Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 20:37   #1
Always EVIL within us

Unhappy Don't Walk and Talk/Listen

I think most people agree that the new laws governing the use of mobile phones whilst driving is right and is a potential life saver HOWEVER, just how far should we go to "save lives?"

Will we ever as a nation, go down the same path as
New York?
Old 07-02-2007, 21:54   #2
God Member

Re: Don't Walk and Talk/Listen

It wouldnt be a bad idea as the number of people who cross without thinking without gadgets is bad enough.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 23:46   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
I think most people agree that the new laws governing the use of mobile phones whilst driving is right and is a potential life saver HOWEVER, just how far should we go to "save lives?"

Will we ever as a nation, go down the same path as
New York?
Whilst most folks agree busman its a pity they don,t bloody ENFORCE EM. Pedestrians also can be a Menace so i aint knocking N.Y.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:56   #4
I am Banned

if motorists havnt to be distracted then why not pedestrians , the amount of idiots dilly dallying in the roads without ipods etc is bad enough

also i would stretch it further to ban cycleists from wearing ipods etc
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:49   #5
Resident Waffler

I totally agree about cyclists, they could miss hearing something vital. I suppose the same could be said for anyone who is profoundly deaf but they would probably be concentrating on what they are doing whereas someone plugged into music is not going to have their full attention on what they are doing.

I'm now waiting for someone to come along and say we should ban radios and CD players in cars.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:53   #6

How will wagon drivers go on using C.B. radios? surley that must be a distraction.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:56   #7
Resident Waffler

The difference there though is that they can hear other things around them as well but people with their earplugs in often can't - I know from trying to speak to my kids when they're listening to the things.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:12   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I think smoking while driving is also hazardous, many a times ive seen people panic when they dropped it on there lap!, rather dangerous dont you think!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47   #9
God Member

I cycle and dont have stuff bunged in mi lugs as it is the easiest way to get snuffed out. The biggest problem with doing anything in a car is thatit is so distracting. Arguing with a spouse or the kids can be as bad as fags and gadgets.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:21   #10
God Member

I'm not sure that banning ipods would make any difference, surely the people using them still know to stop and look even if they cant listen.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:27   #11

There is no law here in Florida regarding drivers using mobile 'phones. The number of people I see on Interstates (Motorways) using them is beyond belief. Last night on my way home there was a driver in the fast lane, doing 5 mph under the limit, no-one in front of him for over a mile, talking on his 'phone. He was going along at the same speed as traffic in the two other lanes with a great buildup of traffic behind. I think hands free devices are good and bluetooth allows you to connect etc. without using your hands. I really think that in-car telephone conversations should be limited to that.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:32   #12
God Member

Dont agree with driving whilst holding a mobile phone, still see it an awful lot though, and dont often see people being done for it.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:24   #13
Resident Waffler

That reminds me - I've lost a dongle.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:35   #14
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

where have you put your dongle??

who on earth called it that in the first place?...lol
Old 08-02-2007, 20:03   #15
God Member

Whats a dongle?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..