Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What is your opinon?
I oppose Rehab Centres in principle- they are a failed concept 1 9.09%
The government now has other spending priorities - maintain the existing centre in Blackburn 1 9.09%
Avenue Parade is ideal 2 18.18%
The ex-Fire Station/Cop Shop is better 7 63.64%
Somewhere else in Hyndburn, but not the Acorn Centre 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-11-2008, 09:28   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Drug and Alcohol Dendency Unit on Avenue Parade

I'm just wondering what happened to the old peoples homes shut by LCC, some of them were in their own grounds, and would be ideal, anyway is this centre just for Accrington or is it for the health authority.
Old 16-11-2008, 10:10   #32
Senior Member+

The Acorn centre is a purpose built medical faciltiy which has cost an awful lot of money and certainly doesnt appear to be being used to anything like its capacity, at least if the Drug and Alcohol dependency unit was located hear it would only take up a reletively small portion of the building. Also, looking at it from the users points of view, anyone using the service would have more confidentiality there, as they could be visiting the centre for many different reasons, in a "stand alone" unit, such as whats proposed for Avenue Parade, everyone is going to know what the people who are going in and out, are there for!! I really cannot see any logic at all, from any angle, in locating this on Avenue Parade, when there are more suitable options already available!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 13:12   #33
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Drug and Alcohol Dendency Unit on Avenue Parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I would suggest Blackburn Royal. Yes I know it is a trail but if people want to get better they must be committed enough to travel and there are many buses up to the hospital nowadays. If The Royal does not have space, then it should be created, after all it is a large site and I am sure a portakbin or similar could be used.
The premises on Avenue Parade would be more suitably re-deployed as a nursery, a community or childrens centre - something family orientated.
Then you would have the other bus travellers complaining about having to share a bus with a junkie en route to the hospital.
Old 16-11-2008, 13:32   #34
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Then you would have the other bus travellers complaining about having to share a bus with a junkie en route to the hospital.
Perhaps not, they would probably get a taxi and claim expenses!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 15:33   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
On reading most of the posts I surmise that none of you have ever had a family member with a drug or alcohol problem. If that is so you should be very thankful because it could so easily have happened to any one of you. These people are not the scum of the earth they are people with a very real problem. A problem which is going to get worse unless the police come down hard on known drug dealers!!!
But as I said if you haven't been there you will never understand And before anyone says it will never happen to any of their family I would say "never say never" it happens to people from all walks of life unfortunately.
I have had personal and close involvement with a close family member: and my views are still the name.... An addict knows that when they have that pill or whatever what they are doing and more to the point what it can lead to... there is more than enough information on the subject:

If you smoke ( which I do ) I know what risks I am taking... also for many illnesses the NHS will not treat smokers... ( I know they have clinics and so on ) yet it will fund units and the like for addicts and they are not excluded out of other medical treatments:

These people do not care what they are doing full stop ( its their so called illness ) that makes them that way.... what about all the crime that goes to fund their habits and nine times out of ten they get a way with it... oh I was drunk or I am a drug addict...

If they must fund them for treatment then it should be in a secure hospital....

If it goes ahead then the area will be even more run down.....and it will be come a meeting place for them.... and NO I don't live in the area so really that is not my concern. I am sick of all the help these idiots get and the damage they leave behind.
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 17:58   #36
Resting in Peace

they could convert Accy police station,not much going on there now and the cells are in place.
Would be ideal.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 19:23   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
they could convert Accy police station,not much going on there now and the cells are in place.
Would be ideal.
not a bad idea, they could also appear in court the same day, no problem.
Old 16-11-2008, 19:32   #38
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not a bad idea, they could also appear in court the same day, no problem.
then hop off across the road to the pub to celebrate their slap on the wrist!
Old 16-11-2008, 19:42   #39
God Member

The last 3 posts are great! I agree with all of em! I also agree with magpie about running the area down more, I looked at a house midway up water street, I was told that all the druggies and drunken teens congregate on that corner, so if they do that now, what would it be like if more drug users are brought there?

Last edited by derekgas; 16-11-2008 at 19:44.
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 09:40   #40
Resting in Peace

Re: Drug and Alcohol Dependency Unit on Avenue Parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
The last 3 posts are great! I agree with all of em! I also agree with magpie about running the area down more, I looked at a house midway up water street, I was told that all the druggies and drunken teens congregate on that corner, so if they do that now, what would it be like if more drug users are brought there?
Couldn't agree more derek, there was an alcoholic moved into the area where I live and with him the baggage he brought with him. coming in at all hours, people screaming and shouting all times of day and night, urinating against walls in open view. Touch would he went into rehab in Lancaster and hasn't been to bad since he returned, yet only this morning I saw one of his cronies hanging about.
Old 17-11-2008, 14:33   #41

Why not the old fire place ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 16:20   #42
God Member

Added a poll at the request of Tealeaf as he wanted one in his thread and the two are now merged.
Old 17-11-2008, 16:22   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Why not the old fire place ?
do you mean fire station or are you saying we should burn them?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 19:23   #44
God Member

I don't personally think there is anything wrong with a little in-house parochial humor, or even humour Now, if he had suggested transporting druggies and alkies to Australia, or Canada, that would be another thing entirely .... esp. Canada.

Last edited by Mick; 22-11-2008 at 09:08. Reason: removed bad language (in the quote)
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 20:18   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Added a poll at the request of Tealeaf as he wanted one in his thread and the two are now merged.

and why could he not put his own poll on ?
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..