Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 19:48   #436

Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

[quote=blazey;604113]

When a student isn't in school, even if they should be in school or not, a teacher should not have any right to approach a child and harass them. How is the general public meant to ascertain whether that adult hassling the child is indeed their teacher? It puts the shopkeeper in an awkward position.

Imagine if it had been someone like Ian Huntley entering the sandwich shop, and being a trustworthy figure to the child, the child left willingly with him to school, only to be driven away in a car to a remote place to be beaten, raped and murdered? How would that shop keeper feel if they KNEW they had just watched someone enter the shop, approach the child and not said a word?

quote]

Surely this just re-inforces the need for children to be where they are meant to be??????

And with the greatest if respect, who do you think would be the first people that the shop keeper would ring if these children had been misbahving. The school of course. Therefore, the owner should back the school 100%
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2008, 19:49   #437
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
wouldn't stick in my craw, i agree wi ya sometimes, sometimes i don't, i have been known to be wrong before n probably again, i honestly think though that you never think yer wrong.
I think in this case I'ts up your nose or on your bloody nerves.
I still think the teacher was right and still await the response from the Headmaster if anyone has the balls to ring him...cost too much from Spain.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 20:08   #438
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Now there’s a statement I never expected to read, or in view of the content of this thread maybe I should have.

Suggesting that someone should be thrown off the debating team because of their views on the subject.

That if anything confirms that if some people do not conform to the majority view, then they shouldn’t make them.

Interesting! Very, very interesting!
Keep promising myself, would not come back on this thread, unfortunately I am weak

Sightly out of context Jambutty . (and you know it ) Not against Blazey disagreeing at all .. or you. Just the etiquette of debate (and yes, still regard this as a debate) ... did object to her calling us with opposing views 'the rabble' that was all, not cricket, old boy.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 20:14   #439
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
wouldn't stick in my craw, i agree wi ya sometimes, sometimes i don't, i have been known to be wrong before n probably again, i honestly think though that you never think yer wrong.
Could that be because I don’t stick my oar into every topic?

Only those that I know what I’m talking about.
Old 10-07-2008, 20:24   #440
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Surely this just re-inforces the need for children to be where they are meant to be??????

And with the greatest if respect, who do you think would be the first people that the shop keeper would ring if these children had been misbahving. The school of course. Therefore, the owner should back the school 100%
No one is arguing whether a child should be in school or not. We all agree that children of school age should be in school during school hours. But that isn’t the issue.

However it is comforting to know that you KNOW what the shopkeeper would do if school children misbehaved in her shop.
Old 10-07-2008, 20:31   #441
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Keep promising myself, would not come back on this thread, unfortunately I am weak

Sightly out of context Jambutty . (and you know it ) Not against Blazey disagreeing at all .. or you. Just the etiquette of debate (and yes, still regard this as a debate) ... did object to her calling us with opposing views 'the rabble' that was all, not cricket, old boy.
Hmmm! Thrown out of a debate for name calling. Interesting point.

Maybe it should be applied rigorously in this forum?
Old 10-07-2008, 21:36   #442
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hmmm! Thrown out of a debate for name calling. Interesting point.

Maybe it should be applied rigorously in this forum?
Just my perimeters Jambutty that's all, and just my own personal standards for discussion, not responsible for the rest of the forum.

Just a comment on 'respect' for other members, which is one of the main keywords here ... LOL.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 21:40   #443
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

oh i stick my oar in many of the threads, its called having n opinion. but then i never pretend to know everything i comment on. its just n opinion. thought thats what a forum was, but i'm sure you will correct me.
Old 10-07-2008, 22:15   #444
Resident Waffler

I wonder what the reaction would be, of those objecting to the teacher's actions, if the children were disappearing out of school after registration and disappearing off into the town for the rest of the day. Would the teacher then have any right to go looking for them? What if a child who should have been in school had an accident whilst absconding and was seriously injured or killed? Would there be complaints against the school for not having chased up where they had disappeared to?

I spent today teaching a group of year 8 children about Native American culture and I am glad I don't do it on a full time basis. Some of the children who should have been there were not there and the teacher sent TAs off to look for them - how far should they have looked? Should they even have looked at all? Should teachers even bother taking a register? Should school attendance be optional?

If we became so lax in attitude those children would get an awful shock when entering the workplace.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 00:29   #445
Loz

Quote:

It's a forum for discussions and debates,you don't stick your oar into topics you express your opinions.
And i don't always know what i'm talking about but i have my own opinions on subjects and like to express my views and see others.
Old 11-07-2008, 00:39   #446
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I wonder what the reaction would be, of those objecting to the teacher's actions, if the children were disappearing out of school after registration and disappearing off into the town for the rest of the day. Would the teacher then have any right to go looking for them? What if a child who should have been in school had an accident whilst absconding and was seriously injured or killed? Would there be complaints against the school for not having chased up where they had disappeared to?

I spent today teaching a group of year 8 children about Native American culture and I am glad I don't do it on a full time basis. Some of the children who should have been there were not there and the teacher sent TAs off to look for them - how far should they have looked? Should they even have looked at all? Should teachers even bother taking a register? Should school attendance be optional?

If we became so lax in attitude those children would get an awful shock when entering the workplace.
Native American culture, eh. That's an interest of mine.

And the question of loco parentis is a complex one ... When minors are on the way to school, who is the responsible guardian, the parents or the teacher? Or are they in some kinda "parentis" limbo
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 00:47   #447
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Did the teacher have permission to be outside the school during school hours? Was she there to buy staff breakfasts? I’ve posed this question before but no one seems to have been interested in making a comment.
Why don't you phone the school and ask the head teacher that question?
Old 11-07-2008, 00:50   #448
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why don't you phone the school and ask the head teacher that question?
That would be too easy and stop him from trying to prove everybody wrong!
Maybe hes afraid to do so in case he doesn't like the answer!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:28   #449
Resident Waffler

I should have asked when I was there yesterday!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:02   #450
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
It's not the pupil's fault that the education system in this country is failing them completely
Would it not be failing them even more if it failed to round them up out of butty shops and shepherd them into school where they should be?
Which pupil are you blaming? Oh I see, you spent so much time in butty shops, causing the education system to fail you, that you don't know how to use an apostrophe.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 11-07-2008 at 09:06.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..