Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 20:07   #46
God Member

Re: Eggs is Eggs

i'd love to have some chickens in my garden, but i doubt t.v.h would allow me to have them
Old 08-09-2008, 20:10   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i'd love to have some chickens in my garden, but i doubt t.v.h would allow me to have them
Me too, it would drive the neighbours mad....Hee Hee......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 20:11   #48
God Member

if only my neighbour was the problem, he wouldnt mind them
Old 08-09-2008, 20:13   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
The last free range eggs we got from our friends had the most gorgeous bright yellow yolks and were of a fair size, they have also rescued some battery hens and the longer they have had them free range, the better and bigger the eggs have got.....
To my thinking what to look for is a bright orange yolk....depending on the breed of the hen and a tell tale sign when you crack the egg into the pan which tells you if it is a battery hen or free range.
It is only there when the hens are running with a Cockeral.....I am sure someone will tell us?............go for it.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 20:25   #50
God Member

The allotment holders near me keep cockerels too. They have different calls - when the dawn chorus happens I can hear at least 6 different 'voices'. The geese can cause a racket too. I don't mind it at all - better than traffic noise anyday.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 20:35   #51
God Member

Now goose eggs are nice. Does the owner sell em?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 20:39   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Now goose eggs are nice. Does the owner sell em?
He did offer me some once but I declined - heard that they taste very strong.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 21:13   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
He did offer me some once but I declined - heard that they taste very strong.
They are strong but boy they make a great omelette.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 21:47   #54
God Member

Quote:
They are strong but boy they make a great omelette.
Lead in the pencil.............so I'm told

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 21:51   #55
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
To my thinking what to look for is a bright orange yolk....depending on the breed of the hen and a tell tale sign when you crack the egg into the pan which tells you if it is a battery hen or free range.
It is only there when the hens are running with a Cockeral.....I am sure someone will tell us?............go for it.
The colour of the yolk also changes depending on what you feed them.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
same with them Cadburys chocolate eggs , they are a lot smaller than they used to be , used to be you had to bite the top off to lick the stuff out , now they fit inside your gob in one go
I reckon your right.. my mate put 2 in his gob ..he was salavating all over his kitchen ..but after about an hour he said he had ate them..pillock! don't mean it
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 14:21   #57
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Eggs is Eggs

Quote:
2 fried eggs 3 rashers of bacon 2 sausage mushrooms tattie scone a fried tom fried bread. Now the question is "what else tasty can I add?"
Sauté kidneys.

Maybe a small square of lamb’s liver and small piece of fillet steak with brown sauce or tomato ketchup to taste.
Old 11-09-2008, 15:04   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Sauté kidneys.

Maybe a small square of lamb’s liver and small piece of fillet steak with brown sauce or tomato ketchup to taste.
Special Blend Ketchup obviously..............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 15:19   #59
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Special Blend Ketchup obviously..............
Off course! I would have nothing else now.
Old 11-09-2008, 15:32   #60
Apprentice Geriatric

Can someone confirm that if an egg floats in cold water it is NOT FRESH?

Whereas one that sinks IS FRESH. Or have I got it the wrong way around?

This raises the question of - after how many days is an egg no longer considered as fresh?

How long will an egg remain edible at room temperature? What about an egg kept in a fridge?

I only buy what are labelled as “Organic” eggs from Asda. There are two sizes, medium and large and I haven’t noticed any size reduction over the years. I buy the medium ones because they fit in the egg tray in the fridge, whereas the larger ones do not. Well they do but not side by side.

I understand that it is the wrong thing to do to keep eggs in a fridge. I’m told that they should be kept at room temperature especially if you are going to boil one. Maybe it is time for me to change my preference and the way that I store them?

The methods for boiling the perfect soft boiled egg are many and various but neither is right nor wrong, just what you prefer. I place a medium sized egg straight from the fridge into a saucepan nearly fill of cold water and set the stop watch going. Once the water starts to boil I turn the gas down so that it just simmers gently. After 5 minutes the job is done. It takes 6 minutes for a large egg.

Has anyone ever boiled an ostrich egg? I wonder how long it would take?

When cooking an egg the yolk will only start to cook at 70° C whereas the white will cook at about 65° C so for a soft boiled egg ideally the water temperature should never rise above 65° C but it would take 10 or 12 minutes or even longer to cook.

There are two basic ways to eat a soft boiled egg. I prefer to slice the top off the ‘pointy’ end to let the witch out, whilst others prefer to beat the end and peel off the broken shell. But most people seem to agree that the egg should be placed in the eggcup ‘pointy’ end upwards.

Do a Google for some interesting facts about boiling eggs. Believe it or not some boffin has come up with a formula for the ‘perfectly’ boiled egg.

I think that for my tea today I will have 3 lightly scrambled eggs on two slices of toast. Now scrambling eggs is an art if the end result is not going to be what is in effect a scrambled omelette.

Years ago you used to be able to buy a set of egg scrambling pans. These were a saucepan that you filled with water and a frying type pan that sat snugly on top of the saucepan. Once the water boiled you kept it simmering and scrambled you egg in the frying type pan. The gentle heat enabled you to make the perfect scrambled egg, although even then you should take the mixture off the heat before it was fully cooked. It’s own internal heat would finish off the cooking.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..