Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2009, 16:53   #16
God Member

Re: Driving rules that people seem to have forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I presume I was taught to drive at the same age as Gayle, and still follow the rules that were taught, and it drives me mad when others don't.

I blame computer games. People drive like idiots, not fearing the consequences of bad driving. If you crash, just restart the game!

I passed mt test in 1982, and there's a marked lack of courtesy, comparing then with now.

Happily it's still better driving here than in London...for the time being.

If you do happen to be at a roundabout whilst l'm there, and you don't indicate where you're going, I'll be the one giving you the finger.

Roughly the same time, I think it was about 1988 when I took my test. I wasn't in a hurry.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2009, 18:01   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is easier for the car going up hill to stop, gravity is on the cars side
Never thought about it that way Neil .. still your brakes should always be in tip top condition I was always taught to give way to drivers coming up a hill too ... just out of courtesy. Particularly bigger vehicles like buses and lorries so it doesn't stop their flow and would have to gain speed/power again on an incline which is more difficult for them.

I know they're always grateful.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 18:06   #18
Passed away 25-11-09

I always give way to buses and lorries too. That's because one of the first rules of driving I learned, 40 years ago, was "Never argue with anything a lot bigger than you are". It works.
Old 13-11-2009, 18:15   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I always give way to buses and lorries too. That's because one of the first rules of driving I learned, 40 years ago, was "Never argue with anything a lot bigger than you are". It works.
LOL .. that's another reason too.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 19:22   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Never thought about it that way Neil .. still your brakes should always be in tip top condition I was always taught to give way to drivers coming up a hill too ... just out of courtesy. Particularly bigger vehicles like buses and lorries so it doesn't stop their flow and would have to gain speed/power again on an incline which is more difficult for them.

I've had my breaks tested, when Neil shot to turn out of his street. I just managed to turn the one fingered salute into a friendly wave, when l realised who it was.

I'm not complaing though, he drove very well when he brought me back from hospital.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 06:06   #21
God Member

the biggest vehicle has right of way ...esp if it its got jacked up suspension, mud tracks and a gun rack

Last edited by steeljack; 14-11-2009 at 06:09. Reason: forgot the winks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 09:58   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Buses and lorries kate since when did they ever give you a choice
Old 14-11-2009, 10:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Giving way to the right at roundabouts
OMG, if you have no one to your right and there is a car at the junction on your left, you have right of way! Don't let them go first, it's your turn!!!
You wouldn't believe how many people approaching from my right stop to allow me to pull out at the mini roundabout outside our house. They are designed so everyone knows who has right of way, and other drivers think they are being helpful when they are actually slowing everyone down. I'm not moving off if there's a risk of a collision where I'll be the one in the wrong.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is easier for the car going up hill to stop, gravity is on the cars side
Never thought about it that way Neil .. still your brakes should always be in tip top condition I was always taught to give way to drivers coming up a hill too ... just out of courtesy...
It's better for the environment if you give way to people coming uphill. The one moving downhill have gravity to help them move off, while those doing the hill start has to use more fuel to fight it.

I tend to give way to buses either way, just because it will be more comfortable for the passengers than the stop/start - plus (along with trucks) the fuel they use to move off downhill is probably more than I use to move off uphill.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 13:30   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post

It's better for the environment if you give way to people coming uphill.

screw the envioroment iv got places to be and cant be hanging around

cow farts cause just as much dammage apparently so im doing my bit by eating the cow

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 16:53   #25
Junior Member+

Drivers not using their indicators, drives me mad. Also tailgating on motorways. And just to finish, drivers who can't use throttle control on m-ways, so always hitting the brakes in the fast lane.
oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 17:39   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver View Post
Drivers not using their indicators, drives me mad. Also tailgating on motorways. And just to finish, drivers who can't use throttle control on m-ways, so always hitting the brakes in the fast lane.
Fast lane?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 17:54   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
.... tailgating on motorways....
try keeping left then after overtaking and you wont have that problem
Old 14-11-2009, 18:07   #28
Senior Member+

Just a sign of the times i'm afraid isn't it, people are more ignorant these days than they've ever been, this will be reflected in more bad manners on the road as in every day life, lack of respect for others...we all know best attitude...its only going to get worse too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 18:15   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Just a sign of the times i'm afraid isn't it, people are more ignorant these days than they've ever been
The roads are more busy as well.

You also get some very poor drivers on motorways who sit in the middle or outside lane and never return to the left. i do a lot of motorway driving and see some really bad things. One thing that bugs me is people driving on sidelights. If you think it is dark enough to need lights then switch on your headlights.
Old 15-11-2009, 01:38   #30
Full Member+

Quote:
Drivers not using their indicators, drives me mad. .
This particularly drives me nuts !!! I feel like screaming....

" I'm not Clairvoyant.....give me a clue witch way you're planning to go!!!!"

I'd also like to add that I would include a couple of expletives in that last statement !!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..