Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What is your opinon?
I oppose Rehab Centres in principle- they are a failed concept 1 9.09%
The government now has other spending priorities - maintain the existing centre in Blackburn 1 9.09%
Avenue Parade is ideal 2 18.18%
The ex-Fire Station/Cop Shop is better 7 63.64%
Somewhere else in Hyndburn, but not the Acorn Centre 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2008, 20:44   #91
God Member

Re: Drug and Alcohol Dependency Unit on Avenue Parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Do you mind accuman there are some self respecting rats up there, you wouldn't wish them on even rats would you. I'd say the top of coppice but its far to nice too
Siberia, The Arctic Circle or even a prison ship anchored of the coast of Somalia, what about that?

I think a ransome for the return of that lot would fall on deaf ears.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2008, 21:39   #92
God Member

Re: Drug and Alcohol Dendency Unit on Avenue Parade

I cannot for the life of me think why drugs and alcohol sould be related. Maybe as a coctail they go together.
I have had an addiiction since I was thirteen years old to tobacco and still enjoy a smoke at 69.
I have had one or two hiccups along the way but thanks to our good health service I am still here to tell the tale.
I don't have to attend rehab and have probably cost the NHS about one tenth of what I've paid in.
I am reminded of the comic record 'You do what with it Walter...set fire to it'
Sniffing, Injecting or other means of taking Class A, B or C drugs should be made illegal.
Never mind they are for my own use.....Bring it to the Statute books.

Old 30-11-2008, 00:58   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I cannot for the life of me think why drugs and alcohol sould be related. Maybe as a coctail they go together.
I have had an addiiction since I was thirteen years old to tobacco and still enjoy a smoke at 69.
I have had one or two hiccups along the way but thanks to our good health service I am still here to tell the tale.
I don't have to attend rehab and have probably cost the NHS about one tenth of what I've paid in.
I am reminded of the comic record 'You do what with it Walter...set fire to it'
Sniffing, Injecting or other means of taking Class A, B or C drugs should be made illegal.
Never mind they are for my own use.....Bring it to the Statute books.
I take it that is a reference to Sir Walter Raliegh Also famous for the introduction of the Potato.
And also giving the Spanish a load of G B H

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 10:58   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I take it that is a reference to Sir Walter Raliegh Also famous for the introduction of the Potato.
You may just get some GBH of the inner ear from Roy for that Beni
Old 30-11-2008, 21:54   #95
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
That's the guy....and I'ts still legal to have a smoke in Spanish bars.

The Spanish don't do history

Old 01-12-2008, 14:18   #96
Senior Member+

Good to see a common sense decision reached in the end. It does also show that positive results can be achieved by protest. Such a pity it had to get to this late stage before the council could be dragged into the fray. If residents had been made aware of this in March, when the Council were, a lot of stress and panic could have been avoided. Wonder why "Britters" can see its the wrong place now, but could'nt back then??

Will be interesting to see where they now think the preferred location will be, and what they will decide to use the Avenue Parade location for. Perhaps they will let it exist in all its derelict glory....just to teach residents a lesson!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 20:35   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post

. Perhaps they will let it exist in all its derelict glory....just to teach residents a lesson!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Accept the Gold Award for most stupid comment of the week ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:21   #98
Senior Member+

At the meeting in Scaitcliffe House, the Doctor who was joint chair of the meeting asked the Residents if they would like to see the building left as it is now, derelict, or turned into a smart, modern resource facility!! Rather suggesting it was..either..or!! No other suggestions as to its future use have so far been put forward by the PCT, despite them being asked what other options they had been or could be considering.

I rather feel you qualify more for the Gold Award than I!!!

Best Regards - Taggy

Last edited by Taggy; 02-12-2008 at 10:30.
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:34   #99
Resting in Peace

Won't be long before it is a car park:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:04   #100
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Won't be long before it is a car park:
That maybe better than a broken own eyesore magpie
Old 02-12-2008, 12:25   #101
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That maybe better than a broken own eyesore magpie
True but there are so many good uses for it.... but don't think they will do anything with it now:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 17:41   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
At the meeting in Scaitcliffe House, the Doctor who was joint chair of the meeting asked the Residents if they would like to see the building left as it is now, derelict, or turned into a smart, modern resource facility!! Rather suggesting it was..either..or!! No other suggestions as to its future use have so far been put forward by the PCT, despite them being asked what other options they had been or could be considering.

I rather feel you qualify more for the Gold Award than I!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Oh well, never had a Gold Award before ...

Just you made it sound that the PCT were going to behave in a churlish manner and punish the residents for daring to object, which is probably far from the truth.

I am pleased for you that your campaign worked. I do feel a unit such as this is required locally however, and hope they can sort out premises.

I have quite a lot of sympathy for drug addicts and alcoholics myself, as teenagers are persuaded into all types of addictions when young and vulnerable. How many of us do not carry alcohol in the house ?

Feel sure, the PCT will now take another look at this building for a much needed requirement that is missing in Accrington, and for which they can obtain funding ... this building was the obvious one.
Old 02-12-2008, 19:20   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

I have quite a lot of sympathy for drug addicts and alcoholics myself, as teenagers are persuaded into all types of addictions when young and vulnerable. How many of us do not carry alcohol in the house ?

Feel sure, the PCT will now take another look at this building for a much needed requirement that is missing in Accrington, and for which they can obtain funding ... this building was the obvious one.
disagree it was the obvious one, i think more obvious is the one set back on nuttall street, which at the moment is used fer counselling and the like, move that facilty to peel house n put the re-hab there. less housing, near police station, also not a main walkway to junior schools.
Old 02-12-2008, 21:31   #104
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
disagree it was the obvious one, i think more obvious is the one set back on nuttall street, which at the moment is used fer counselling and the like, move that facilty to peel house n put the re-hab there. less housing, near police station, also not a main walkway to junior schools.
When I say obvious one Cashy, I meant most financially viable (you always complaining about various bodies wasting our tax money !)... presume the PCT owned the Peel House premises already ?

Don't know the one on Nuttall Street, but will go and take a look. What do you mean by counselling ? There are still residents around this area, and hope that Taggy will support the cause to not have it here if it ever came about that nearby residents would object. Who owns this building anyway ?

You can't just pinpoint a building and say best there, as owned by other vendors and not easy to purchase (suggestion of the Fire Station was absolutely ridiculous, as already planning permission submitted !).

Can't see that any children would be passing the Peel House to get to school anyway .. all primary schools the nearest .. Peel Park, St. John's .. nowhere near. Lots more would be walking along Nuttall Street of the more vulnerable age of teenage years.

I am not in anyway criticising the Avenue Parade residents for objecting to this unit in their tree lined street at all. You do what you feel is correct for yourself and fellow neighbours.

I would not object at all if the unit was next to my house ... would probably offer to help in some way .. and, believe me, I am no Saint.
Old 02-12-2008, 21:45   #105
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
When I say obvious one Cashy, I meant most financially viable (you always complaining about various bodies wasting our tax money !)... presume the PCT owned the Peel House premises already ?

Don't know the one on Nuttall Street, but will go and take a look. What do you mean by counselling ? There are still residents around this area, and hope that Taggy will support the cause to not have it here if it ever came about that nearby residents would object. Who owns this building anyway ?

You can't just pinpoint a building and say best there, as owned by other vendors and not easy to purchase (suggestion of the Fire Station was absolutely ridiculous, as already planning permission submitted !).

Can't see that any children would be passing the Peel House to get to school anyway .. all primary schools the nearest .. Peel Park, St. John's .. nowhere near. Lots more would be walking along Nuttall Street of the more vulnerable age of teenage years.

I am not in anyway criticising the Avenue Parade residents for objecting to this unit in their tree lined street at all. You do what you feel is correct for yourself and fellow neighbours.

I would not object at all if the unit was next to my house ... would probably offer to help in some way .. and, believe me, I am no Saint.
well you have obviously never been around avenue parade at morning if you do not think many children are passing, i have many many times, why can i not pinpoint a building? you certainly seem to be.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..