Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 19:25   #31
God Member

Re: Drain cover

i cant recall the company name but i was told recently that someone had gone into a yard and stripped an entire fleet of vans of their catalytic converters

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2011, 19:33   #32
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
Don't know the going rate at today's prices but you are talking well in excess of £100-00 per ton for scrap iron, doesn't take many covers to make up a ton in weight.
Just googled for prices being offered and I think you would agree Neil that a heavy drain cover is worth a bit more than a couple of quid...(The lines have gone haywire in pasting but the info is there)

Ferrous scrap metal prices: £ per tonne
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
0A plate & girder 209 199 195 195 195 205
No 1 old steel scrap 189 180 170 170 170 180
No 2 old steel scrap 189 180 170 170 170 170
4A low residual bales 209 200 195 195 195 205
4C new production bales 209 200 195 195 195 205
light iron 209 180 160 160 160 170
7B mixed steel turnings 210 190 170 170 170 180
8B mixed steel cuttings 199 190 185 185 185 195
foundry heavy cast iron 204 185 180 180 180 190
No 9 cast 204 185 175 175 175 185
No 10 light cast 204 185 170 170 170 180
11 cast iron borings 190 175 165 165 165 175
12A new production heavy steel scrap 209 190 185 185 185 195

Old 07-09-2011, 19:38   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Here you go a couple of pictures showing the grid in place and lifted out showing how thick it is. In the second picture you can see the inside of the grid has rotted away and the whole thing needs replacing.

The replacement is a very poor fit and any kid could lift it out as nothing holds it in place. This would leave a dangerous hold again.

Neil....is that Garinda's brain lying down there in the drain?

If so, I've written a poem about it:

Garinda lost his brain
Down an Ossy drain
Neil took a piccy
And I took the mickey

....another classic, what!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 20:45   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
Congratulations Graham on a speech that accurately spells out what is happening all around us and I agree with the solutions that you have put forward.
I agree with what he said but we had the same problem when the last Government were in and they did nothing either.

I still say its a Police issue and thay have all the powers they need to deal with theft

So why are they not doing?
Old 07-09-2011, 21:46   #35
God Member

Here's a good 'un:

40 Gypsies arrive at the Pearly Gates in their Transit vans and caravans.

St Peter goes into the gatehouse and phones up God, saying "I've got 40 travellers here. Can I let them in?"

God says "We are over quota on Gypsies. Go back to the gates and tell them to choose between them which are the 12 most worthy and I will let a dozen in".

Less than a minute later St Peter is on the phone to God again. "They've gone", he tells God.

"What?" says God, "All 40 of them?"

"No, ....The Gates".

Last edited by Neil; 14-09-2011 at 07:19. Reason: *'s
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 22:14   #36

Well two more been nicked yest at some point next rd to mine, phoned LCC who within a couple hrs had come & put cones over the holes, what I would like to know is are the police doing regular spot checks on scrap yards? There was an article in the lancs telegraph this wk or last saying a load of cable had been found at a scrap yard, but how many grate covers or manhole covers have ever been recovered, its about time some serious prosecutions were made against scrap yard owners.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:40   #37
Senior Member+

Theres a couple missing now at the top of Sandy Lane right near St Anne's Primary School and I also saw one missing from the road that leads from Sandy Lane down past Bejamin Hargreaves whilst walking past on my way down to town from school. This is a very busy area with lots of children walking to school as well as using cars. Sooner or later there are going to be some fairly serious accidents as in my opinin an upturned orange cone stuck down the hole (invisible to the eye until you get within 5 foot of it) is not an adequate short term solution!.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:47   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
Well two more been nicked yest at some point next rd to mine, phoned LCC who within a couple hrs had come & put cones over the holes, what I would like to know is are the police doing regular spot checks on scrap yards? There was an article in the lancs telegraph this wk or last saying a load of cable had been found at a scrap yard, but how many grate covers or manhole covers have ever been recovered, its about time some serious prosecutions were made against scrap yard owners.
a good sledge hammer and you can smash cast iron and throw it in with other stuff

They had this problem in Germany and their way was to just replace them with plastic ones as they were stolen.

It may be a good idea to get the jump on thieves and start replacing what are left with plastic ones and weighing in the removed ones so they at least get some money back rather than nothing?

aslo stopping cars or vans that only have two people in yet their back end is dragging on the floor could be a good start especially in teh early hours of teh morning when this is probably happening

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 11-09-2011, 16:03   #39
Always EVIL within us

16th day now that the manhole cover has been missing in Bridge St. Accy. - - - - and the council can't even be bothered to put a bollard up to prevent pedestrians falling in.
Old 11-09-2011, 16:06   #40

the ones that I reported that still hadn't been attended to (other than the upside down cones in them) are still in dire need of replacing, this is now into the 3rd week, could the council be held responsible for manslaughter if some small child fell down one???
Old 11-09-2011, 16:14   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
the ones that I reported that still hadn't been attended to (other than the upside down cones in them) are still in dire need of replacing, this is now into the 3rd week, could the council be held responsible for manslaughter if some small child fell down one???
Are they the drains that have gone missing on Surrey St?
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 16:19   #42
God Member

Quote:
funny thing is if someone drives over a pot hole and damages their car or if someone is injured tripping in a hole in the road the county council are pretty quick at getting the hole filled in the hope that the victim hasn't had time to take photos and gather evidence.Maybe someone has to get hurt before action is taken ?

Old 11-09-2011, 16:29   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Are they the drains that have gone missing on Surrey St?
No Rough Lee Road, Bishop Street, South Street, and now two more which I reported on Friday on the corner of Russell St & Clement St. Someone had obviously reported the first three streets as there have been cones in the holes for 3 weeks now, I chased them up with LCC last week, and was told they would be passed to an inspector to chase up, well it isn't good enough, they should have plenty of stocks of the replacement drain covers, they are all a standard size, the excuse of "we are probably awaiting a delivery" just doesn't wash Im afraid, this is potentially someone's life a risk, also damage to cars, people tripping up over them etc. LCC needs to get on with it quickly, I shall be ringing again tomorrow and asking for an explanation. Or maybe Bernard you could get onto them as you probably hold a bit more clout than joe bloggs here??
Old 11-09-2011, 17:10   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
No Rough Lee Road, Bishop Street, South Street, and now two more which I reported on Friday on the corner of Russell St & Clement St. Someone had obviously reported the first three streets as there have been cones in the holes for 3 weeks now, I chased them up with LCC last week, and was told they would be passed to an inspector to chase up, well it isn't good enough, they should have plenty of stocks of the replacement drain covers, they are all a standard size, the excuse of "we are probably awaiting a delivery" just doesn't wash Im afraid, this is potentially someone's life a risk, also damage to cars, people tripping up over them etc. LCC needs to get on with it quickly, I shall be ringing again tomorrow and asking for an explanation. Or maybe Bernard you could get onto them as you probably hold a bit more clout than joe bloggs here??
I'll get in touch with them tomorrow as well. I don't know what the latest position, other than I know there's lot gone missing throughout the Borough over the last few weeks.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:24   #45

Just spent 20 mins on the phone to some young kid who was an absolute waste of time, The only report she can find for Rough Lee Road was when I rang last week! Explained someone had obviously already reported this as the cones were in situe, "do you have the ref. numb" er "no as I have already said I didnt originally report it". She cannot find any reference to Bishop Street or South Street, "it might have been the police who put the cones there"! Eh "I dont think so, LCC has put them there". "In certain circumstances the police will put cones there when it is out of LCC office hours"! She then rang through to the 'back office', I was then told that a superintendant (name unknown) will ring me when he is next back in the office (again unknown when he will be back in the office). I asked again how these reports cannot be on their system, her response "they are not on our system, but they might be on our system". If LCC employed staff who knew what they were on about it would be a start, what a waste of 20 mins of my life. Well I will await a telephone call from the superintendant!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..