Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2009, 08:45   #1
God Member

Driving rules that people seem to have forgotten

Giving way to people who are coming up hill
I always thought that if you were going down hill and someone heading up, if there was only room for one car you had to give way so that the driver coming up was able to continue.

White lines across junctions
This means that you have to stop and let the people travelling the other way have right of way. This applies at chicanes where there is a line at your side and none at the other, this means that they have the right of way and you have to stop.

Passing places
I always understood that you should move into the passing place if it is on your left hand side, so that the person continuing has right of way.

Giving way to the right at roundabouts
OMG, if you have no one to your right and there is a car at the junction on your left, you have right of way! Don't let them go first, it's your turn!!!

Right of way when there are parked cars
I might be wrong on this one, but I was told that if there is a line of parked cars then the centre of the road shifts so that two cars can pass each other. So, if there is a line of parked cars on one side and just one car obstructing the other side, it is the person driving on the other side who must stop and allow you right of way.

I don't drive much these days as I don't need too and there are times when I wish I didn't have to bother at all!!!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 13-11-2009 at 08:47.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2009, 08:47   #2
God Member

Re: Driving rules that people seem to have forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I always thought that if you were going down hill and someone heading up, if there was only room for one car you had to give way so that the driver coming up was able to continue.

thats a myth regardless of who is going up or down a hill if your side of the road is blocked you wait, the person whos side is clear has right of way

i thoughtthe same as you until my driving instrtuctor told me off for giving way when i shouldnt have and even then i double checked with my friend who also is a driving instructor and was told teh same

no idea how these self made rules come to be but some people have it in tehri head that if they are going up hill they have right of way when they actually dont if its tehir side of the road thats blocked

as for roundabouts especially those mini ones i must admit i get a bit confused when all 4 directions have a car at them , you end up all looking at each other wondering whos gonna go for it first lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 13-11-2009 at 08:55.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 08:49   #3
God Member

But if both sides of the road have cars blocking the way, then it is the one going up hill who has right of way.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 09:00   #4
God Member

Quote:
But if both sides of the road have cars blocking the way, then it is the one going up hill who has right of way.
ahh but you didnt say that

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 13-11-2009, 09:37   #5
Resting in Peace

Well I always though you learned the Highway Code to pass your test then burnt it on the Bonfire of the Vanities
Old 13-11-2009, 11:37   #6
Give, give, give member

I presume I was taught to drive at the same age as Gayle, and still follow the rules that were taught, and it drives me mad when others don't.

I blame computer games. People drive like idiots, not fearing the consequences of bad driving. If you crash, just restart the game!

I passed mt test in 1982, and there's a marked lack of courtesy, comparing then with now.

Happily it's still better driving here than in London...for the time being.

If you do happen to be at a roundabout whilst l'm there, and you don't indicate where you're going, I'll be the one giving you the finger.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 11:38   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

only 1 driving rule= Get out of my way!
Old 13-11-2009, 11:41   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
only 1 driving rule= Get out of my way!

We do!

Old 13-11-2009, 11:41   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

If you do happen to be at a roundabout whilst l'm there, and you don't indicate where you're going, I'll be the one giving you the finger.

oi both hands 10 to 2 pal

Old 13-11-2009, 11:43   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
oi both hands 10 to 2 pal
My body clock has a third hand, just for this manouvre.

Old 13-11-2009, 11:48   #11
Give, give, give member

Standards have slipped ever since they dropped the rule about having a man walking infront of your car, waving a flag to warm others of your approach, and raising the speed limit to 5 mph.

Old 13-11-2009, 12:05   #12
God Member

I passed my test in 1967.
Only a few years later I had to drive to Manchester in the rush hour every day for 6 weeks for a work training course.
Towards the end of that 6 weeks I had got just as bad as those nasty drivers who 'cut you up'.
It was a case of survival.
I recall a particular journey when both myself and my passenger simultaneously extended our arms out of the window as we passed Strangeways.
Ever seen a mini with antlers?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 12:55   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:

It is easier for the car going up hill to stop, gravity is on the cars side

I usually find it is the other car that stops when they see me coming towards them aggressively
Old 13-11-2009, 14:22   #14
Resting in Peace

A solid lie at a junction means you have to stop - A broken line means you have to give way.

Mini roundabouts are the same as large ones unless controlled by lights as are unmarked crossroads.

None of the above appear to apply to Blackburn Rd however.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 15:15   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
A solid lie at a junction means you have to stop - A broken line means you have to give way.

Mini roundabouts are the same as large ones unless controlled by lights as are unmarked crossroads.

None of the above appear to apply to Blackburn Rd however.
Or Ormerod Street either Beni

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..