Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2015, 14:51   #16
Beacon of light

Re: E Cigarettes on NHS ?

Jason, I have been inhaling steam at the first sign of a cold for many years....Sometimes it heads the cold off at the pass(the steam is supposed to limit the growth of the virus in the throat and the naso-pharynx) sometimes it doesn't......but I still do it.
Yes, there are chemicals in the e-cigs, but I thought that the resultant product of the heating of these was water vapour, but I am very happy to be corrected and educated if this is not so.
I still think that ultimately they will be safer than the chemicals in conventional cigarettes.....and that any efforts to reduce dependence on tobacco are to be applauded.
My father died a horrible death from lung cancer......and his last days stay with me in my memory....yes he was a smoker. He was given cigarettes as he embarked to fight in France in WWII....prior to that he had not smoked.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2015, 15:39   #17
God Member

As the greater drain on NHS resources now seems to obesity and its buddy diabetes, it would be cheaper, and more politically correct, to hand out carrots and/or other healthy veggies.

I still smoke ... doesn't cost all that much for me as I live a short drive from Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 16:19   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I won't use gum or patches as I've heard folk can suffer nightmares and other adverse effects from them.
when i was on the full strength nicorette patches i woke up convinced in my head that i was married and spent 20 mins looking for my wedding ring lol

thats one nightmare i will never forget

as for e-cigs theres plenty of scaremongering out there based on zero facts mostly by the hard core nazi anti smokers lot that think anything that looks like smoking will kill you and your children.After e-cigs they will be calling for a ban on breathing out in winter time as that too can look like and encourage children to smoke..

what these morons dont quite grasp is that the two main ingredients they object to in e-liquid are found in most food products they eat but hey whats a few facts when you have a pocket full of un proven statements to look at on google from fellow morons to throw at people you simply want to do everything your way
Accyexplorer likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 16:31   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jason, I have been inhaling steam at the first sign of a cold for many years....Sometimes it heads the cold off at the pass(the steam is supposed to limit the growth of the virus in the throat and the naso-pharynx) sometimes it doesn't......but I still do it.
Yes, there are chemicals in the e-cigs, but I thought that the resultant product of the heating of these was water vapour, but I am very happy to be corrected and educated if this is not so.
I still think that ultimately they will be safer than the chemicals in conventional cigarettes.....and that any efforts to reduce dependence on tobacco are to be applauded.
My father died a horrible death from lung cancer......and his last days stay with me in my memory....yes he was a smoker. He was given cigarettes as he embarked to fight in France in WWII....prior to that he had not smoked.
We're already on page two,not bad for a "non starter"

"The main ingredients found in the e-cigarette liquids are glycerin and glycol ethers, which are used as the liquid carrier into which all of the nicotine, flavorings and preservatives easily dissolve, Thornburg said. Those substances are not considered harmful."

Personally,I don't believe Thornburg or the public health minister if they say these chemicals are safe to be inhaled.

There is a little more info on Eliquids in the link below:-

E-Liquid Facts - VapeHit

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 16:54   #20
Senior Member+

Lord knows how many folk have to turned to e cigs without the help of the taxpayer, so imo ,there's no need for them to be made available on script.
The fact the NHS can't afford much needed care but can afford to provide folk with ecigs is pure madness and I can only hope that they are taking money away from the methadone prescriptions to balance the numbers
Rowlf likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 20-08-2015, 17:26   #21
Beacon of light

one of the components of the e-cig is polyethylene glycol.
This is currently being added to beta interferon injections used in Relapsing/remitting MS.
It has been proved to have a beneficial effect in making the actions of the beta interferon last longer in the bodies of those patients who are being prescribed it...meaning that weekly injections can now be given fortnightly and there is a study being done that suggests that the addition of this substance will eventually allow for the injections to be given on a monthly basis........so if it can be used for enhancing the effect of a very expensive kind of medication, then it is a good bet that inhaling this will be far less harmful than the inhaling of tobacco smoke
Old 20-08-2015, 17:36   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
As the greater drain on NHS resources now seems to obesity and its buddy diabetes, it would be cheaper, and more politically correct, to hand out carrots and/or other healthy veggies.

I still smoke ... doesn't cost all that much for me as I live a short drive from Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory.
The obesity crisis and the rise in the number of cases of diabetes should be laid firmly at the doors of the scientists, who some four decades ago(it may even be more than that) persuaded us to believe that dairy products...butter. cream, eggs cheese was bad for us...and that we would all be healthier if we gave them up in favour of healthier products.
Now we are being told that had we not followed their advice we would have fewer diabetics, and the population would be slimmer and healthier.

My mother is a type 2 diabetic.....her diabetes was brought on by a seeing her little pet dog mauled by a large alsatian.
She is not obese(could be considered a little overweight since she has shrunk in height) but her weight has remained the same for more than 30 years.
Old 20-08-2015, 17:44   #23
God Member

Quote:
The obesity crisis and the rise in the number of cases of diabetes should be laid firmly at the doors of the scientists, who some four decades ago(it may even be more than that) persuaded us to believe that dairy products...butter. cream, eggs cheese was bad for us...and that we would all be healthier if we gave them up in favour of healthier products.
Now we are being told that had we not followed their advice we would have fewer diabetics, and the population would be slimmer and healthier.

My mother is a type 2 diabetic.....her diabetes was brought on by a seeing her little pet dog mauled by a large alsatian.
She is not obese(could be considered a little overweight since she has shrunk in height) but her weight has remained the same for more than 30 years.
Mmmm ... I wasn't being serious you know.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 17:47   #24
Beacon of light

No...I know you weren't......for goodness sake if the poor coeliacs cause such a fuss about them getting gluten free stuff...can you imagine if obese people were prescribed carrots, lettuce and cucumber?
Old 20-08-2015, 18:13   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
one of the components of the e-cig is polyethylene glycol.
This is currently being added to beta interferon injections used in Relapsing/remitting MS.
It has been proved to have a beneficial effect in making the actions of the beta interferon last longer in the bodies of those patients who are being prescribed it...meaning that weekly injections can now be given fortnightly and there is a study being done that suggests that the addition of this substance will eventually allow for the injections to be given on a monthly basis........so if it can be used for enhancing the effect of a very expensive kind of medication, then it is a good bet that inhaling this will be far less harmful than the inhaling of tobacco smoke
With you being a nurse, I'll take your word for it

password--Accyweb
Old 20-08-2015, 18:15   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
No...I know you weren't......for goodness sake if the poor coeliacs cause such a fuss about them getting gluten free stuff...can you imagine if obese people were prescribed carrots, lettuce and cucumber?
Please don't give the NHS anymore ideas M

password--Accyweb
Old 20-08-2015, 18:52   #27
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
With you being a nurse, I'll take your word for it
I'm a retired nurse...but still take an interest in all things medical.
You could look it up
http://multiplesclerosis.net/researc...feron-beta-1a/

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 20-08-2015 at 18:55.
Old 20-08-2015, 19:56   #28
Full Member+

My point really was that NHS money could be better spent for conditions that are not self inflicted.
cashman likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 20:00   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
My point really was that NHS money could be better spent for conditions that are not self inflicted.
Agree entirely, the info is out there now on the dangers, so as far as i'm concerned anyone who starts smoking these days is asking fer what they get simple as.
Old 20-08-2015, 20:06   #30
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
So you would include drug addicts, alcoholics, fat people....where would you draw the line? Would you include those who are HIV positive because of their life style?
My point is that anything that is effective in helping smokers to kick the habit may actually save money and lives.....and that has to be good.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..