Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2015, 21:56   #1
Full Member+

E Cigarettes on NHS ?

It is apparently being suggested that E cigarettes should be given on the NHS. I for one am appalled . At a time when we are told money is tight the very thought of funding something like this when children are having drugs denied them is for me a step too far.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2015, 22:14   #2
Beacon of light

re: E Cigarettes on NHS ?

Illnesses caused by smoking cost the national health service a lot of money.
That is not the only cost which needs to be considered, there is the cost to,the nation of lost working days, there is the cost to families too when someone in the family suffers from an illness caused by smoking.
I have been retired from the NHS for thirteen years now.....when I was working there were prescriptions being given for Nicotine Replacement Therapy.....they were unpalatable and did not work very well.....so what is the difference?( and they were expensive too at that time)
The long term costs of not helping those who are ruining their lives(and maybe the lives of their children) outweigh the costs of not doing so.
Do you feel so strongly about drug addicts being given methadone to help them quit their drug habit....or the alcoholics who get an extra allowance to feed their habits.
Maybe we should look at those who take NHS treatment without paying for it....or those who pay nothing in. But use the services.
This topic has been given some coverage in the benefits thread.
Getting smokers to quit is not an easy task, this is just another tool in the arsenal that may prove more effective in limiting long term health problems caused by smoking.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 19-08-2015 at 22:17.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 06:42   #3
Senior Member+

I predict 10-20yrs down the line folk will be getting the same illnesses from these electric devices as they do with tobacco.
Personally,I'm happy paying £5-£8 a week to kill myself so I won't be taking the NHS up on their offer.
The best way to quit is "cold turkey" as Margaret mentioned in the benefits thread.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 07:28   #4
JCB

I gave up smoking fags nearly 3 years ago , after smoking for 50 years .

The main reason I stopped was the cost , but subconsciously there may have been a fear of damage to my health .

I have saved thousands of pounds .

I went onto e-cigs , and I haven't missed a fag one little bit . In fact I prefer my e-cigs to fags .

As for NHS funding for those who want to replace fags for e-cigs......Well , if there are some who genuinely can't afford the initial outlay in transferring to e-cigs , I have no problem with the NHS helping them .

When I first heard of this report I was a bit miffed.....thinking that if they can afford to buy fags they can afford to buy e-cigs . But on reflection I can see that there are some who would have problems buying the starter kit . There are some really poor people among us , and unfortunately they may need help . We don't live in an ideal world .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 08:38   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
It is apparently being suggested that E cigarettes should be given on the NHS. I for one am appalled . At a time when we are told money is tight the very thought of funding something like this when children are having drugs denied them is for me a step too far.
At around £8.00 a packet yearly costs to smoke for a 20 a day habit heads somewhere up to £3000 a year.
That figure should be reflected in the e-cig prescription charges.

Last edited by DtheP47; 20-08-2015 at 08:40.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 09:20   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: E Cigarettes on NHS ?

The Welsh are proposing to ban the use of E-Cigs in public places because they think it normalises smoking and will encourage others to start
Old 20-08-2015, 09:59   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I gave up smoking fags nearly 3 years ago , after smoking for 50 years .

The main reason I stopped was the cost , but subconsciously there may have been a fear of damage to my health .

I have saved thousands of pounds .
Exactly the same, i stopped 3 yrs ago this month after oer 50 yrs smoking, and for the same reason, but i cannot agree wi providing on the NHS, if yer daft enough to start smoking.
Old 20-08-2015, 10:51   #8

I use nicotine chewing gum. I pay for them myself, not on the NHS. At the rate I previously smoked (40 a day), the gum costs a lot less than what I was spending on cigarettes.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 11:17   #9
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I predict 10-20yrs down the line folk will be getting the same illnesses from these electric devices as they do with tobacco.
Personally,I'm happy paying £5-£8 a week to kill myself so I won't be taking the NHS up on their offer.
The best way to quit is "cold turkey" as Margaret mentioned in the benefits thread.
I won't put money on your prediction. The damaging stuff in cigs is not the nicotine (nicotine is relatively innocuous...and the receptors in the brain disappear after five days of not using nicotine)......it is the chemicals that do the damage.
If E cigs are going to be prescribed then they will have to meet rigorous quality and safety checks, which at present, they are not subject to.
My understanding of how these work is that they deliver a small amount of nicotine(which can be progressively reduced until you get down to zero) in steam....steam is water vapour......I use steam to clear my chest when I have a bad chest...so am I going to be at risk of the same diseases smokers get Jason.....I sincerely hope not as I have never smoked in my life(though I have been subjected to second hand smoke during my life).

I think one of the main reasons why smokers find these devices better in helping them quit is that it maintains the 'hand to mouth' action that many smokers miss when they give up coffin nails.

Having seen first hand the damage that smoking does I am in favour of whatever method is most effective in getting people to stop...and if this needs the intervention of health professionals then so be it.

If I wanted to save money on prescriptions I would go about it in a whole different way...but that is another matter entirely.
Old 20-08-2015, 12:12   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
£5-£8 a week? You're not a smoker! Get on the £8 a day and you'll qualify, until it gets you.

Cold turkey is OK for a lucky few, not many manage it.
I've tried everything, patches, gum(revolting), acupuncture, hypnotism, and yes cold turkey.
The nearest I've got is ecigs, not done it yet but I'm getting there. I can go out without cigarettes now, just an e cig. Not quite broken it at home but I will.

It's not just the nicotine(I read it's more addictive than heroin?), it's the habit as well. You're stressed or just want a break, go through the routine of getting out the packet, take a ciggy, get out lighter, light up and before you even inhale you're into that break. (Smoking a pipe was even better, it would be five minutes of messing about before you could even light it).
An e cig comes close to that habit and tops up the nicotine. Also you can make the changeover at your own pace.We weak creatures need all the help we can get!

I don't think they should need to be on the NHS, if you can afford £8 a day(or more!) you can afford £30 or even less for a good e cig which will last forever plus £3 a week for the liquid.
But- patches £14 a week, gum £18 for 240, other methods similar. E cigs on the NHS would cost less, if some folk need that extra incentive to give up why not?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 12:36   #11
Beacon of light

nicotine is addictive, but is relatively innocuous....and as I said in my previous post...the receptors on the cells in the brain disappear after five days without any nicotine......but the hand to mouth habit(as you have so rightly observed) is a much harder habit to break...and this is where the e-cig has it over the patches and chewing gum....you still have the hand to mouth action....and although I have never tried an e-cig...they tell me they are much more palatable than the chewing gum.
I have been told that this gum is revolting even though it is supposed to be mint flavoured.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 20-08-2015, 13:45   #12

Nicorettes aren't so tasty, but Nicotinell and Tesco's home brand are fine. It's just a matter of getting used to them and much safer than the dreaded weed. Trouble is I'm now addicted to gum!

Last edited by Michael1954; 20-08-2015 at 13:49.
Old 20-08-2015, 13:53   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
yeah and its disgusting they give people chemo therapy as well aint it ,thats pretty expensive as well

lets take crutches away from people too that aluminum aint cheap

id rather have the nhs pay for a e-cig than pay for the treatment and cure of cancers and other smoking related illness

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 14:08   #14

Despite that, I'll stick to paying for my gum, rather than getting it free from the NHS. I can afford it, but I can appreciate it that some might not.
Old 20-08-2015, 14:22   #15
Senior Member+

I don't smoke tobacco anymore since I started on my Ecig,I spend £5-£8 a week on Eliquid,coils etc.
I won't use gum or patches as I've heard folk can suffer nightmares and other adverse effects from them.
Inhaling any foreign substance isn't good for you,steam seems perfectly ok so you'll be fine M,but will zero nicotine Eliquid just be water like from the tap?...I doubt it.
I don't think they use water to create the vapour but I may be wrong.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..