Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 08:19   #1
God Member

Eggs is Eggs

Has anyone noticed recently the fact that chicken eggs are shrinking?

I bought 4 last week from Morrisons and have just had one for my breakfast and it looks like a pigeon laid it.

Are they not feeding the chickens enough?

Have we got Anorexic chickens?

They will be the size of quail eggs soon.

anyone else noticed that?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:20   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Eggs is Eggs

I noticed that with the Asda Smart Price ones that I got,t hey were tiny and had a very small yolk
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:27   #3
Resident Waffler

We get ours from a farm. Maybe it's the battery hens which are finally failing to produce normal size eggs after generations of confinement.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:28   #4
God Member

up until i fell out with my neighbour we used to get them from a farm in Ribchester and they where much bigger
Old 08-09-2008, 08:28   #5
Senior Member+

quite possible. Might start getting mine off the market, the free range eggs are so expensive though
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:30   #6
God Member

There is a lot of "shrinkage" going on so that they can maintain there prices and its not just supermarkets as even Macky D's are at it. Its been happening in the sweets industry for years because if you think back al those years ago to those you ate as a kid they have shrunk. To the point that flashy made on the eggs it might be a false econemy as sometimes say for scrambled egg you could need half as many eggs again as you did originally.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:39   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
quite possible. Might start getting mine off the market, the free range eggs are so expensive though
There are allotment holders locally who sell eggs.
My supplier has put his price up in the past year because the cost of chicken feed has gone up.
He says he will always be cheaper than the supermarkets.
The hens are positively free range (can see them running about on grass).
Sometimes the eggs are so big that the eggbox lid wont shut.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:56   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Maybe it's the battery hens which are finally failing to produce normal size eggs after generations of confinement.
Maybe they just need recharging
Old 08-09-2008, 09:02   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe they just need recharging

What with hormone and steriods?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:11   #10

I watched that Jamie Oliver programme, forget what it was called now (funnily enough) but that really made me think about chickens and eggs.

Now I only buy free range chicken and eggs. I know not everyone will change their opinion, but I feel like I'm doing my bit.

I feel that all chickens and indeed all livestock should be allowed to live their lives out in the fresh air and not be cooped up (excuse the pun) as they are. They don't have long on this planet as it is, so what little time they have should be as free as possible.
MissTechnophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:11   #11
God Member

The Wandering Wilber kind that have there equivelent of 5 star food do drop better tasting and looking additions to my bacon butty. On a slight "off road" theme when they end up as roasters do they taste as good? Had Free Range eggs but never a roaster.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:51   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTechnophobe View Post
I watched that Jamie Oliver programme, forget what it was called now (funnily enough) but that really made me think about chickens and eggs.

Now I only buy free range chicken and eggs. I know not everyone will change their opinion, but I feel like I'm doing my bit.

I feel that all chickens and indeed all livestock should be allowed to live their lives out in the fresh air and not be cooped up (excuse the pun) as they are. They don't have long on this planet as it is, so what little time they have should be as free as possible.

was that not the one where Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall brought Jamie Oliver onto his programme on his 'chicken out' campaign?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:56   #13

I don't think so, it was the one where he was doing live slaughters on TV - fairly recent perhaps a couple of months ago? Pretty horrific stuff
MissTechnophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:57   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTechnophobe View Post
I don't think so, it was the one where he was doing live slaughters on TV - fairly recent perhaps a couple of months ago? Pretty horrific stuff

lol Hugh did exactly the same, they where both involved in the same campaign
Old 08-09-2008, 09:58   #15
Senior Member+

ewww......the one with the chicks in the electrical box, that was horrible!!!!!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..