Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 09:12   #451
God Member

Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Would it not be failing them even more if it failed to round them up out of butty shops and shepherd them into school where they should be?
Which pupil are you blaming? Oh I see, you spent so much time in butty shops, causing the education system to fail you, that you don't know how to use an apostrophe.
Shakermaker has done pretty well for himself and certainly isn't a failure! How can you imply someone is a failure just for using an apostrophe wrong, for all you know it could have been an innocent typing error or something!

Who hasn't ever missed a day or work or been late before? Children aren't perfect, if they were they wouldn't learn anything. I'm working on a summer school at the moment and I'm not allowed to make sure the girls get up and get to registration on time, it's their own responsibility. If they are late then once they get there they suffer the consequences, and not a minute sooner.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2008, 09:25   #452
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I'm working on a summer school at the moment and I'm not allowed to make sure the girls get up and get to registration on time, it's their own responsibility. If they are late then once they get there they suffer the consequences, and not a minute sooner.
Are you a teacher ?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:56   #453
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Are you a teacher ?
We don't use the term teacher on summer schools as a lot of the students have behaviour problems and don't tend to respect 'teachers', but in a sense I am more of a 'teaching assistant'. I am on the night shift at the moment so I'm responsible for their night activities at the moment so it is a bit more like brownies or girl guides, but in a few days I'm more a an assistant as I am working in the classroom.

Regardless of whether I am by job title or not, I have to follow the same child protection policy and those are the rules. If I don't follow the rules I should expect to be investigated. So I think I'll stick to them as I quite like this job!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:58   #454
God Member

bloody hell how did you manage to secure your CRB so damn quick?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:06   #455
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
bloody hell how did you manage to secure your CRB so damn quick?
Sent it off weeks ago. Why do you ask? CRB's take between 3 weeks to 6 months dependant on lots of different factors. Can't remember how long ago I applied for mine... it only took a few weeks to come back though.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:08   #456
God Member

thats exactly why i was asking, one of my sisters applied for hers about 3 months ago and it hasnt come back yet, it isnt cheap either
Old 11-07-2008, 10:13   #457
God Member

Quote:
thats exactly why i was asking, one of my sisters applied for hers about 3 months ago and it hasnt come back yet, it isnt cheap either
Got mine paid for me, so I wouldn't know how much it costs. I'm not sure what type of factors slow them down, I think incorrectly filled in forms are the biggest slow down. Thankfully all the student ambassadors got their CRB's back within a similar amount of time and we've all been able to work.

I love it and even though I have girls in my group who has behaviour issues at school, they're following all the rules I have set so I am well pleased. I had them playing charades and 'who am I' last night lol. My team lost charades by 1 point thanks to my bad acting of 'lemony snicket and the series of unfortunate events' or whatever it's called (how do you act out that?!) and I was Nemo from Finding Nemo in who am I. I made them all disney princesses! Very rewarding job.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:21   #458
God Member

[quote=blazey;605175]
, they're following all the rules I have set so I am well pleased.

now doesnt that kind of contradict what you where saying about the school? its ok for kids to follow your rules blazey but they shouldnt be following school rules?

you dont half talk some sh!t at times you know, one rule for you and another for other people?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:25   #459
God Member

Quote:
Would it not be failing them even more if it failed to round them up out of butty shops and shepherd them into school where they should be?
Of course it would. I just don't agree with teachers 'man-hunting' pupils and haranguing them in public, as they have no right to do so.

Quote:
Which pupil are you blaming? Oh I see, you spent so much time in butty shops, causing the education system to fail you, that you don't know how to use an apostrophe.
Simple typo yerself. Of course I meant pupils'.
How's the hawkeye job in rugby league working out?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:25   #460
God Member

[quote=flashytart;605179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
, they're following all the rules I have set so I am well pleased.

now doesnt that kind of contradict what you where saying about the school? its ok for kids to follow your rules blazey but they shouldnt be following school rules?

you dont half talk some sh!t at times you know, one rule for you and another for other people?
I told you, I have to follow my own rules and it is nice that the girls follow mine but they certainly didn't have to go to bed earlier than I said, nor did they have to get up on time this morning if they didn't want to. I just told them that if they didn't then there would be consequences. It's all about balances. You are fair with them and give them a bit of room to make decisions, take responsibility and try and understand their way of thinking, they tend to respect your rules more. It's not my problem if the teachers at rhyddings have no respect from their students, or any other school for that matter.

This course is free for them. They get rewarded every evening for following the rules and behaving during the day. They're given 'chances' but if they keep breaking rules they get sent home. They know that, and they like the rewards, so they do what they're asked of.

Did I not say that about the school rules too?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:32   #461
God Member

blazey you are either for rules or against them, if rules are in place then you and everyone else should stick by them, you want your girls to stick by them then so should the school children dont you think?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:39   #462
God Member

Quote:
blazey you are either for rules or against them, if rules are in place then you and everyone else should stick by them, you want your girls to stick by them then so should the school children dont you think?
I want them too, but I can't make decisions for them. Part of growing up is learning to make your own decisions in life.

Even if they didn't follow the rules, they're all bright girls and they've been working hard. If you have read my blog post about them you will see that they even asked about uni just before bed and stayed chatting to me about that instead of chatting before bed, and I think it's nice that these girls have come willingly on this course during the holidays and are playing by my rules.

Why can I get respect off them but their teachers cant? I'M obviously not the one who has the wrong idea am I? Otherwise I'd have had to stay up all night making sure they didn't go out for cigarettes or going to the lads' blocks and the likes.

I didn't have to enforce my rules, I simply told them that there were consequences if they broke them, and said I play fair if they play fair, that's all I had to tell them.

There are some girls from Rhyddings on this course and I was told they went to bed on time too with no problems. If 19 - 25yr olds (respectively) can get respect out of these 14/15 yr olds, I don't see why a teacher cant. Something makes me think they just aren't trying to understand their students' individual needs and are too busy trying to churn out GCSE's, and it simply doesn't work that way unfortunately.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:43   #463
God Member

but blazey you are a law student are you not? doesnt LAW mean RULES? i'm not trying to get at you, i'm just trying to prove a point, where does the LAW stand on kids not being in school on time? it is ILLEGAL end of...and you cant deny the teacher was right to do what she did, i would expect a teacher to do that with Reece if he ever did anything like that
Old 11-07-2008, 10:48   #464
God Member

Law and rules seem to be there to be broken and teens to it to look macho and anti authoritarian. Yes the teacher was right but its a shame the same vigour is not applied a lunch time when there is more chance of them being late back.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:51   #465
God Member

Flashy, if the teacher laid down the rules correctly at the beginning then the students wouldn't be disrespecting them. They certainly didn't respect her enforcement of the rules did they?

What I am saying is, you can't just be firm when you are lawing down the law, it has to be fair as well, and this goes for any type of law, be it in school, employment or the general law itself. If laws are unfair, we rebel and it leads to revolution.

There comes a time in life when you are expected to make your own decisions. It hasn't hurt me to do so, and I'm putting into practice the lessons I learned from my own rebellion. OK I don't intend on revolutionising the system, because some people do work well by playing strictly by the rules, but some students want flexibility, and lots of those students go on to do just as good things as those who never broke a rule in their life.

The girls in my flat have broken rules at school to some extent, whether its talking in class to being aggressive and disruptive. I have girls from two schools and their norms at schools are different to each others. Here I have laid down one rule, and that is to accept what we ask of them or face consequences. That's all I have said to them. They need to ACHIEVE here, that's all they need to do. They're told what they need to do to achieve that, such as turning up on time in the right place with all their things and listening to the student ambassadors. They're told that if they don't, they will either be asked to leave in the most extreme circumstances or they will simply be letting themselves down and wasting part of their summer.

I am not 14 anymore, I am not saying I still break the rules, though I do break some still. I'd like to think they are decent enough human beings to respect me as their equal and they should expect that back from me. If I couldn't respect them I wouldn't have taken the job.

That's my last word on the matter because I have to go tend to some things, but my methods work for me, and the teacher's methods haven't worked for her, so I think if anyone should be questioning their ways of doing things it's her, not me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..