Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 18:22   #1
Resting in Peace

Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Report in the Observer, re. a group of pupils still eating in a butty shop at 8.50 a.m. .. teacher barges in angrily and demands they get into school immediately as they will be late for school (Rhyddings). Have had problems with lateness recently.

Ok. proprietor says they are customers and have the right of respect as any other customer.

I feel, even though the teacher 'may' have gone over the top, cannot help but applaud her. Years ago, this would have not afforded a story in the local press, and shopkeeper would have backed her up and discussed how she could team up with the school in future.

What were they doing there at this time anyway ? Did their parents not give them a decent breakfast ?

If you were the parent, and caught your child in a cafe, and knowing they would be late for school, not done exactly the same thing and dragged them out by their ear ? .. I know I would.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2008, 18:26   #2
God Member

Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

If kids in Rhyddings uniform started causing problems in the butty shop I wonder if the propreitor would complain to the school about the lack of discipline ?
Old 03-07-2008, 18:29   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
shopkeeper would have backed her up and discussed how she could team up with the school in future.
Judging by the shopkeeper's comments in the 'Observer' she's more interested in the profit she's making out of the kids rather than their education and wellbeing.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 18:39   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Judging by the shopkeeper's comments in the 'Observer' she's more interested in the profit she's making out of the kids rather than their education and wellbeing.
I agree Yerself, don't think this story did any good at all ..the kids will certainly think now that the teacher was in the wrong. Surprised at the Observer giving it any room at all... irresponsible of them in my opinion.

And Lancsdave ... EXACTLY !!
Old 03-07-2008, 18:46   #5
God Member

I wonder how Sam Wignall would have handled it
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 18:52   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just had to google that one Eric .. don't remember him, but .. taken from someone's memoirs :-

'We lived in fear of the shout of "Oi, laddy, cap!" and a clip round the ear from Sam Wignall if we dared to be seen outside school without that school cap on our heads - or inside school if we had inadvertently left it on.'

Accrington Grammar School.
Old 03-07-2008, 19:04   #7
God Member

i agree with what the head said, the kids HAVE to be in school for 8.40am, they shouldnt have been in the shop at that time, i just think that butty shop owner was after a bit of publicity, stupid cow

Reece goes to Rhyddings in September, if i ever found out that he was in that butty shop or anywhere other than school at that time of day when he was supposed to be in school i would go mental
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 19:08   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i agree with what the head said, the kids HAVE to be in school for 8.40am, they shouldnt have been in the shop at that time, i just think that butty shop owner was after a bit of publicity, stupid cow

Reece goes to Rhyddings in September, if i ever found out that he was in that butty shop or anywhere other than school at that time of day when he was supposed to be in school i would go mental
Ya' know Flashy, was actually thinking of Reece starting there in September, and nearly added to my post something like.. ' have images in my mind of Flashy going in there to sort him out if he did that' .. the owner would have found out what an over-zealous intrusion meant ....
Old 03-07-2008, 19:42   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Eric, you KNOW how he'd have handled it. Everyone would've been out of that shop in two minutes flat...and there'd have been late detentions all round!!

I just thank my lucky stars he never caught me having a lunchtime pint in The Globe!
Old 03-07-2008, 19:49   #10

Even if parents did give us food in morning we'd still go shops and stuff and chill out before school, even more amusing when teachers used to shout so we'd make it so we're even more late.
Old 03-07-2008, 19:51   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Swift View Post
Even if parents did give us food in morning we'd still go shops and stuff and chill out before school, even more amusing when teachers used to shout so we'd make it so we're even more late.
what is the point in that??

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 19:52   #12

To wind them up, it was amusing seeing them getting all angry at the time.
Couldn't stand any of the teachers anyway, we had teachers that could hardly speak English for English lessons, IT teachers who needed a hand of students 80% of the time.
Old 03-07-2008, 19:55   #13
Senior Member+

do you noy think teachers jobs arehard enough all ready without you lot purposely winding them up? When i was at school I had respect for my teachers!!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 19:58   #14

Maybe if they showed respect back and didn't sit with their feet up during lessons and started helping students out and getting teachers that actually have knowledge of what they're doing then they'd get respect from me.
Old 03-07-2008, 20:09   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

My admiration goes to those who are obliged to teach idiotic children who think it's amusing to make teachers angry. It's no wonder so many leave school barely literate and no wonder there's so little respect for others in general.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..