Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What is your opinon?
I oppose Rehab Centres in principle- they are a failed concept 1 9.09%
The government now has other spending priorities - maintain the existing centre in Blackburn 1 9.09%
Avenue Parade is ideal 2 18.18%
The ex-Fire Station/Cop Shop is better 7 63.64%
Somewhere else in Hyndburn, but not the Acorn Centre 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 21:36   #106
God Member

Re: Drug and Alcohol Dendency Unit on Avenue Parade

Well the latest development is a motion was put to council by Graham Jones seconded by I think Clare Pritchard (but don't quote me on this). This motion was put to council and spoke on by the proposer for about 5 minutes, who then withdrew it as the PCT have already said they will not be using Peel.

Council members wanted to have chance to debate it so voted against withdrawing the motion. An amendment was then put in by Peter Britcliffe which was something to the effect of 'We will have no further discussions with the PCT until they come back with a location that does not adversely affect residents'

This amendment and the resulting motion was then voted on by the whole of council.
Old 02-12-2008, 21:41   #107
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Well the latest development is a motion was put to council by Graham Jones seconded by I think Clare Pritchard (but don't quote me on this). This motion was put to council and spoke on by the proposer for about 5 minutes, who then withdrew it as the PCT have already said they will not be using Peel.

Council members wanted to have chance to debate it so voted against withdrawing the motion. An amendment was then put in by Peter Britcliffe which was something to the effect of 'We will have no further discussions with the PCT until they come back with a location that does not adversely affect residents'

This amendment and the resulting motion was then voted on by the whole of council.
that seems rather stupid to me, discussion is whats needed, seems a case of passing the buck.
Old 02-12-2008, 21:56   #108
God Member

I think the argument they subscribed to was 'If you don't want it next to you, you can't put it next to someone else' Therefore the PCT would have to find somewhere that didn't affect residents.
Old 02-12-2008, 22:16   #109
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I think the argument they subscribed to was 'If you don't want it next to you, you can't put it next to someone else' Therefore the PCT would have to find somewhere that didn't affect residents.
thats all well n good but i was taught, both parties need to discuss with "Each Other" to reach a sensible descision.
Old 02-12-2008, 22:16   #110
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well that has narrowed it down a bit and re-opened this thread to a load more silly comments.
I'm with the majority.Include me out.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 22:30   #111
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I am not in anyway criticising the Avenue Parade residents for objecting to this unit in their tree lined street at all. You do what you feel is correct for yourself and fellow neighbours.

I would not object at all if the unit was next to my house ... would probably offer to help in some way .. and, believe me, I am no Saint.
Your comments come across as sounding rather bitter as if you work for the PCT, I don't live on "the tree lined street" but I opposed the plan not because I felt it was the correct thing but because IT WAS the correct thing.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 17:42   #112
Senior Member+

Aye...tree lined street...with accompanying dog muck, thanks to some inconsiderate dog owners, who think its acceptable for their pets to empty their bowels on the grass verges. But thats another rant!....Obviously, i too dont think Avenue Parade was the Obvious place. It was only Obviously the correct place to the PCT, who did'nt attempt to consider the problems of placing this unit in a built up residential area. Its took a protest to change their minds, and awaken the Council. The PCT had a "we know best" attitude. And as we've come to see with the incompetant rearranging of services at Burnley General, Royal Blackburn and Pendle Community Hospitals, the PCT DONT always know best. Its all well and good having sympathy for Alcohol/Drug addicts, but the needs and wellbeing of all the community have to be given priority. Why is it always minorities that dicate the agenda these days? The PCT have a duty of care to all of us, particularily those who will be directly affected by their services. Its obvious that the PCT must have earmarked Avenue Parade long ago...whilst they were still designing the costly new health centres, encouraging the Doctors who were in Peel House to move there. Interesting that not many other Doctors have taken up the offers!! I still think the best place for it would be the PALS centre, of the ones that have so far been mentioned. But again thats just my personal opinion. As far as the unit at the corner of Nuttall Street/Wellington Street is concerned, i think that this building is already owned by the PCT, it offers Counselling/Mental Health Services. If we were comparing it directly with Avenue Parade, again I would still say this is more suitable, as its not as residential as Avenue Parade, is more set back, and could perhaps have the scope to be shielded further by Trees/Hedging etc. But if that place was proposed, and if the residents there strongly objected, i would be happy to support their objections, and sign any petition which was organised.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:02   #113
Resting in Peace

Thumbs down Re: Drug and Alcohol Dendency Unit on Avenue Parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Aye...tree lined street...with accompanying dog muck, thanks to some inconsiderate dog owners, who think its acceptable for their pets to empty their bowels on the grass verges. But thats another rant!....Obviously, i too dont think Avenue Parade was the Obvious place. It was only Obviously the correct place to the PCT, who did'nt attempt to consider the problems of placing this unit in a built up residential area. Its took a protest to change their minds, and awaken the Council. The PCT had a "we know best" attitude. And as we've come to see with the incompetant rearranging of services at Burnley General, Royal Blackburn and Pendle Community Hospitals, the PCT DONT always know best. Its all well and good having sympathy for Alcohol/Drug addicts, but the needs and wellbeing of all the community have to be given priority. Why is it always minorities that dicate the agenda these days? The PCT have a duty of care to all of us, particularily those who will be directly affected by their services. Its obvious that the PCT must have earmarked Avenue Parade long ago...whilst they were still designing the costly new health centres, encouraging the Doctors who were in Peel House to move there. Interesting that not many other Doctors have taken up the offers!! I still think the best place for it would be the PALS centre, of the ones that have so far been mentioned. But again thats just my personal opinion. As far as the unit at the corner of Nuttall Street/Wellington Street is concerned, i think that this building is already owned by the PCT, it offers Counselling/Mental Health Services. If we were comparing it directly with Avenue Parade, again I would still say this is more suitable, as its not as residential as Avenue Parade, is more set back, and could perhaps have the scope to be shielded further by Trees/Hedging etc. But if that place was proposed, and if the residents there strongly objected, i would be happy to support their objections, and sign any petition which was organised.

Best Regards - Taggy
Of course the PCT thought the Avenue Parade site ideal for this unit, but you can bet your bottom dollar none of them live within miles of Avenue Parade, or maybe Accrington itself, but one thing is for sure they wouldn't be voting to have it sited anwhere near any of their homes anytime soon
Old 04-12-2008, 18:48   #114
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Taggy did you get your letter from Greg Pope?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 16:57   #115
Senior Member+

Yes indeed i did Bagpuss....thought it was my invite to the House Of Commons!! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-12-2008, 09:19   #116
Resting in Peace

Re: Drug and Alcohol Dependency Unit on Avenue Parade

Quote:
Yes indeed i did Bagpuss....thought it was my invite to the House Of Commons!! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Don't go Taggy, its full of those bloody politicians
Old 06-12-2008, 09:52   #117
Senior Member+

I was hoping to gain access to the subsidised bar and smoking lounge Jaysay!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-12-2008, 13:28   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
when i was there,back in the day, the M.P. got the ale in Taggy, sod the subsidy.
Old 06-12-2008, 14:04   #119
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
Thats not for plebs like thee and me Taggy
Old 07-12-2008, 09:48   #120
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
when i was there,back in the day, the M.P. got the ale in Taggy, sod the subsidy.
Blimey theres a novelty Cashman ...the thought of an MP with his hands in his OWN pocket!!!

Ah well Jaysay...one can have dreams...or Nightmares!!!...This plebs off to Tesco now, for his value lager!!

Best Regards - Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..