do a register for each lesson too, so no-one can whack it anymore.
Old 05-07-2008, 19:39   #202
Resident Waffler

Someone keeps insisting that it isn't the teacher's responsibility to round up stray pupils who should be in school - but it is.

As for lesson preparation, that should be done well in advance; and marking can be, and often is, done outside of school hours so those are not things the teacher should necessarily have been doing instead.

Which brings me to the ludicrous statement that the teacher had no right to be in the butty shop. Pardon me? The teacher had every right to enter a shop. It's a shop. You know one of those places that members of the public open the door of and enter and believe it or not teachers are members of the public.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 22:55   #203

And yet when ppl conplain that the teachers are too soft on the pupils they make it clear.. I think the teacher did right in giving them a good telling off!!!
And as for the kids going to a shop for their breakfast.. what ever happened to eating toast at home or cereal.
AccyAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 23:16   #204
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

to me those who think the teacher was in the wrong are partly to blame for the way things are today, you probably won't like me saying that, but its what i think, so tough.
Old 05-07-2008, 23:21   #205
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyAlec View Post
And yet when ppl conplain that the teachers are too soft on the pupils they make it clear.. I think the teacher did right in giving them a good telling off!!!
And as for the kids going to a shop for their breakfast.. what ever happened to eating toast at home or cereal.
At last a young un that talks sense
Old 06-07-2008, 00:00   #206

A little squiffy to the topic I know, but I wonder how the teacher would have faired had they met with some sort of accident whilst going to the shop to collar the kids. Would any work related insurance cover any mishaps the teacher may have suffered beyond the school gate and clearly off the premises .
Old 06-07-2008, 00:04   #207
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
A little squiffy to the topic I know, but I wonder how the teacher would have faired had they met with some sort of accident whilst going to the shop to collar the kids. Would any work related insurance cover any mishaps the teacher may have suffered beyond the school gate and clearly off the premises .
more to the point what if the "Brats" had, they would probably sue the school fer not lookin after em proper.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:21   #208
God Member

I'm on the side of the teacher also...and as a parent, I would shake her hand if it was one of my kids!!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:44   #209
God Member

I used to wind up my teachers a fair bit, but my lessons were boring and unmotivating. At Uni my personal tutor says it's likely due to the fact that it was a bad school that wasn't interested in students' individual needs, just making sure the majority of people passed their GCSE's. Luckily I have quite a feisty attitude to being told I am incapable of doing something and proving people wrong, otherwise I might not be at university today.

To be fair, most of the local schools are rubbish and I reckon the kids might as well be turning up five minutes late with full stomachs than turning up hungry, or not turning up at all. In my opinion the teacher had no right to be telling anyone to be in school when they were in the exact same place at the exact same time too. Thought teachers were meant to be early starters? I've never known a teacher not be at school at 10 to 9 :/
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:59   #210
God Member

Most of the local schools have improved damatically in the OFSTED ratings and what on earth compels you to think that it is a pupils right as to when they turn up for school?? The rules are there for a reason and if every pupil decided to just ignore them what a mess we would be in. Fortunately MOST pupils follow the school rules it just seems that a few think they are over and above following rules on punctuality. How will they get on at Uni or god forbid in the workplace??? Having said that their school records will go against them and they will be lucky to find a job or a place at Uni!!!!

Last edited by BERNADETTE; 06-07-2008 at 02:04.
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..