Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2008, 12:07   #1

Drinking at 16 to be considered by Licensing Forum

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Drinking-at-16-to-be.4523657.jp

from isle of man today

by Site Admin
chrismuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2008, 13:03   #2
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Drinking at 16 to be considered by Licensing Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsboy View Post
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Drinking-at-16-to-be.4523657.jp

from isle of man today
Isn’t it the case that under 18’s can already drink alcohol with a bona fide meal if accompanied by an adult?

But I guess that they don’t mean that.

To be brutally frank I am undecided if lowering the age to buy and drink alcohol to 16 is a good thing or a bad one.

I can see both sides of the argument for and against so if I were forced to make a decision I would have to plump for retaining the current status quo.
Old 25-09-2008, 14:58   #3
Resting in Peace

Re: Drinking at 16 to be considered by Licensing Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Isn’t it the case that under 18’s can already drink alcohol with a bona fide meal if accompanied by an adult?

But I guess that they don’t mean that.

To be brutally frank I am undecided if lowering the age to buy and drink alcohol to 16 is a good thing or a bad one.

I can see both sides of the argument for and against so if I were forced to make a decision I would have to plump for retaining the current status quo.
In a working mens club they can drink at the age of 6 as long as it is bought for them.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 15:07   #4
God Member

The Isle of Man tourist industry must be feeling the credit crunch pinch, so are grasping at straws to attract visitors - ie teenie binge drinkers

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 15:55   #5
God Member

God help us.

It would be ok if people could handle it but it doesn't seem to matter whether the age is 16 or 60 the state of some folk in this country is a disgrace.

I was disgusted when I watched that cctv programme that showed a night out in Blackburn on mad Friday......people just can't handle their beer.
Old 25-09-2008, 16:01   #6
Senior Member+

Does anyone else get the feeling that, instead of policing illegal acts such as teenage drinking.... they are legalising it.... does it affect their targets?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 16:14   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
God help us.

It would be ok if people could handle it but it doesn't seem to matter whether the age is 16 or 60 the state of some folk in this country is a disgrace.

I was disgusted when I watched that cctv programme that showed a night out in Blackburn on mad Friday......people just can't handle their beer.
Its not so much beer Lilly, its the other concosions they drink today, I was drinking hen I was sixteen, mind you I looked a lot older, I was 6-4 but all the lads in those days drank beer, as in Mild, Mixed and Bitter. Today there are all these strong bottles, which double up as paint stripper, and it just fries their brains an turns them into babbling fools. To me the waythings ae goin they should raise the age to 21 never mind drop it to 16
Old 25-09-2008, 17:58   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Drinking at 16 to be considered by Licensing Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
In a working mens club they can drink at the age of 6 as long as it is bought for them.
Did you mean 16?
Old 25-09-2008, 18:31   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Did you mean 16?
No it's actually 5 but I thought I'd give it a bit of leeway.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 19:52   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
To me the waythings ae goin they should raise the age to 21 never mind drop it to 16
its 21 in the states n they probably have more physcos per populated mile than us, so aint convinced it would be good. fer my money they should bounce the offenders big time, cos that just penalises the sensible kids.
Old 25-09-2008, 20:44   #11
Full Member+

We used to drink at 16 too with no bother. There were a couple of landlords who told us straight that they knew we were under age but told us to behave and we could stay.

I aggree with jaysay that the stuff these kids drink would be better in my motorbike than in their bellies. That is apart from the various pills and powders that are acceptable in this crazy world. There has always been people who would drink to excess and they would be on the margins of society. Which of us hasn't had far too much beer than is good for us and been really sorry the day after but getting into that state is considered normal these days.

Then someone decided to allow pubs and clubs to apply for as many opening hours as they required. The argument was to cut down on late night violence when all the pubs closed at the same time.

It is a simple question -
What type of person wants to be drinking beer at 4am. on a Tuesday morning?
Answer
The same type of person who thinks it is ok to dance on your car, uproot your flowers and sing you a song on their way home.
The country is going in the wrong direction, and allowing 16 year olds to legally buy alcohol is not the answer - If alcohol can be bought by 16 year olds, then by logical progression, 14 year olds will try to get away with it and the problem of under age drinking will rear its ugly head again.

Society needs rules and those rules must be enforced because there will always be those people who believe that the rules do not apply to them.
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 21:23   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post

Society needs rules and those rules must be enforced because there will always be those people who believe that the rules do not apply to them.
agree with all yer post, the last paragraph in particular, but would add it aint much good enforcing laws,if the penalty is laughable to these louts.
Old 25-09-2008, 21:36   #13
Full Member+

'The law is an ass'
Quoted for a long time but it is true.

I remember many years ago, some people were arrested after they brole into the BaE plant at Warton and damaged some aircraft. When their case came to court they admitted to their charges yet were found 'Not Guilty' how was this possible?

They did it and they admitted doing it

The courts have an additional responsibility these days To save money by not sending the scum to prison send them to prison, throw away the key and build more prisons if they need to but don't let the scum share my world, I am a decent citizen and what I have earned is mine, not theirs for the taking.

Have I done enough to be Prime Minister yet?
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 21:46   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
'The law is an ass'
Quoted for a long time but it is true.

I remember many years ago, some people were arrested after they brole into the BaE plant at Warton and damaged some aircraft. When their case came to court they admitted to their charges yet were found 'Not Guilty' how was this possible?

They did it and they admitted doing it

The courts have an additional responsibility these days To save money by not sending the scum to prison send them to prison, throw away the key and build more prisons if they need to but don't let the scum share my world, I am a decent citizen and what I have earned is mine, not theirs for the taking.

Have I done enough to be Prime Minister yet?
well ya would get me off me ass to vote again.
Old 25-09-2008, 22:13   #15
God Member

It's 19 in Ontario ... seems to work well enough. The fines for selling to minors are pretty stiff; bars found selling to minors are often closed down for a couple of weeks. One of the benefits of having booze sold in govt. controlled outlets is that the paid staff ask for photo id from anyone who looks under 25. The people who work in beer stores and liquor stores work for a wage, so their income doesn't depend on how much they sell. Most minors can get booze only from their 19 yr old friends.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..