Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 10:35   #46

Re: Drain cover

Just this minute had a phone call from LCC, the missing covers have been put out to contractors they haven't been forgotten about, "they are being done as we speak", they are being replaced with metal covers not the non metallic ones, which is absolutely ridiculous, nothing like throwing good money after bad is there. There is no timescale which they will be replaced. I did express my concerns as to the fact that the one for instance on Rough Lee Rd the cone is so far embedded down the hole that no-one would know about it unless you looked inside the drain, and that I have my 21 month old with me when we walk past this one a couple times a day & it makes me shudder to think what would happen if say he or another young child stepped into this hole. He also mentioned that 30+ more drain covers were stolen just last week. So the result they are being done, when? who knows, they want to get their priorities right I think.

Last edited by Neil; 13-09-2011 at 07:26. Reason: removed name
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2011, 12:45   #47
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
Just this minute had a phone call from LCC, the missing covers have been put out to contractors they haven't been forgotten about, "they are being done as we speak", they are being replaced with metal covers not the non metallic ones, which is absolutely ridiculous, nothing like throwing good money after bad is there. There is no timescale which they will be replaced. I did express my concerns as to the fact that the one for instance on Rough Lee Rd the cone is so far embedded down the hole that no-one would know about it unless you looked inside the drain, and that I have my 21 month old with me when we walk past this one a couple times a day & it makes me shudder to think what would happen if say he or another young child stepped into this hole. He also mentioned that 30+ more drain covers were stolen just last week. So the result they are being done, when? who knows, they want to get their priorities right I think.
Perhaps they are doing a crafty?

Getting metal ones on the cheap?

They've perhaps found a guy with a bit of a brogue accent that can supply them with unlimited replacements, so long as it's cash in hand & no questions asked.

Last edited by Neil; 13-09-2011 at 07:27. Reason: removed name in quote
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:20   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
.... they are being replaced with metal covers not the non metallic ones, which is absolutely ridiculous, nothing like throwing good money after bad is there.
Can they get non metallic covers for that type of opening?
Old 12-09-2011, 13:45   #49
Senior Member+

Another one disappeared over night on the corner of Clement street and Belfield road. I just nearly fell down it whilst walking the dog!! It's right outside a house where 3 young children live.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 14:52   #50
Senior Member+

If we can get to the moon(although some on here would deny that) surely we can invent a cheap non-metal drain cover(not £80 as Neil mentioned) and sell the metal ones to pay for them?
Also, can't HBC stock them? Put out to contract? It's a bit late to do that when they're nearly all gone.
Why not just pile the new metal ones up outside the Town Hall so the thieves don't have to waste petrol looking for them?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:10   #51
Senior Member+

You can even get them in re-enforced concrete, 'suitable for heavy traffic' and with no scrap value at all. Couldn't find a price.
Old 12-09-2011, 15:46   #52
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
If we can get to the moon(although some on here would deny that) surely we can invent a cheap non-metal drain cover(not £80 as Neil mentioned) and sell the metal ones to pay for them?
Also, can't HBC stock them? Put out to contract? It's a bit late to do that when they're nearly all gone.
Why not just pile the new metal ones up outside the Town Hall so the thieves don't have to waste petrol looking for them?
The replacement plastic ones are not very good. They cut them to fit. The one in my picture looks like Stevie Wonder cut it to size.

The problem with replacement covers is that that have to fit the old hole and they have to be strong enough.

As for HBC stocking them, why should they when it is LCC's responsibility?
Old 12-09-2011, 17:25   #53
Senior Member+

Sorry, Neil, not living in Accrington I havn't a clue who's responsable for what.
My argument still stands, why no stock and why no acceptable plastic or concrete replacement? Use the right plastic and they'd be strong enough.
Opening for a new business there?
Old 12-09-2011, 17:31   #54
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I have read that in some countries they steal concrete ones for the rebar inside them.

Don't forget some of these drains have been in place for donkeys years. Fitting one with a plastic lid would probably mean digging out the old one to fit a new type which would be very expensive.

The cause of all this is that they are being stolen. It is the job of the Police to catch thieves not Councils so where are they and what are they doing about it?

Last edited by Neil; 12-09-2011 at 17:33.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:01   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have read that in some countries they steal concrete ones for the rebar inside them.

Don't forget some of these drains have been in place for donkeys years. Fitting one with a plastic lid would probably mean digging out the old one to fit a new type which would be very expensive.

The cause of all this is that they are being stolen. It is the job of the Police to catch thieves not Councils so where are they and what are they doing about it?
Its like I've always said, when it comes to scrap metal, the scumbags that thieve any metal have to sell it somewhere, if the net was tightened on scrap dealers they wouldn't have anywhere to sell their ill gotten gains
Old 12-09-2011, 19:10   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its like I've always said, when it comes to scrap metal, the scumbags that thieve any metal have to sell it somewhere, if the net was tightened on scrap dealers they wouldn't have anywhere to sell their ill gotten gains
That is much more practical @ sensible,than expecting the police force to watch every drain cover full time.also would be a damn site cheaper.
Old 12-09-2011, 20:14   #57
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Them thieving scumbags might not use local scrap dealers, probably have their own chain of dealers, who can make them disappear overnight, and be in a chinese foundry next week. Happen PC Plod can't find them.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 08:56   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Them thieving scumbags might not use local scrap dealers, probably have their own chain of dealers, who can make them disappear overnight, and be in a chinese foundry next week. Happen PC Plod can't find them.
Retlaw
There are Policemen all over the country and scrap dealers all over the country, if covers turn up in Kent which were stolen here, should still stand out like a sore thumb, lets face it road grates and manhole covers are not everyday items of scrap metal wherever they turn up
Old 13-09-2011, 11:01   #59
God Member

they could paint the drains as they replace them with smart water like they are doing on a lot of metal these days but i have no idea of the expense or how long it would stay on the drain for.From what i have been led to believe they can trace each instance of smart water to a particular item as it can be coded and logged as to which particualr mixture was used on what and where.

Apparently it shows up under UV light ad merely touching it leaves traces on the skin for up to 7 weeks.

Quote:
SmartWater is a forensic property marker that can be used on valuable and/or easily removable items. No two SmartWater solutions have the same forensic code, meaning that marked items can be traced back to where they came from, provided that the solution applied has been registered with SmartWater. This also means that criminals can be linked with crime scenes. The solution is invisible under normal light, but glows brightly under UV light, making it easily identifiable by the police. Paint a fraction of vulnerable / at risk areas of metal with SmartWater, register the kit to your building and clearly display the signage supplied with the kit to deter potential thieves, especially as the SmartWater logo is well known among criminals and the signage alone is a major deterrent.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 13-09-2011 at 11:04.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 11:17   #60
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

Apparently it shows up under UV light ad merely touching it leaves traces on the skin for up to 7 weeks.
Well, that should make them popular on the dance floor at the nightclub.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..