Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-2011, 23:04   #16
Resting In Peace

Re: Earthquake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
4.3 miles under Ossy ? Ossy is bad enough on the surface, so far down really would have been the pits
Did they have coal mines that deep?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-12-2011, 23:07   #17

Hope it didn't disturb the radioactive waste buried on Oswaldtwistle Moor.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 23:15   #18
God Member

It was on Darwen moor (see earlier posts)
map ref - 53.679n 2.404w

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 10:31   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It was on Darwen moor (see earlier posts)
map ref - 53.679n 2.404w
I knew you'd jump to the defence of Ossy Margaret
Old 20-12-2011, 15:14   #20

Not Darwen Moor - that is were the tower is. It was near Hoddlesden moss. About 1.25 miles SE of Hoddlesden.
Old 20-12-2011, 19:17   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider61 View Post
Not Darwen Moor - that is were the tower is. It was near Hoddlesden moss. About 1.25 miles SE of Hoddlesden.
So long as it was miles away from Ossy its alright
Old 20-12-2011, 19:49   #22
Senior Member+

I didn't know there was radioactive waste stored in Lancashire, I thought Cumbria was the nearest. Is it just hospital waste or something more lively?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 20:13   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I didn't know there was radioactive waste stored in Lancashire, I thought Cumbria was the nearest. Is it just hospital waste or something more lively?
I have heard that some 'low level' waste was put down an old mineshaft in Ossy. I don't know where, or whether it's true (I doubt you would be told about it if you asked)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 22:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have heard that some 'low level' waste was put down an old mineshaft in Ossy. I don't know where, or whether it's true (I doubt you would be told about it if you asked)
Yeah, I've read the proof with my own three eyes.
Nuclear fears over Oswaldtwistle Moor wind farm rejected (From Lancashire Telegraph)
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 00:53   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
So long as it was miles away from Ossy its alright
Even earthquakes avoid Ossy

A major earhtquake in Ossy would be "urban improvement".
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 01:32   #26
God Member

On 19/12/11 an earthquake measuring 2.8 on the Richter scale hit Oswaldtwistle causing untold disruption and distress.
Many were woken well before 12 noon
One resident, Donna-Marie Dutton, a 17-year-old mother-of-three said: "It was such a shock, little Chantal-Leanne came running into my bedroom crying. My youngest two, Tyler-Morgan and Megan-Storm slept through it...thier Uncle got dressed and left. I was still shaking when I was watching Jeremy Kyle the next morning."
The British Red Cross have so far managed to ship 400 Greggs pasties to the area to help the stricken masses.

Rescue workers are still sifting through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, including trainers,cannabis and photos of "owd mill"

HOW YOU CAN HELP
£3 can feed a family for 2 weeks from Iceland

£1 can take a family for the day down to Leeds/Liverpool canal where children can play on an unspoilt canal bank among the national collection of stinging nettles

22p buys a biro for filling out spurious compensation claims.

PLEASE ACT NOW - Collection points are available at your local branches of Lidl, Iceland and Clinton Cards.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 17:23   #27
God Member

Felt the earth move for the second time this week today.

Windows shaking for a few minutes and the light-fittings swinging around, plus that weird feeling that comes over you.

Wednesday at 9-10 in the morning it happened for the first time, a Magnitude 4.9 earthquake centered near Reggio Emilia (about 1 hrs drive from Cremona) some 30km down in the earth was felt all the way to Milan -schools were evacuated.

Todays was definitely stronger and lasted longer too. It happened just around 16-00 and was 5.4 on the Richter scale and sited a little nearer to here near Parma but was apparently 60km down in the earth's crust.

Northern Italy is not the most active area for Earthquakes in the country but since I've lived here this is about the 20th earthquake I've felt. It really is a strange sensation it gives you.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 17:40   #28
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Felt the earth move for the second time this week today.

Northern Italy is not the most active area for Earthquakes in the country but since I've lived here this is about the 20th earthquake I've felt. It really is a strange sensation it gives you.
Yes I know what you mean. There have been two here since we have lived in Morecambe (2007). The first was at lunchtime and I was standing in our kitchen, felt quite shaky for the rest of the day. The second was one evening, didn't feel so bad as I was sitting on the sofa.

There was also one in the midlands shortly after we moved there in 2000 but it was during the night and we didn't feel it. They seem to follow us around!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 18:07   #29
God Member

The worst one for us was back in 2002, we were living near Alssandria and there was a strong earthquake centered only 5 miles away in the hills near Tortona. Both my sons were evacuated from their schools and although no-one was killed quite a few houses were destroyed up in the valley where it happened.

I had friends staying from England and we were visiting our local village (Piovera) which has a beautiful and completely intact 14th century castle. The whole thing started shaking and it was very scary, we thought it was going to come down on our heads! The weirdest thing though was that in the village all the dogs and cats came out into the street just before it happened and were howling -they must have felt it first -spooky.

http://www.castellipiemontesi.it/pag.../piovera.lasso

Do take a look at this link i just found showing the castle -some great photos and in the cellars is an original wine-press built using a design by Leonardo Da Vinci. It's a real gem and completely off the beaten track. The Count who owns the castle is an artist and throught he village there is also a sculpture trail to follow.

They have an annual mediaeval festival which is great fun too.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 27-01-2012 at 18:12.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 19:04   #30

A detailed report can be found at-----

Magnitude 5.2 - NORTHERN ITALY
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..