Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 16:52   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Downgrade Christmas

I don't care whether or not immigrants into this country are offended by "Christian" festivities, which most of them are not anyway. They came here by choice and if this country's celebrations and practices offend them they should leave by choice. If I migrated to a country of another predominant faith I would not expect that country's citizens to abandon their feast days in case they offended me.

The point is, more often than not, it's Government agencies and the like who come up with these ideas. They are fostering tension and resentment in their ridiculous attempts to seem anti-racist/religionist. This is Britain and we are, at least nominally, a Christian country. Those who share our land must be encouraged to accept our traditions as we are encouraged, and often happy, to accept theirs. If this Government doesn't recognise that, it's time to replace it with one that does.
Accrington Web
Old 01-11-2007, 17:53   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
.......................... NO i'm not going to say what I was gonna say, this is a family forum after all
say it but leave out the swear words... and don't mention shhhhhhh you know what .......... ho ho ho Merry Christmas , let it snow , let it snow let it snowwwwwwwwww
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 17:55   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
say it but leave out the swear words... and don't mention shhhhhhh you know what .......... ho ho ho Merry Christmas , let it snow , let it snow let it snowwwwwwwwww

If I can't swear, and I can't say " you know what " I'll go back to plan A and keep mi gob shut

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 17:59   #19
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

well all I can say is if they dont like it, then ****** off back where ya came from
Old 01-11-2007, 18:08   #20
Give, give, give member

We are culturally and historically a Christian country.

If people that come here have a problem with that, they are more than welcome to ****** off somewhere else.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 18:13   #21
Give, give, give member

It's as stupid an idea as the Brits who go to live in Spain trying them to stop their festivals, that include carrying the Virgin Mary through the streets and letting off fireworks.

A visitor trying to change the cultural customs of a Muslim country, say having alcohol Saudi Arabia, will find themselves in jail, and could be faced with the death penalty.

Old 01-11-2007, 18:15   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's as stupid an idea as the Brits who go to live in Spain trying them to stop their festivals, that include carrying the Virgin Mary through the streets and letting off fireworks.

A visitor trying to change the cultural customs of a Muslim country, say having alcohol Saudi Arabia, will find themselves in jail, and could be faced with the death penalty.
You mean if we Brits go to live in another country we have to live by their rules ? What a stupid system
Old 01-11-2007, 18:17   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
..oh god..
You called? Mind if I put you on hold
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 18:24   #24
God Member

I remember that there was a lot of this bs in North America last year ... some were saying it was better to wish someone a neutral "Happy Hollidays" rather than "Merry Christmas." I don't remember it's achieving anything other than acting as fodder for stand-up comedians. Joyeux noel, eh, and bring on the Christmas hockey schedule.
Old 01-11-2007, 18:28   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
The point is, more often than not, it's Government agencies and the like who come up with these ideas. They are fostering tension and resentment in their ridiculous attempts to seem anti-racist/religionist.
I agree. It's the meddling do-gooders who are creating tension. Many non-racist, ordinary people, are being driven insane by officaldom's interference. It's divise and patronising. I'm sure most non-Christians don't have the slightest problem with Christmas, just as many people don't have a problem with non-Christian holidays being celebrated here.

I was just going to complain about HBC's website, and offical forms, being in languages other than English, but having just checked, they've changed it.

Hurrah! About bloody time.

Old 01-11-2007, 19:04   #26
God Member

I understand that a large majority of people in England do not consider themselves Christian, or at least not practising Christians. So, if atheists and agnostics can live with "merry Christmans (or Xmas if one prefers)" others should be able to adjust. Perhaps certain groups have "agendas" which run counter to "peace on Earth", and a vested interest in chaos and terror.
Old 01-11-2007, 19:17   #27
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

we Have 2 asian families live nearby and they never miss sending us a Christmas card and wishing us Merry Christmas.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 19:20   #28

Yes i agree with westender they should obay our rule,s like we would do if we was in there place.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 19:27   #29

I think the vast majority of us, regardless of ethnicity, have a live and let live approach to life. Seems that some jobsworths feel the need to justify why they are on a particular payroll and so attempt to create a perception of discord and alienation where there is no such thing.
Old 01-11-2007, 19:29   #30
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Downgrade Christmas

I also heard or read today that some clown is proposing that all religious festivals for all religions be given the same status a Christmas.

I wouldn’t as polite as you Margaret Pilkington. This is our country and it is a Christian country so if anyone doesn’t like Christmas and Easter celebrations then push off to a country that doesn’t have them.

I’m neutral about trimming up at work but can anyone remember a problem in days gone by. Even busses and trams were trimmed up.

Does this also mean that hospital wards will not be trimmed up?

Can you imagine a children’s ward without a tree and trimmings? The doctor’s and nurses wearing a bit of tinsel around the neck and Santa hats.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..