Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2014, 23:57   #31
God Member

Re: Earlier and earlier!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post

Anyway, hope you are all enjoying the good times now, and can actually afford a pair of matching socks – without holes, and maybe a bit of meat to go with the turnip.
And don[t forget the new penny and the sugar pig.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2014, 00:45   #32
God Member

Come to think of it, it wasn't the whole pig ... it was that bit of string that stuck out of its ass ... but, luxury of luxuries, there was a hint of pink on it. And I didn't get to keep the penny. But I did get a peek at it before it went into the gas meter.
westendlass likes this.
Old 19-11-2014, 15:17   #33
Full Member+

Anyone have a goose for Christmas dinner ? We did some years but unfortunately mum used to save the fat and smother me with it to prevent colds. HORRIBLE.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 20:09   #34

We used to have a goose at Christmas-time. My mother plucked the goose herself as it was cheaper to buy it unplucked. Plenty of meat on it and also my mother could replenish her supply of goose-grease which she used throughout the winter. It might have been horrible but it did the job. Quite a few uses for it, including preserving leather - that's if, of course, you had anything leather to preserve!

Him indoors tells me he used to rub it all over his body before going out to play soccer (he was a goal-keeper) as it kept the rain and the cold from his body.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 20:28   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
We used to have a goose at Christmas-time. My mother plucked the goose herself as it was cheaper to buy it unplucked.
Cheaper to go out and shoot one Just push the little bits of lead to the side of the plate
Old 19-11-2014, 22:10   #36
Full Member+

My dad played a lot of football and used olive oil to keep cold and wet out. I used it on my legs in winter for hockey at school. Much preferable to goose grease.
Old 21-11-2014, 22:05   #37

Ah, but that came as a free extra when you had a goose....

Last edited by dotti34; 21-11-2014 at 22:07.
Old 21-11-2014, 22:13   #38

Eric, can you please explain further about the sugar pig...haven't heard about that one. I vaguely remember something about a new penny - is that to do with the New Year?
Old 21-11-2014, 23:07   #39
God Member

I recall sugar mice - pink sugar compressed into a mouse shape with a string tail.
Sugar pigs are still made today
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boynes-Indiv...rds=sugar+pigs

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 23:22   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I recall sugar mice - pink sugar compressed into a mouse shape with a string tail.
Sugar pigs are still made today
]
So are sugar mice. Must admit I never fancied the bit of string coming out of their bottoms- still, if it's all you can get?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 23:27   #41
Full Member+

There is a little old fashioned sweet shop in Haworth that always has both sugar pigs and mice. I remember having them at Christmas. What about the silver threepenny pieces in the pudding ? Does anyone still put coins in their pud?
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 22-11-2014, 01:51   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
What about the silver threepenny pieces in the pudding ?
I remember that ... much better than finding little bits of lead in the goose.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..