Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2007, 10:23   #1
I am Banned

Exclamation Drivers face penality using phones

New law starts today, driving using mobiles:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6399407.stm

Ooh even a comment left from an accy man
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2007, 10:25   #2
God Member

Re: Drivers face penality using phones

I hate seeing people drive and talk on their mobile so I think its a good thing but its going to be hard to police, I also think other crimes should have higher priority too.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 10:28   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I don't see it as being more dangerous than driving and smoking, eating, drinking etc.
Old 27-02-2007, 10:34   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't see it as being more dangerous than driving and smoking, eating, drinking etc.
Yeah, I agree all equally as dangerous, thought you could get done for eating and drinking.
Old 27-02-2007, 10:37   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
Yeah, I agree all equally as dangerous, thought you could get done for eating and drinking.

Yeah, Gillian Taylforth was done for eating...even though the car was stationary at the time.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 10:37   #6
I am Banned

I think its about holding something to your ear one hand on wheel & the lack of full concentration on driving instead of phone convo
Old 27-02-2007, 11:33   #7
I am Banned

If we are honest most people do (cue all the ones who say oh i dont and never have). But now its a bigger punishemnt i wont be doing it.
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 11:34   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Drivers face penality using phones

60 Quid And 3 Points For All???

As accymel has pointed out today is the day when the new Road Safety Act 2006 comes into force in the UK.

Read the act details here - http://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/road_safety_law.html

Long overdue if you ask me!

However this beggars the question will local authorities now recruit MP Spies like the Smoking Spies? If not, why not?

Oh! I forgot – smokers are an easy target!

Will this new law also apply to the police? I ask because during last night’s “Car Wars” on BBC1 at 9 o’clock it clearly showed one copper driving an unmarked police car on his own whilst talking onto a device that he held in his right hand. Not only that but there were times when he didn’t have his seat belt on and often took both hands off the wheel whilst belting along the road.

One final question or few! If you saw a copper doing the driving and using a hand held device to talk to control, would you flash him to stop and point out the error of his ways and maybe even perform a citizen’s arrest? What if the cop refused to stop, would you report him? Would you get anywhere with your allegation? Would you then become a target as an act of revenge?
Old 27-02-2007, 11:38   #9
I am Banned

He was doing his job and if he thought what he was doing was dangereous he wouldnt do especially on camera.
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 11:47   #10
I am Banned

True point about cops heeding their own laws Jambutty lol, whats good enough for the goose in good enough for the gander, mind u they usually travel in pairs so the passenger takes the radio control while other drives

Mind u i thought there was hands free devices that is readily available like bluetooth so drivers can have both hand on the wheel, which surely is easier.
Old 27-02-2007, 11:53   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadah View Post
He was doing his job and if he thought what he was doing was dangereous he wouldnt do especially on camera.
makes no difference why should he be above the law.

it's like the age old argument:
it is illegal for a police officer to break the speed limit but how many times do you see this and for no reason!
granted we all say nothing when an emergency services vehicle speeds past us in response to an emergency
but it was only the other night a police car came flying past me on the m6 no lights or siren and he was easily topping a ton
5 miles down the road he's parked up on one of those slip roads where they observe traffic.
no emergency then.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 12:14   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Drivers face penality using phones

They do travel in pairs most times accymel but I often see a cop on his or her own.

Driving whilst nattering on a mobile isn’t particularly safe but neither is chatting with the passenger. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for drivers concentrating on their driving and that means not using a mobile phone or nattering to the passenger. In fact a bit of nattering can be even more dangerous because for some reason women have to face the person that they are talking to and when listening to the response.

But it could also be argued that fiddling with the radio isn’t exactly safe either. The anti-smoking brigade will no doubt chip in here and argue about smoking whilst driving and they would have a point. I drive an automatic and I could argue that changing gear interferes with driving. But then so does reading road signs.

Just heard on the wireless a guy claimed that he had been stopped 7 times and 6 times he got off when taken to court.

How? As he explained that Radio hams are licensed to use their equipment anywhere and that includes in cars and on the move. He was a radio ham so he got off.

Now don’t all rush to get your ham’s license!
Old 27-02-2007, 12:48   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yeah, Gillian Taylforth was done for eating...even though the car was stationary at the time.
Trust you! lol
Old 27-02-2007, 18:44   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Will this new law also apply to the police? .... copper driving an unmarked police car on his own whilst talking onto a device that he held in his right hand.
The law specifically states mobile phones. It does not include radios. Taxi drivers, Police etc can still use their radios as they are not mobile phones. Yes it is silly buts the law states mobile phones.
Old 27-02-2007, 18:45   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Allegedly it is quite distracting for the bloke while he is driving as well

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..